Author Topic: Rotten rusted CB750 aka The Red Rider OUT OF HIBERNATION  (Read 63709 times)

Offline Stretch

• Enthusiast
  • They ain't all dirt roads!
Re: Rotten rusted CB750 aka The Red Rider OUT OF HIBERNATION
« Reply #250 on: July 05, 2015, 06:31:26 pm »
Tell me a little about your sabre.
'78 CB750K
An assortment of Hondas, mostly V4s

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #251 on: July 05, 2015, 06:47:21 pm »
Tell me a little about your sabre.

this link should direct you to the CL posting  http://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/5102852288.html   If not let me know...Larry

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2015, 06:10:53 pm »
Those early Honda V twins were seriously fugly Larry, but it's still good to see one in one piece and looking so clean. I was given one in pieces a few years ago, but I just kept the forks and brakes and gave away the rest, back in those days no-one would consider rebuilding one as the cost would outweigh the value of one, but nowadays, they're probably quite collectable due to the small numbers that survived. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #253 on: July 06, 2015, 06:25:27 pm »
Those early Honda V twins were seriously fugly Larry, but it's still good to see one in one piece and looking so clean. I was given one in pieces a few years ago, but I just kept the forks and brakes and gave away the rest, back in those days no-one would consider rebuilding one as the cost would outweigh the value of one, but nowadays, they're probably quite collectable due to the small numbers that survived. Cheers, Terry. ;D

It is a Vfour Terry and it really is a nice bike-quick, fairly light and handled well back in the day but a bit clunky now, and reliable.  Not much interest so far, one idiot had the nerve to offer me 600 cash for it

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #254 on: July 06, 2015, 06:39:59 pm »
Nice bike Momo, hopefully someone else will see it and appreciate it. It is attractively priced I think  Nice looking bike and like you say,  reliable and fairly quick.  Odds are people just don't know about it and if they had more knowledge about it they might be interested.  A few more shots showing the bike profile an how she sits might be helpful.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #255 on: July 06, 2015, 07:28:01 pm »
Nice bike Momo, hopefully someone else will see it and appreciate it. It is attractively priced I think  Nice looking bike and like you say,  reliable and fairly quick.  Odds are people just don't know about it and if they had more knowledge about it they might be interested.  A few more shots showing the bike profile an how she sits might be helpful.

thanks David,  maybe I'll add some more photos from different angles...Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #256 on: July 06, 2015, 10:48:58 pm »
Sorry Larry, of course they were V4's, I knew that, I had a VF1000F for a (very) short while, it was just a brain fart, I guess? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #257 on: July 07, 2015, 05:08:50 am »
Sorry Larry, of course they were V4's, I knew that, I had a VF1000F for a (very) short while, it was just a brain fart, I guess? ;D

Confucius say real fart better than brain fart.....

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #258 on: July 07, 2015, 05:10:22 am »

;D ;D ;D

Confucius say real fart better than brain fart.....

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #259 on: July 07, 2015, 05:48:26 am »
As long as it's only a fart, and not a shart............ ;D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #260 on: July 07, 2015, 10:59:58 am »

It is good to wear brown underwear?????

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #261 on: July 08, 2015, 03:25:08 am »

It is good to wear brown underwear?????

Only if they came from the factory that color............. ;D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #262 on: July 08, 2015, 05:19:48 am »
Brown undies for senior citizens.  Bathroom humor aside, got home the other night at dusk and when I pulled into the driveway the headlight and taillight quit.  When front brake lever is pulled the taillight comes on but the rear brake works normally.  Have not had time to check it out but it sure seems like another Emgo failure.  Trying to finish up the DS6 and get it off the lift so I can roll Red Rider up for repair....Larry

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #263 on: July 12, 2015, 10:19:32 pm »
Ugh,  more insult to injury.  Need to do the relay bypass on those cheap a-z  emgo switches as they aren't made well.  They sometimes are like a roll of the dice for some riders anyway.  Having bad luck with them.  Their quality is sketchy and sometimes they are trouble free for a long time.
I am going to have to change my CX500's switch I am afraid....it is flaking out.

