Author Topic: cyclex 750 transmission  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Pecantree

• Hot Shot
cyclex 750 transmission
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:58:36 pm »
Does anyone have experience with cyclex rehabbed transmission.
Trying to figure out whether to buy a unknown used gear assembly off ebay for $75  or
spring for the $300 rehabbed from cyclex. It does have backcut dogs which is a big plus. And it's just a drop in.
Thoughts???? :o

http://www.harvestclassic.org/

"The suspect had experienced a ballistic interlude earlier in the evening" Miss Pao said, "Regrettably not filmed, and relived himself of excess velocity by means of an ablative technique."         ......    ?    ........         "She say you have road rash."

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: cyclex 750 transmission
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:02:38 pm »
Does anyone have experience with cyclex rehabbed transmission.
Trying to figure out whether to buy a unknown used gear assembly off ebay for $75  or
spring for the $300 rehabbed from cyclex. It does have backcut dogs which is a big plus. And it's just a drop in.
Thoughts???? :o

Are they high temp coated as well.? if they are i would be buying the cycle x one....  Might have to get one for myself....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 09:05:36 pm »
in my opinion a used gear assembly has come out of a case set that was opened up because something was wrong,,why isnt it all back in the case,,unless the case was damaged?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 01:56:07 am »
its not the gear teeth as much,these never wear out,its the actual dogs and slots and the groove the fork rides in,aswell as the forks themselves,a novice will only look at the constant gear meshing teeth and think all is well,if the actual engagement contacts are worn or the shift drum zig zag machining itll jump out of gear,or be hard to select.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 02:13:41 am »
for example this 500 transmission would sometimes jump out of third but mostly second,the engagement dogs and slots were worn but also on the 500s the shiftdrum itself can float sideways,this moves the fork aswell,it only takes a few heavy full power jump outs to ruin these,most dont get addressed untill its buggered those dogs and slots,,this fault was also improved on with the 550s.,,all these gears look good,,and they are,its the dogs/forks and slots which are worn out here.

the shift drum on 500s can be shimmed on the left side,,itll bear against the case though but it does work,,the drum is held by a feeble special bolt with a collar,,which was the factory upgrade from a detent type ball assembly shortly into production.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:22:31 am by dave500 »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 04:15:52 pm »
A clever person can on some bikes improve dog contact with shimming under circlips etc. since there is so much constant mesh tooth contact. Never tried it on SOHC 750 as they  gave me excellent service. Not sure if I'd bother with undercutting or if the case hardening is a factor or is affected.

If you had ridden with both on a 750 you would know that the gear change is a lot better with undercut gears,  and less inclined to jump out of gear or find false neutrals. An excellent mod for anyone that likes a bit of spirited riding or for HIPO engines. Both my engines have undercut gears...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.