Author Topic: Rotten rusted CB750 aka The Red Rider OUT OF HIBERNATION  (Read 63678 times)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Rotten rusted CB750 aka The Red Rider older Blues Brother K0 comes home
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2012, 03:09:49 pm »
WOW, great work on the rebuild and WOW to the find!!!! I recently sold an engine with an extremely close vin to your frame.. I mean extremely...... Can you get some more upclose pics??????????????? My hunting for CB's has actually become pretty non exsistent since I got my Gold K1 but will be picking up soon...
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline ferrodo

« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2012, 03:16:47 pm »
Great find Larry and best of best of luck...

Offline Mcwilliams570

• Hot Shot
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2012, 03:54:54 pm »
Nice Larry work has been kicking my ass will try to get out and see you this week pizza is on me...
My CB550 project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=101182.0

Project UFB Cb550 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112143.0

Like a 10 dollar hooker on Friday night its going to be ridden.

1974 cb550
1975 cb550
2005 vmax
2009 vmax-sold
1981 gl500i

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:57 pm »
Good deal at $1K.  Is it in running cond?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2012, 09:11:49 pm »
WOW, great work on the rebuild and WOW to the find!!!! I recently sold an engine with an extremely close vin to your frame.. I mean extremely...... Can you get some more upclose pics??????????????? My hunting for CB's has actually become pretty non exsistent since I got my Gold K1 but will be picking up soon...

Close ups of the motor?  and thank you for the compliment on the Red Rider.  You've had some great finds , keep up the good work...Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2012, 09:22:16 pm »
Stev-O,  was given the old ran when parked routine, but I actually believe him as it has all the signs of a fairly well taken care of bike.  I plan to spend some time later today getting it running.

ferrodo,  thanks for the kind thoughts..

Matt, I am off Thursday and Friday, hope to get together either day...Larry

mrjack55

« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2012, 09:13:51 am »
Damn Larry, you are the king of CB750 deals.  Nice score.

If you or anyone you know are interested, I still have all the parts and pieces to my K7.  I never did find a buyer, nor do I have the ambition to put it back together.  It's all there, it's just all disassembled.

Anyway, great score on the Blue.  Your stable has to be getting kind of cramped by now.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2012, 05:38:15 pm »
Damn Larry, you are the king of CB750 deals.  Nice score.

If you or anyone you know are interested, I still have all the parts and pieces to my K7.  I never did find a buyer, nor do I have the ambition to put it back together.  It's all there, it's just all disassembled.

Anyway, great score on the Blue.  Your stable has to be getting kind of cramped by now.

I have 4 750s now.  I was planning on reselling the one I got from you  but have become attached to it-I really like the black/red theme along with silver and chrome.  I even found a Hondaline jacket to match the bike.  Camera quit the other day so I don't have any photos..I'd might be interested in the K7.  Hope all is well with you...Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2012, 07:15:20 am »
The Red Rider is finally complete  :D as I found a pair of matching jackets on CL.  I was surfing Philly CL when I came across a post for a pair of Hondaline jackets for the kings ransom total of $50.  They retail for close to 400 each so I went somewhere in the backwoods of the Pine Barrens to get them-a medium and a large, both in brand new condition. It is an awesome jacket-warm, comfortable, waterproof.  I wear a medium so there is an extra large jacket that I'll sell if anyone would want it.

Almost like the jacket was made for the bike ;D ...Larry

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2012, 07:45:36 am »
WOW.. She came out great... Did you clear coat the tank over or give it a high buff?
You got a selling strategy if you decide to throw in the coats! Add a few hundo to the value

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2012, 08:07:36 am »
More photos of the blue bike

anyone recognize the header?

the carb to air box boots were rock hard.  Looks like the PO tried to remove the air box without softening the boots and cracked the case :(

The lower air box was off when I got the bike

Unfortunately the fork ears and headlight shell were removed and replaced with chrome.  I am fairly sure ears from a 450 will fit, it'd be a lot less than whatever price someone would be asking for KO.

Gauges are nice and the PO did replace the chrome rings, as well as new handlebars and a set of 1 into 4 throttle cables.  I hate that stupid ignition bracket.

One of the few spots of rust as the bike was mostly stored inside.

Small dent in the tank, plus the inside is pretty crappy.

I got the bike running the other day ;D ;D ;D ;D (so the PO was telling the truth ;)) but gas was pouring out from the T fittings between carbs 3 and 4. I softened the manifolds, used the same technique I use on K1-6 carbs- and heard the telltale crack just when the carbs were almost off.  :-[ :-[ :-[ Talked to several people and two recommended a local Amish aluminum fabricator.  I went to him yesterday, he looked at the broken bracket and said in his distinctive dialect "Yah, I think I ken fix it fur you".  10 minutes later he came out of his shop with a one piece bracket and asked for the outrageous  :P :P sum of $5.  I was expecting 40 minimum.  I gave him twice what he asked for.  Here is his repair along with the softened in wintergreen/xylene  boots(thanks to this forum for that technique).

