Author Topic: Rotten rusted CB750 aka The Red Rider OUT OF HIBERNATION  (Read 63645 times)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
Re: Rotten rusted CB750 : swing arm and rear wheel install
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 08:29:13 pm »
Lookin good
 8)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 08:33:11 pm »
Thanks brandEn.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2012, 01:21:50 am »
Lookin good
 8)

+1, and that's a fetching shade of pink Larry, you don't see many frames that color! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2012, 02:40:05 am »
Lookin good
 8)

+1, and that's a fetching shade of pink Larry, you don't see many frames that color! ;D

Real men ride pink motorcycles ;) :D....................actually it is red, but I may consider doing a 400 four cancer awareness bike pink. thanks, Terry....Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2012, 04:13:39 am »
Ha ha, I like a man who can take some good natured ribbing. I was just looking at your past rides, you've had some interesting bikes Larry, I'd forgotten that I had a TX500 back in 1977, I actually really liked that bike, (I traded it in on a new CB750) but when I bought it I had a choice of buying it or a Ducati Silver Shotgun 450 for the same money (450 bucks) and, .......... I took the Yamaha. If I'd bought the Duke and I still had it, it'd be worth a tad more than 450 bucks now? Oh well...........  :-[ :o :D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2012, 04:39:15 am »
For the would have/should haves :'( :'(.   If I had the cars: two 51Chevys(one had a 58 Corvette motor 8), 55 Chevy sedan, 55 Nomad wagon, 57 and 58 Chevy sedans, 65 Mustang,etc.
I recently did some work on a customer's TX500, it had a Hooker(not to be confused with the bikes and babes thread) header and really ran well-much better than I remembered-and that doesn't work all that well anymore...Larry

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Rotten rusted 750
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2012, 08:28:09 am »
G'Day Larry, I suspect that old chain lube and road grit has caused more damage to CB750's than just about anything else. Rotting exhaust pipes is another example of muck blocking drains and causing extensive rot. Cheers, Terry. ;D

If no water can get inside the frame then you won't need a drain.
No oxygen - no rusting.

Offline Mcwilliams570

• Hot Shot
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2012, 11:24:18 am »
Looking good Larry......Next time I come over will make sure Megan brings you one of her pink sweatshirts...:)

Matt
My CB550 project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=101182.0

Project UFB Cb550 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112143.0

Like a 10 dollar hooker on Friday night its going to be ridden.

1974 cb550
1975 cb550
2005 vmax
2009 vmax-sold
1981 gl500i

mrjack55

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2012, 12:22:41 pm »
You're making some nice progress there Larry.  I almost didn't recognize that rotten old frame. ;) ;)
Don't let Terry rib ya to much.  After all, he did build the "Rainbow Warrior". :o :o  It's FABULOUS!!! 8) 8)   

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2012, 04:21:17 am »
You're making some nice progress there Larry.  I almost didn't recognize that rotten old frame. ;) ;)
Don't let Terry rib ya to much.  After all, he did build the "Rainbow Warrior". :o :o  It's FABULOUS!!! 8) 8)   

Ha ha, what a kick in the nuts Jack! I was feeling a tad guilty for grinding the lobes off that RC cam I sent you so as to reduce the shipping costs, but now I don't feel so bad! ;D

mrjack55

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2012, 06:03:05 am »

Ha ha, what a kick in the nuts Jack! I was feeling a tad guilty for grinding the lobes off that RC cam I sent you so as to reduce the shipping costs, but now I don't feel so bad! ;D

Aw crap!  I forgot about the cam. :o :o :o  Terry have I mentioned that you are a wonderful human being with many skills and talents? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2012, 09:14:47 am »
 Did I hear the letter RC ?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline wedoo2

• Hot Shot
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2012, 03:00:02 pm »
RC has one of the prettiest billet clutch baskets evva.   Keep going Larry, that pank bike is looking good.
Some days the sun is too loud.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2012, 06:54:09 pm »
thanks wedoo 2.  I am getting close to having a rolling chassis, will have some up to date photos in a couple days...Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2012, 11:37:38 pm »

Aw crap!  I forgot about the cam. :o :o :o  Terry have I mentioned that you are a wonderful human being with many skills and talents? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ha ha, thanks Jack, I glued the lobes back on, so it should work fine........... ;D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Rotten rusted CB750: reassembly begun
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2012, 03:08:35 pm »
Well I finally got some time to begin reassembly of the new/old frame. I've been taking some time to look for a house that would be better for my present age and financial consideration.  Soon to turn 65 with 6000 of my salary going for taxes ??? ??? :'( :'( :'( so I am looking for a smaller house with a bigger garage that I can pay cash for after I sell this house. Shouldn't be too hard (except for selling this house) as the market is plummeting in Chester County, PA, which I think is the highest taxed county in PA-if not the USA.

