Author Topic: 1973 CB750 Rebuild  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Kerrigan

1973 CB750 Rebuild
« on: March 13, 2011, 01:33:18 am »
So this is my first post, project, and also first motorcycle.  Just picked her up a few days ago from some good 'ol boys in North Carolina.  I paid $900 knowing what problems would probably come for a bike that runs at that price.  In the few hours I've had to work on it so far I've seen what needs to be done.  Today I stripped the seat, rear fender, air box, carbs, wiring harness, exhaust and manifolds, oil res, headlight, and some random other tidbits.  All of which are going to be replaced with new parts.  Not my first time around the block mechanically, but this is my first motorcycle so I'm trying to keep a level head and my wits about me.  All in all its been fun so far, I really can't wait to take the block off and dig inside of that.  Anyway, here are some pictures of what I've done since I've picked her up.  I'm hoping to have the engine and trans rebuilt plus the frame powdercoated within the next week and a half or so.  Not trying to rush this, I really want it done right and as much of it done by me personally.  All I can really say is that I'm already in love with this beast.  Almost forgot to say this has a Harley rear wheel!  Apparently this was a big thing to do back in the day to CB's?  Not too sure, but I plan on returning it to an 18" after not too long.  This is going to get cafe'd out once its through.  Pics:

Engine

[X] Athena Gasket Set

[X] Honda OEM Primary Chains

[X] Heavy Duty Cylinder Studs $78.95

[X] 1194 Gasket Sealer $7

[X] Heavy Duty Cam Chain $39

[X] Cam Chain Tensioner $49

[X] Cam Chain Roller $20

[X] Cam Chain Roller Pin Rubber (2) $5

[X] Hex Head Engine Screw Set $34

[ ] Rod Bearings Set of 8 $92

[X] NSC Special Edition Exhaust $300

Ignition

[X] Dyna-S Ignition $133

[X] Black Spark Plug Wires 7mm $19

[X] 5 ohm Coils, Dual Output $130

[X] NGK Iridium Spark Plugs $42

Electrical

[ ] Wiring Harness - Making my own $? 

Handling

[X] ALL BALLZ Tapered Roller Bearing kit For Steering Stem $36

[ ] Tarozzi Rearsets $295

[ ] Tarozzi Clip-Ons $119

[ ] Race Tech Fork Springs $ 124

[ ] Race Tech Fork Emulator $160

[X] Fork Seals $7

[X] Fork Dust Caps $10

[ ] YSS E-302 Twin Rear Shocks $299

[ ] Hondaman Swingarm Bushing Kit $200

Wheels & Tires

[ ] Sun Rim 1.85 x 18 in. Front, 40 Spoke

[ ] Spokes TBD

[ ] Sun Rim 2.15 x 18 in. Rear, 40 spoke

[ ] Spokes TBD

Tools

[X] Spark Plug Wire Crimping Tool $12
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:11:55 pm by Kerrigan »

Offline Kerrigan

Re: 1973 CB750 Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 10:48:14 am »
It's bee a couple of weeks and I really haven't had the time to work on the bike like I had originally anticipated.  All is well though, should have the engine off to be blasted and powder coated in a few days.  Not sure what kind of color combo I'm going to go for, I know I want the fins black but I'm really nervous about having them coated with something that will retain heat.  Anyone have experience with this?  If I can get this figured out I'm going to aim for early next week to have it wrapped up and back together.  Looks like its time to make a wiring harness :P

Some pictures of my bedroom floor at the moment...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:51:07 am by Kerrigan »

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 10:58:13 am »
Instead of powder coating the block you can get a heat disapating ceramic coating for the same money.  I did it to a Z1900 project and it really works.

Offline Kerrigan

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 06:44:32 pm »
Wow.  So it's been a long time since the last update.  Unfortunately not much has happened, I've ordered some parts but there hasn't been much progress at all between me moving a couple times and going back to school.  Money has been tight but I've been ordering parts.  I was really hoping to have this bike running by the beginning of last summer, looks like I have the same goal only a year late haha!  Well heres some updates and a couple of pictures.  I'll have more up in the next few days, as well as a comprehensive list of parts I ordered and plan to order up in the first post that I will continuously monitor.

I purchased Carpy's $300 exhaust after reading decent reviews, but was quite unimpressed with what I received.  Apparently the production has changed hands, as this exhaust is not worth what I paid for it.  My original plan was to have it ceramic coated but the amount of burrs, grind marks, grooves left in it from machinery, and the rough welding makes me hesitant.  I think the best bet will be simply to wrap it and leave it until I find something more suitable to replace it.

Other than the exhaust the other parts I've ordered so far have been fine.  I'm looking forward to getting the motor coated and strapping this #$%* back together.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:50:51 pm by Kerrigan »