Author Topic: 1978 CB750 carbs pressed in idle jet  (Read 2085 times)

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
1978 CB750 carbs pressed in idle jet
« on: September 15, 2011, 10:43:41 am »
I was going through this set of carbs cleaning and replacing float needles and checking the jets and noticed that the idle jets are pressed into the carb. no way to get them out

I ran a .008 thousandths guitar wire through them to see if they were clogged and there was no resistance at all. I am wondering if they could still be clogged and if there is some way to get them out of the carb body. Anybody have experience with this type of slow jet?

Offline thewudd

Re: 1978 CB750 carbs pressed in idle jet
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 08:54:51 am »
i know this was some time ago....but i wrapped mine in a fold of cardboard and twisted and tugged w/ a pair of pliers.  they came out w/ no damage. 

be sure to spray the passages while you have them out...

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:07:30 pm »
That may have cleaned the main passage but there are little holes off to the side of every pilot jet I've seen.  In other words, they need to come out...Larry

Offline mrrch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 01:10:16 pm »
Good idea to check the accelerator pump action while the carbs are off, make sure each tower in the carb bores squirt a good stream of fuel when assembled and bowls have fuel. If not it is time to clean the check valves (go to Hondachopper.com and find it in the tech section)
my build

1977 CB750K WITH 1976 CB750F ENGINE

Offline Blackandsilver

• dont forget the joker
  • Enthusiast
  • Motorcycles kill brain cells
    • 76 cb750
1978 CB750 carbs pressed in idle jet
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 01:10:29 pm »
Yup. Pull them out with pliers. I use locktight when putting them back in.

Win some lose some, it's all the same to me.
I will never die

Offline yozuri54

• Honda Shop tech 1974-1982 (Chicago area)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 02:22:51 pm »
Attaching picture of my favorite type of pliers for yanking those pesky pressed in jets. They have a wider jaw with lots of grip. One tip: firmly clamp the jet along it's entire length (not just at the top), tight enough to avoid slipping, but not so tight as too deform it). Then use a sort of gentle pull/twist motion. Once you do a couple, it's pretty easy. When clean tap them back into place using a plastic or aluminum hammer.

Offline yozuri54

• Honda Shop tech 1974-1982 (Chicago area)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 02:29:28 pm »
Let's try this again...sorry for the duplication:

Attaching picture of my favorite type of pliers for yanking those pesky pressed in jets. They have a wider jaw with lots of grip. One tip: firmly clamp the jet along it's entire length (not just at the top), tight enough to avoid slipping, but not so tight as too deform it). Then use a sort of gentle pull/twist motion. Once you do a couple, it's pretty easy. When clean tap them back into place using a plastic or aluminum hammer.
     If the jets are plugged and compressed air won't open them up - try soaking them in carb cleaner overnight and try again. Stubborn deposits may require a butane torch to melt the goo out. I also have used a very small sewing needle to poke through the crud as well. Overall, just be patient and don't try to force anything. Good Luck!

Offline fayettebr

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 03:48:22 pm »
Just got finished doing that. Like they say, grab them tight with a good pair of pliers twist and pull. I put a rag over it and barely mared the jet.  Spray everything with carb cleaner and pop it back in and twist. Mine felt snug so I did not use any locktite. You'll be able to see when they are in all the way. There will be a line where it discolors. I was a little stressed about doing it for the first time but it turned out to be one of the easier tasks.
GL

bollingball

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 07:13:01 pm »
If you don't pull them now you will later ;D No other way to clean them.