Author Topic: timing light constantly on??  (Read 2450 times)

Jersey550F

timing light constantly on??
« on: May 07, 2005, 10:18:34 am »
I am trying to check my timing (static method) and my timing light is lit constantly???  I have the ignition on, one lead to ground (on case)  and one lead to the blue wire.  The light should be off and subsequently turn on when it's supposed to spark correct. Help. Thanks.

Bike= '77 550F

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: timing light constantly on??
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 10:36:43 am »
Here's how I connect the static light, hope it helps and you can make out the photo, but in short (bad choice of words?) one connection to the elec. lead to the points the other to the stationary side of the points themselves. Should have added, the light is "off" when the points are closed and "on" when the points are open. You want to find the spot where the light just comes on and the points are just opening.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 10:44:31 am by Bob Wessner »
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Jersey550F

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 10:42:00 am »
Your plate/wiring is set up a bit different from mine but I do believe I get what you mean.  I'll go and check this method. Thanks for the quick reply!

Jersey550F

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 11:05:56 am »
It worked! Thanks! That bloody book, that's the second time it's led me astray.

mongeon

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 02:27:48 pm »
I am having a similar problem.  It seems to work fine for the 2-3 point, but not the 1-4.  I replaced both points because the 1-4 seemed pitted, but am having the same problem.

When I turn the plate until the light comes on, I have to turn it quite a bit for the light to go off again.  Then I have to turn it a lot for the light to come on.  I can't seem to find the exact spot where the light will go on or off with a tiny adjustment.  Again, this is just the 1-4.  I tried the best I could to get the same gaps on both.

Thanks for any help
Chris

don_m

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 03:16:07 pm »
The vaiation in the light coming on at one position & off at another may be to the advance mechanism being held back by the points rubbing block whie the crank is turned backwards.  Always check by turning the crank backwards beyond maximum advance, then forward until the points open.
Cheers, Don (Psycle) Madden.

Offline oldbiker

• Expert
  • I HATE RAIN
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 03:44:55 am »
If you find the range of movement for the back plate does not seem to be sufficient to get the timing right, it is permissable to adjust the points gap very slightly. Making the gap smaller effectively advances the ignition and making ithe gap larger retards the ignition.

Offline oldbiker

• Expert
  • I HATE RAIN
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 03:50:04 am »
SORRY, I typed those the wrong way round. Bigger gap gives effective advance, Smaller gap gives affective retard.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 10:55:24 am »
Points.....I forgot what they looked like! ;D ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Mikeshonda750F

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 04:28:34 pm »
Heh i wish i could forget!! If only they would offer something like a dyna or boyer at a cheaper price!

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 03:01:08 am »
Agree.

Dyna S retails at £115 over here, plus same again for the coils.
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)