Author Topic: Cb550 brembo dual disk conversion  (Read 6984 times)

Offline Habbyshaw

Cb550 brembo dual disk conversion
« on: December 23, 2011, 04:37:16 pm »
Hi all,

I have been searching near and far for any links that will help me convert my cb550 brake system into a dual disk bermbo setup. I have found a few links to a Post by Bryan Jones http://www.sohc4.net/index.php/archives/53 that apparently has some good information on dual disc conversion but it has since been moved.

If anyone can point me to a place that may Shed some light on this topic please send it along. I would especially like to keep my stock fork and mount dual disks and Brembo calipers on it. I do have the ability to machine custom parts if necessary. Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Boston
Ryan

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
Re: Cb550 brembo dual disk conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 01:20:23 am »
me and brent have dual brembo f05  setups in our racers, search our threads

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 01:36:39 am »
TG you'd probably have to point out the threads, I don't think the new version of the board allows one to search for posts by username.  He'd have to get real lucky with what he's searching for to find anything otherwise. 

Speaking of those F05's, they're not exactly growing on trees are they?  I can't find any for sale anywhere, just rebuild kits.  What else did they come on besides old Ducs and Guzzis?
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:34:43 am »
They are a bit tough to find here fastbroshi. I watched e-bay for a while before a pair came up. Check a Ducati or MotoGuzzi dealer if you have one close-by, and check e-bay in Europe. 

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 10:46:55 am »
 Hre's one for the rear if anyone is interested........ http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Brembo-F05-Rear-Caliper-/160703031627?hash=item256aa5a94b&item=160703031627&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Damn expensive for one used caliper !    >:(    Why does it have to be a f05 calipers ?  Cant you use other Brembo calipers with an adapter mount ?
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 11:47:27 am »

F05's are NLA; F08's are readily available, though. RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 03:58:04 pm »
That's a good question BlueTurbo.  Anyone have any input as to why everyone's using the F05s?

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 05:06:42 pm »
I wouldn't say it was a common swap. I talked with TG early on when I decided to follow his lead and install the F05's. These are of course for a 150kg motorcycle where huge brakes aren't needed and where lightness is a virtue! Even with smaller pistons than original they are opposed twin and in my opinion stronger than twin stock calipers. There are still parts available for the F05's including crazy good race pads....a perfect fit for a middleweight race bike. I believe one caliper is 350+ grams less than stock.

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 06:13:12 pm »
 Damn, if your worried about weight in " grams " or even a couple of pounds, don't load up yer plate
 at dinner time and go for a walk everyday and loose some weight.   :o   Way cheeper !   ;)
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline mickey6

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 06:27:50 pm »
I'll give it to ya that grams and pounds add up but.......
If ya want to get rid of more weigh quicker for free ditch your center stand.
76 cb750F in 7 boxes
73 cb500 daily cafe

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 07:55:36 pm »
Center stands and loosing weight huh? Who'd have thunk.  ;)

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 08:13:08 pm »
Damn, if your worried about weight in " grams " or even a couple of pounds, don't load up yer plate
 at dinner time and go for a walk everyday and loose some weight.   :o   Way cheeper !   ;)

Heh, screw that, I like me some Hamburger Helper!!  You make a good point about losing weight though.  Seriously, if you switched from two stock 550 calipers to two of those Brembos, your looking at 700g+, well over half a pound of unsprung weight.  That's pretty significant if you ask me.   

I wonder if there's a formula for the effects of sprung vs unsprung weight in a suspension system?

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 08:18:54 pm »
Center stands and loosing weight huh? Who'd have thunk.  ;)
LOL
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 12:14:10 am »
OK, no 550 but 750. But use Brembo P08's, are a fair bit bigger than the 05's but there are so much good to excelllent brakepads available, which make up for any extras weight.

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 06:34:40 am »
Of course Rob is right. When I was planning my bike I couldn't get my head around not having anything but dual discs and strong brakes. I definitely got what I wanted, but one larger diameter disc/caliper would be every bit as strong and probably lighter. Staying with "in period" components to satisfy vintage rules would have also been possible. No different on the street.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 02:25:39 pm »
sure bigger might be better but most racers round here, fit 08's to 750-1100 class bikes, and 05's to 250-500's. nothing to prevent you from fitting 08's to a 550, but there are excellent pads for 05's too and my bike pulls stopies with them. not less important for me at least.... in swap markets here in italy, 05's cost less than half than the very much sought after 08's! way easier to find them at least here.

they were fitted to many small benelli's too BTW

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 02:34:27 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with the Grimeca version of these calipers? 

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 02:36:30 pm »
+1 on that TG, but if finding the 05's is a prob, one can consider the 08's.
@ fastbroshi: I used one once but as a rearcaliper. Worked fine.

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 02:40:04 pm »

TG, I've been beating my head against the wall here trying to ID a front end:  I have a set of marzocchi 35mm forks with Marzocchi triples and friction adapter with black knob. They have mounting centers for F05 calipers. If I post a photo, do you think you might be able to help ID them?  Thanks.  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 06:54:54 pm »
I bet the folks over at BevelHeaven would know.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 11:31:25 pm »

TG, I've been beating my head against the wall here trying to ID a front end:  I have a set of marzocchi 35mm forks with Marzocchi triples and friction adapter with black knob. They have mounting centers for F05 calipers. If I post a photo, do you think you might be able to help ID them?  Thanks.  RR

sounds like typical ducati pantah 500-600, but sure, send a photo. pm me if you dont have my email

Offline solo 2

• Enthusiast
You know you've achieved perfection in design, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing left to take away.

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 11:53:19 am »

sounds like typical ducati pantah 500-600, but sure, send a photo. pm me if you dont have my email

Thanks, TG. That's what I found so far, but certain small details haven't matched up with the few decent pics of the Pantah/Allazurra I've found online. Plus the fact that it has a friction adapter built into the steering stem. Maybe it's a marriage of Pantah forks with earlier Marzocchi triples? I just dunno. I'll take some pics today and post them. Thanks again!  RR