Author Topic: Rotten rusted CB750 aka The Red Rider OUT OF HIBERNATION  (Read 63661 times)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: Rotten rusted CB750 aka Red Ryder: reassembly begun
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2012, 08:17:55 am »
Could not blow the picture up on the house but looks like a nice big old stately place and brick also,yeah no paint.Lets see Lancaster county,does that mean you will have a crew of Amish guys out there working on the bikes for you,if not they do work on houses around here though and are good craftsmen.   PS-Don't get me started on TAXES either  :P

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2012, 09:08:22 am »
Could not blow the picture up on the house but looks like a nice big old stately place and brick also,yeah no paint.Lets see Lancaster county,does that mean you will have a crew of Amish guys out there working on the bikes for you,if not they do work on houses around here though and are good craftsmen.   PS-Don't get me started on TAXES either  :P

As they say in Lancaster County, you bet.  I'll work on the house and leave the bikes to the Amish :P ::) :-[.   :-[ They do good work and are a bit cheaper than the English(as they call us).  I found an Amish tack shop that replaced the zipper in my leather pants for $3 :o  Needless to say I gave him more than that.

I know a lot of the Amish have moved from here to Wisconsin to become cheeseheads ???  So they have also infiltrated Michigan?  I have gotten to know quite a few from interactions at my job at The Home Depot.  The men have a great sense of humor-the also like to go to the local watering hole Sunday night and watch football and DRINK :o

I don't know why the pics won't enlarge, I did something different and copied them to my photobucket account from a listing site.  Thanks for the interest....Larry

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2012, 10:46:27 am »
Northern Indiana and certain areas around Michigan where I live hold large pockets of Amish communities. Now enough of all that, you need to get back to work-----   :)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2012, 08:32:07 pm »
Maybe you should let them do the house work and you keep the bikes and work on them?!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2012, 10:54:41 pm »
Maybe you should let them do the house work and you keep the bikes and work on them?!

I have sold two off and plan to sell at least three more.  I will be needing cash to cover the swing loan and it is less to move.  I am handy but, yes, the Amish or others will be doing the roof repairs and other major work.  Once the exterior is back in order, I can get back to bikes( I think I have three project 750's and a 400 to complete) and the interior..Larry

Offline Mcwilliams570

• Hot Shot
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2012, 02:26:43 am »
I think you need to find these Amish kids to help you out Larry :) http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/national_world/2012/03/13/terror-in-the-streets-amish-drag-racing.html..

See you tomorrow..

Matt
My CB550 project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=101182.0

Project UFB Cb550 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112143.0

Like a 10 dollar hooker on Friday night its going to be ridden.

1974 cb550
1975 cb550
2005 vmax
2009 vmax-sold
1981 gl500i

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2012, 08:11:48 am »
I think you need to find these Amish kids to help you out Larry :) http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/national_world/2012/03/13/terror-in-the-streets-amish-drag-racing.html..

See you tomorrow..

Matt

Link came up as not found.  see you....Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2012, 05:37:22 pm »
Well, the decision being made to put the low mileage F motor in came to fruition today.  Forum member mcwilliams570(aka Matt) came by this morning and gave me a hand leveraging the engine in. Went in smoothly, only putting a couple nicks in Red Ryder's frame.

Used the mc jack that I only use for the purpose of bringing a motor up to frame height to make it easier to install.

Installation successful.

And the Jardine headers will work but I'll need to get 8 2-3mm spacers to fill the gap between the exhaust flange and the head.

This is the space that needs to be filled, probably will work without a collar....Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2012, 03:59:34 pm »
Had a few extra moments this morning to do a bit more work.  Removed the Jardine header because I was not happy with the security of the exhaust flanges, so I went to the local hardware store and found eight stainless steel allen head flange screws as well as a tube of blue Loctite.  That will enable me to get more leverage when tightening the retaining screws and the Loctite should prevent them from vibrating loose. Stainless screws were a dollar each-well worth getting rid of the #3 phillips screw that were provided.

Views from either side

them went to forum member mcwilliams570 for bratwurst and sohc talk...Larry

Offline Mcwilliams570

• Hot Shot
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2012, 04:21:23 pm »
Thanks for coming over for dinner Larry.

Matt

1974 cb550
1975 cb550
2005 vmax
2009 vmax-sold
1981 gl500i

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2012, 05:03:00 pm »
Thanks for coming over for dinner Larry.

Matt

Who is that old man in the photo?  Thanks again...Larry

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2012, 12:23:37 am »
Ha ha, more importantly, who owns the Firebird next door? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Mcwilliams570

• Hot Shot
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2012, 06:13:17 am »
Hello Terry no firebird next door just a 1985 vette(black) and a mazda mita(blue)...

