Author Topic: turn forks around ... caliper ? is this good info??  (Read 1952 times)

Offline messeduptriple

• Hot Shot
turn forks around ... caliper ? is this good info??
« on: January 15, 2012, 03:25:39 pm »
Ive been posting status periodically on my other tracksportriding forum for fun...I posted a picture of my horrible looking fork seals, i got this message in reply. What do you think???
***plus i dont know how to bleed the calipers, was gonna take them in to be done properly**
** also my calipers are really bad looking..I would like some new ones..any suggestions???

You've got it all apart, after all...

A lot of bikes of that period had their brake caliper mounted in front of the fork. Meanwhile, you'll recognize that after and currently, calipers are mounted at the back.

You can improve the handling of an older bike with the calipers at the front of the fork by moving them to the rear of the fork. Probably easiest to just flip the whole fork and wheel assembly around. I know that the Honda floating pivot system does work that way as I raced a CB400F for some folks...for a period of time, the calipers at the front, and later at the back. The bike didn't have so much of a wobbling problem, but there was an improvement even in its general steering as the mass of the calipers were now closer to the center of gravity of the bike. Should be an easy mod that makes it different...but I'm not sure if you're going for a stock look, a mod look, or just a play bike.

I think the only part that becomes complicated, if I remember correctly, is that you'll probably end up bleeding the caliper off the rotor so that you can get air out of the bleeder in a position that allows the air out at that higher point...which won't be at the higher point swapped over.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:27:54 pm by messeduptriple »

Offline messeduptriple

• Hot Shot
Re: turn forks around ... caliper ? is this good info??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:26:17 pm »
76' honda 550

Offline messeduptriple

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 03:27:08 pm »

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Offline rbmgf7

• 2>4
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 03:41:33 pm »
How have you raced bikes but don't know how to bleed brakes? It's as easy as changing the oil.

The calipers are rebuildable. If the piston is siezed, there's many tricks on popping it out. A new seal is in order and depending on the nature of the piston, new ones are available.

The design of the stock caliper location is really intended to work the way it came from the factory. If you flip them, in theory, they bind but most have not had any problems flipping them. The float isn't really a float like current calipers. If you notice, they pivot and need adjusting accordingly. Since the rotors don't float like current rotors, I wouldn't want to risk the chance of flipping the brake location.

Albeit, I'm speaking from the 750 perspective. Not sure how the 550 functions.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:43:23 pm by rbmgf7 »

Offline messeduptriple

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 03:52:31 pm »
Thanks. Yea I've been shown twice and just haven't gotten it..lol. I just have my buddy come over beginning of the season and have him do it for me. I'll correct u that I don't race..I do trackdays. I think ill prob just leave them the way they were intended...just wanted to hear what others thought of this.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Offline kyre

• Hot Shot
    • CB400F / 466 Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 07:41:24 pm »
I've had mine flipped (dual disk) on my cb400f for the last 8 years with no problems.
CB400F / 466 Build Thread (currently in progress)
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=105027.0

Offline cavebear

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 01:45:46 am »
Just flip the forks around. The only mod needed is to cut ears into the disc for  speedo cable housin on the front hub. I' try and post a photo tomorrow.
1975 MotoMartin 836cc
1976 Rickman 1150cc Turbo
1977 Seeley 890cc + 1/4 stroke
3 parts bikes,1970K0 to 1978ss

Get paid to do it,it's work; pay to do it,it's a hobby

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 10:11:45 am »
If you run a stock fender you may need to drill out the rivets and reverse the bracket. If you run without a fender a fork brace is in order.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.