All for now,  out to the shop to reinstall the carbs(crabs?)...Larry

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 06:03:18 am by MoMo »

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2012, 08:10:45 am »
WOW.. She came out great... Did you clear coat the tank over or give it a high buff?
You got a selling strategy if you decide to throw in the coats! Add a few hundo to the value

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.  I did not paint the tank nor know anything about the job. It was like that when I got the bike, I did paint everything else though...Larry

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2012, 08:49:42 am »
pretty sure the header is MAC...positive the muffler is MAC
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2012, 01:47:03 pm »
pretty sure the header is MAC...positive the muffler is MAC

Thanks for the info, assumption would be the header would be the same as the muffler but you know what happens when you assume things...Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2012, 02:02:35 pm »
Nice soft, pliable intake manifolds. That black crap seeping out from the valve cover is a bit scary,but it is hard so I do not think it is silicone.

Carbs installed but the old air box cannot be used until some type of repair is made on the cracked bracket.  All needed pieces are missing :(

[img]http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/photolar/Blues%20Brother/SAM_0018.jpg[/img

...Larry

Offline slyguy

« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2012, 07:41:33 pm »
wow Larry, interesting thread...funny thing is my 4/70 KO serial #33xxx has the same dent in tank and carb plate was broken in same spot..:( boots are the same condition, Yours almost look new..nice job with those! Where do you get that wintergreen stuff?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2012, 08:48:25 pm »
How much for the XL jacket?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2012, 01:02:24 am »
quote author=slyguy link=/topic=100274.msg1298865#msg1298865 date=1353642093]
wow Larry, interesting thread...funny thing is my 4/70 KO serial #33xxx has the same dent in tank and carb plate was broken in same spot..:( boots are the same condition, Yours almost look new..nice job with those! Where do you get that wintergreen stuff?
[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment.  The broken bracket was done by me  :o :-[.  The wintergreen was purchased off Ebay, recollection was two 4 oz bottles with shipping included for less than 20. I have an old paint can with the mixture of 4oz wintergreen to a gallon of xylene stored in it-has kept well for the entire year.  After the softening process(took a bit over  a day) I then cleaned them with  Krud Kutter and then wiped down with Orange Oil.  yes, they do look new and feel it too ;) :).  Have fun with your KO...Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2012, 01:05:52 am »
How much for the XL jacket?

The extra jacket is a large not xl.  I am 5'7" 165 lbs and it is a bit long in the sleeve length and shoulder width.  The medium I am keeping is a tiny bit snug around the chest but fits better than the large.  IOW, the sizes seem to run a bit small...Larry

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2012, 01:33:37 am »
Beautiful work Larry, have you found a K0 engine for it yet? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2012, 03:37:47 am »
Beautiful work Larry, have you found a K0 engine for it yet? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Thanks  Terry.  No, of the 4 motors I have laying around none are even close.  I am pretty lazy and try to make do with what I have so it will probably remain as is unless a motor happens to fall from the sky into my lap.  I have already been offered 2000 for the bike as it sits....turned it down...Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2012, 06:12:20 am »
More photos of the blue KO

Decent side covers even though one was repaired

Nicely recovered seat

Odd looking backbone :-\  any  thoughts?

Off to work at Home Depots Black Friday event.  I cannot believe all the crap the corporate purchasing agents bought.  Pet beds, mattresses, tents, cookies, remote controlled toys at the world's largest hardware store :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ ....Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2012, 03:46:35 pm »
Cleaned the tank with The Works diluted 50/50 with water after removing this hose from inside that tank, cannot fathom why it was laying inside

Inside was not too bad, should be useable with two inline filters.  I do not like coating the inside; if at all possible i avoid it, especially during the cold season.

Homemade plug with a rubber gasket cut from an inner tube to seal the petcock area

Came out fairly clean

I used The Works followed by a bath in the heated cleaner we have in the tool rental section of work, then rinsed with WD40 mixed with some 2 smoke oil.  I'd love to get my hands on a 2 stroke street bike-nothing like the smell of 2 stroke in the morning :D :D.

Here is a photo of the inside of the butchered air box, I can fix it but it won't be pretty-merely functional

all for now...Larry

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2012, 09:38:05 pm »
Good work Larry. The airbox design was probably OK, but the material was rubbish, I bought a repro airbox for my K0 resto, and the guys at LPM used a material very similar to the K1 - onwards airboxes, so they should last forever. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2012, 03:51:06 pm »
WHAT AN IDIOT.   I spent a couple hours today fiddling with the leaky carbs  (even getting another set ready to install) when it dawned on me that the drip coming from the center overflow tube was a cracked stand pipe-can't be anything other than that or a cracked bowl.  Pulled the bowls and sure enough two of the bowls have hairline cracks in the stand pipes.  I happen to have a couple extra sets of later model carbs so installed the bowls from them, synced the carbs and went off for a test ride. No bogging, good power, idles smoothly, shifts well, etc. etc.  I usually do a series of test runs before I conclude the bike is reliable:  first around the block(one of the 750s I bought did not even complete that phase-$800 wasted but it did come with Lester wheels and decent cosmetics), second phase 5 to 10 miles and the final test is a weeks worth of commuting back and forth to work.

Photo of the carbs before I removed them.  The PO had drained gas from the carbs but not the tank

Too cold now but I'll go out tomorrow for the 5/10 test ride before I head off to work...Larry