Matt

1974 cb550
1975 cb550
2005 vmax
2009 vmax-sold
1981 gl500i

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2012, 01:59:20 am »
Hello Terry no firebird next door just a 1985 vette(black) and a mazda mita(blue)...

Matt

Oops, you're right mate, they're not that common on this side of the pond, very nice! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Rotten rusted CB750 aka Red Ryder: RESURRECTED
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2012, 06:51:17 pm »
Well, after a long delay I finally found some time to tie up some of the loose ends on this build.  I wound up with a low mileage 750 F motor, a number modified frame and a bazillion hours but the bike is close to finished-I actually got to ride it today for a short 10 mile test ride.  Came back with oil on the swing arm and chain  ???.   The K motor had a small connecting pipe for the lower hose from the back of the oil reserve tank but the F motor had a large outlet. I tried pushing the small hose from the tank into the large hose from the F motor and using a clamp.  Did not work, so I have to come up with some sort of adapter.  Anyone have an idea?  If my description is not clear i plan to take some photos tomorrow to show the dilemma. Needs some fine tuning but I am pretty happy with the results.  Photos to follow...Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2012, 09:53:32 pm »
Well, after a long delay I finally found some time to tie up some of the loose ends on this build.  I wound up with a low mileage 750 F motor, a number modified frame and a bazillion hours but the bike is close to finished-I actually got to ride it today for a short 10 mile test ride.  Came back with oil on the swing arm and chain  ???.   The K motor had a small connecting pipe for the lower hose from the back of the oil reserve tank but the F motor had a large outlet. I tried pushing the small hose from the tank into the large hose from the F motor and using a clamp.  Did not work, so I have to come up with some sort of adapter.  Anyone have an idea?  If my description is not clear i plan to take some photos tomorrow to show the dilemma. Needs some fine tuning but I am pretty happy with the results.  Photos to follow...Larry

I know what you're talking about larry, I've got a K6 engine in a K1 frame with a K1 oil tank. Do you have a later model oil tank in with your spares? If not, I'll turn you up an adapter like the one I made myself for my bike. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2012, 12:50:15 am »
No spare oil tank in my stash other than one from a K7.  Wonder why Honda changed the size? Usually the company likes to be uniform with their parts as it saves inventory room.  Oh well.  I appreciate the offer, Terry.  If I cannot find something in the plumbing section of Home Depot I'll take you up on it...Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2012, 01:29:28 am »
No spare oil tank in my stash other than one from a K7.  Wonder why Honda changed the size? Usually the company likes to be uniform with their parts as it saves inventory room.  Oh well.  I appreciate the offer, Terry.  If I cannot find something in the plumbing section of Home Depot I'll take you up on it...Larry

No worries mate, it's only a 5 minute job on my lathe, so "freebie time". ;D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2012, 01:58:09 am »

Terry, do you make a reducer that connects the two different size hoses?  ...Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2012, 02:31:41 am »
Yeah mate, that was what I was talking about, I made one for my K6 engine - K1 oil tank, just machined outta aluminum bar stock, but 7 years down the track it's still working, and it aint leaking. ;D

Offline Mcwilliams570

• Hot Shot
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2012, 07:24:28 am »
Glad you got it running again Larry. By chance do you have that old enduro bike that Terry wants  I think I might get it and make a cafe racer out of it.:)

Matt

1974 cb550
1975 cb550
2005 vmax
2009 vmax-sold
1981 gl500i

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2012, 02:31:20 pm »
Glad you got it running again Larry. By chance do you have that old enduro bike that Terry wants  I think I might get it and make a cafe racer out of it.:)

Matt

Don't do it Larry, I get paid next Saturday and I'll send you a deposit, just to keep the beautiful CZ out of Matt's evil mitts! ;D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2012, 03:39:52 pm »

Matt

Don't do it Larry, I get paid next Saturday and I'll send you a deposit, just to keep the beautiful CZ out of Matt's evil mitts! ;D

Remember.....$50 down, $50 a week...............................................for 50 years. 

I think I found a barbed fitting in the plumbing section that may work.  Need to go out to the shop, remove the oil tank to check it out.  The end that would go into the larger hose is threaded but I am fairly certain a hose clamp will provide adequate sealing.  Of course I could always use some silicone sealant and let the next owner worry about the destroyed motor...Larry

Offline Mcwilliams570

• Hot Shot
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2012, 09:11:18 am »

Matt

Ah Terry just giving you a hard time I have seen you talk about that bike a few times seems like you have some good memories of that bike. Hmmm just talked to Larry and someone is buying the bike wonder who that could be.:)

Matt

1974 cb550
1975 cb550
2005 vmax
2009 vmax-sold
1981 gl500i

Offline Mcwilliams570

• Hot Shot
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2012, 06:38:50 pm »
Larry your part should be in on wed or thursday.

Matt

1974 cb550
1975 cb550
2005 vmax
2009 vmax-sold
1981 gl500i