Good luck MoMo! Post some pictures when you get time.
David

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #264 on: July 13, 2015, 09:11:34 pm »
Well the culprit was not the ignition switch, not even sure what it was but I took off the fairing and headlight, grabbed the bundle of wires inside headlight shell and all is back to normal.  No matter what I do I cannot get the lights to shut off again.  Installed new sealed battery(will never use another acid battery again after seeing the damage to this bike's original frame.  ...Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #265 on: July 14, 2015, 01:17:38 am »
I've used "acid" batteries in all of my bikes except the Triumph which I think has a gel battery, and the only problem I ever had was a battery exploding when I was installing a Dyna 3 ignition on my first F2 and I sat a spark plug on a lead above the battery when I cranked the engine (no, I don't know why either, it was late and I was tired) and it went "BOOM", dripping acid all over the place, but the garden hose sorted that out before any further damage was done. I don't know if it's realistic to replace all 6 bike batteries and 9 more car batteries "just in case", over here a quality gel battery costs around 150-300 bucks depending on size, and that aint hay........... ;D 

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #266 on: July 14, 2015, 02:58:56 am »
Gel batteries are less than 60 shipped , haven't had any trouble with any brand as of yet.  Knock on wood(picture knuckles on head)..Larry

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #267 on: July 14, 2015, 03:27:21 am »
Knock on wood(picture knuckles on head)..Larry

And that's the better picture of a wood  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #268 on: July 14, 2015, 02:33:21 pm »
Gel batteries are less than 60 shipped...

Where'd you find that?  I just bought a Scorpion for $74 shipped.

+1. No more acid batteries for me either. I have one in the RD350 but will be changing that out soon.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #269 on: July 14, 2015, 07:34:18 pm »

+1. No more acid batteries for me either. I have one in the RD350 but will be changing that out soon.

Ebay, a generic Chinese brand for 44 with shipping included.  With the state of modern technology it seems to me that it would be hard to make a piss poor battery.  Haven't had any problem with them.   Do you have my old 750 Steve?   ...Larry

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #270 on: July 14, 2015, 07:47:36 pm »

Do you have my old 750 Steve?   ...Larry

Yes, Matt made me a sweet deal I could not refuse.  He suggested I sell the Lester's to pay for the shipping, so those will be going to Greggo in a couple weeks.  (I'm one of the few that doesn't like Lester's).
I'm ready to start the H2 motor rebuild so your K4 is safely tucked away in the back of the Batcave awaiting her turn.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #271 on: July 14, 2015, 07:51:43 pm »
Selling the Lesters was one of my plans for the bike but I had it for so long without working on it that I sold it to Matt when he expressed interest in getting a big boy Honda. Actually, he has a couple big boy Yammies.  I had the original motor running but the cases started to crack so I shelved the bike.  There is a 400f for sale on the forum in Austin...Larry

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #272 on: July 14, 2015, 08:16:20 pm »
So, Steve should buy it for you and you then arrange someone to transport her to PA for you....so you can give her more love...?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #273 on: July 14, 2015, 08:30:55 pm »
Selling the Lesters was one of my plans for the bike but I had it for so long without working on it that I sold it to Matt when he expressed interest in getting a big boy Honda. Actually, he has a couple big boy Yammies.  I had the original motor running but the cases started to crack so I shelved the bike.  There is a 400f for sale on the forum in Austin...Larry

Why did the cases crack?  And then you changed out the motor??
Has the wrong front end on it but I have parts so no biggie. 
We just need to do the title work!

I think Matt used the cash I sent him to (partially) buy the big Yammie. 

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #274 on: July 14, 2015, 08:37:15 pm »
Shifting has been improving on the Red Rider, it definitely requires a precise, almost double-tap shift especially from 4th to 5th.  May decide to sell it though, especially if the Price Is Right(where is Bob Barker when you need him?)  Some recent photos of Red Rider and my new PC

All for now, time to go out for another joyride on the PC ;)  I like the term PC because I am the most politcally correct person in the world(maybe that should be in the BS post?)...Larry

That bike on the right is strange looking, seems like I've seen one before though.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.