Frame is painted with new ID and numbers

[imghttp://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/photolar/red%20black%20750/DSCF2144.jpg]http://[/img]

I prepared the rear sprocket for a new bearing by freezing the new bearing, which I have 5 extra of the 6305 if anyone needs one

Then using the special :P tool to remove the retainer. Again, no heat nor rust dissolver needed

Put the sprocket in the oven, removed bearing from freezer and it literally dropped right in. Tightened and peened retainer.

Wheels installed, so I now have a rolling chassis :)  Which enables me to get the Red Rider off the lift so I can fix my daily Silverwing rider-the carbs all of a sudden decided to leak.  There have been some great riding days here but I have had to take the 4runner when I could be riding :-[

More photos to come later, having trouble with photobucket right now...Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Rotten rusted CB750 aka Red Ryder: reassembly begun
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2012, 03:42:42 pm »
Finally decided on a name - Red Ryder, haven't shot my eye out yet ::)

Photos of gauges, wiring mess and rear wheel

I have a low mileage(6000) motor from a 75 F that I plan to install.  Remember the original had 75000, but it did run well and wasn't noisy.  I'll need to get my Silverwing carbs cleaned before I can get back to Red Ryder...Larry

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2012, 03:54:25 pm »
Nice work, its coming together.

BTW I have a photo for you.

You can use a grinder tool to remove or tighten that rear bearing retainer.
This tool was from a DeWalt hand grinder.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »
Thanks lucky.  I had seen your post of that tool. I don't have a Dewalt grinder and I am in the process of designing a universal tool that should work on any Honda retainer.  Meanwhile the allen wrenches and vise suffice...Larry

Offline wedoo2

• Hot Shot
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2012, 04:40:26 pm »
Don't mistake that bearing for something that goes in the Moose Tracks.   :)
Some days the sun is too loud.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2012, 05:43:52 pm »
Think I'll use the Red Ryder to get the Moose :D...Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2012, 09:05:19 pm »
Looking good Larry, and it's a shame you have to sell the big house, I think you mentioned that your wife has passed, are you on your own now?

Here's a bearing retainer removal tool I made to remove Cliff's CB450 retainer, but it'll work on a 750 as well. 1 piece of 25mm x 5mm steel strap, and 2 x 5mm screws with lock nuts. Use the bike's axle to hold the tool tight into the retainer and give the tools handle a whack to "crack" it, then just wind it out, works great! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2012, 09:32:46 pm »
Nice work!
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2012, 12:02:38 am »
Nice work!

But is it REALLY nice work :P ::) Thank you...

Looking good Larry, and it's a shame you have to sell the big house, I think you mentioned that your wife has passed, are you on your own now?

Here's a bearing retainer removal tool I made to remove Cliff's CB450 retainer, but it'll work on a 750 as well. 1 piece of 25mm x 5mm steel strap, and 2 x 5mm screws with lock nuts. Use the bike's axle to hold the tool tight into the retainer and give the tools handle a whack to "crack" it, then just wind it out, works great! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Terry,  I like the idea of using the axle to keep the tool firmly in place.  Did you do the work over the grate so you could loose any nuts, bolts or tools down under (bad pun)?  I was thinking of something similar but with slots on either side so the bolt/nut combo could be changed to different sizes and widths. 
 Yes, Judy died almost exactly 5 years ago-it is time to move on.  My son still lives here and my daughter is in college.  I need the garage to be as big as the house 8) ::)....Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2012, 12:34:39 am »
No worries Larry, I've always wanted a house inside a garage, it'd be great to get up in the morning and walk straight out into my garage, and to be able to park all my bikes and cars around the house under cover, and out of sight of nosey neighbours etc. No grass to mow, no gardens to weed, you could air-condition your whole property, how good would that be?

My wife thinks I'm mad, (as do the staff at the sanatorium) but I think they just don't have any imagination........

"Hey! Can someone loosen the straps please? It's really hard to scratch my balls with my nose!"  :o