Author Topic: 1982 cb650...."The Divorcer"  (Read 20978 times)

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
Re: 1982 cb650...."The Divorcer"
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 08:08:26 am »
NICE!!! I don't see many old bikes in nice condition anymore. Comforting to see more out there. Yes i still need those parts. I just sent you a pm.

Heres a link to Adams bike/pics on the 650 site.    http://www.hondacb650.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2947&p=18955#p18955

You still need the tube and parts?

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2011, 05:50:58 am »
Man that was fun!!!!! :-\...getting these carbs done was work....i ended up loseing a floatbowl due to it falling out of the car at work and someone finding it by running over it.....how did it get IN the car? I am glad you asked....my gues is my 3 year old!!!!! Thats how i lose most tools! minor scratches on the bowl. Thank God!!

Soda blasted it....ran out of soda at the end so i janked my wifes laundry detergnt.. and to say it worked better than the soda...a little more abbrasive but still soft enough not to pit or scratch anything!.....still need to get rebuild kit for it...and waiting on a emulsion tube....BUT ITS DONE!!!!

looks better than the first post of it further down

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2011, 05:54:20 am »
one thing to add...the carb on the far right....it was stained black as you can see?????? would NOT come off????

any answer to what gives would be great...like what caused it and is it a problem, last how to removed it?

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2011, 06:32:16 am »
moving on moving on....Got her half way undressed last night...never had a top off to a bike b4 so if they are any cleaner that what this one is.....well....dang! I thought it was great for sitting around for 7years.  to pull the head i have to get the 2 middle spark plugs out, they are n the way of 2 bolts. So going by the Zone to get an 18mm thin wall spark plug socket tonight....heard on here that will be my best friend...then OFF WITH ITS HEAD,,,LOL,,,,,no turning back now!!!!!!

what has been removed so far

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:59:23 am by Ouch »

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2011, 06:10:17 am »
GOT IT!!!! was a little annoying because of the 2 small bots that where hidden(atleast i didn't notice them)
I am not doing the work on the head...I am sending it to "headwork of Nashville" ($165 )they have a website if you need to check them out....

didn't waste any time cleaning them and ,I don't know if it actually proves anything,  i put oil in the pistons to see if it drains any..and that was 3pm saturday and this morning none have drained....So does this actually prove anything or just gives one an idea???? I'll post pics them clean after i drain the oil.

not bad...i was actually expecting far worse for sitting around uncovered....

lots of carbon build up...

looking at the valves.....

And this is the one I am worried about....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:31:02 am by Ouch »

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2011, 11:25:49 am »
hacked the gauges and moved them closer together....was un-sightly....now looking to steal ideas for the indicator lights, key switch and choke position....

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2011, 08:00:38 am »
I hate waiting for stuff...i ordered the repair manual for this thing and he sent the wrong one...he sent a cb900 repair book...now sending it back and waiting for the right one...i feel like there is more sitting around waiting than working right now....ahhhh the madness.....

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2011, 12:26:04 pm »
http://cosky0.tripod.com/    Have you tried that?   Its from Volkers tag.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2011, 12:32:11 pm »
http://cosky0.tripod.com/    Have you tried that?   Its from Volkers tag.

Terry, i downloaded, printed, and made a book of the whole thing..but a few things are different between the pages and what i actually have...like the carbs for instance..so i bought a book..couldn't really pass it up, it was on amazon for $20 and i had a $15 gift card and shippin was 3bucks. ..what does Volker do, the man is a computer of knowledge. He has an answer for just about every question...?

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2011, 03:07:50 pm »
Yea forgot it covers the 79/80.

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2011, 11:10:25 am »
ok...how about an update....helped the parents build a new house and just had a baby... the bike was shut down for a while...so no more neglecting it.... put on drag bars, head cleaned and checked, made a seat (not in pic), made a mold for the rear tail light (until my 4year old used it for a batman mask) that is now broke, moved gauges closes together, and doing some planning on how i want the dummy lights & ignition st up

ok so after installing the head..i was on the last stage of tightening the bolts down when i heard a "BONG" i looked down and cryed...a broken rocker arm...(had timing wrong, misteak cost)

Well through the suggestion of a friend...."you might have bent a valve" i took the head back off and yup..bent one...so as of today..i have both rocker arms, valves, and valve removel tool on the way

I might actually get done with this bike if i stop breaking things... ::)...and so the build goes on....
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:21:04 am by Ouch »

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2011, 02:38:06 pm »
Sent u a pm on the 650 site.   When its all done we'll have to plan a ride and meet halfway somewhere.  I'm sure some "pinhead" will tag along.   ;D

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2011, 04:43:06 pm »
Grab a beer and sit down. I have a story to tell. I was 14 was a friend of the family gave me their old 1982 cb650. That was my first cycle. I slowly started restoring with the help of my dad. We de-rusted the tank, clean the electronics up, and "I" pulled the carbs and cleaned them. I was so proud of my self. I took my time to get it all right. Soaked them in some junk i cannot remember now, slowly put them back together, and put them on the bike. (Just you know, it did start b4 i did that to the carbs, there was bad build up on the bottom of the bowls). I filled the tank with gas, sat down on the bike and begain to start it. Just in case a bowl was stuck i put a rag under the carbs to catch gas. I fired it up and got it running. Back firering and spitting and sputtering she was,,, but she ran. Then I smelled GAS!!!! Looked down between my legs and sure enough, carb 2 was pouring gas out. Before i could get off the bike it backfired, the gas caught FIRE, started burning the old eletrics, some how went up to the gas tak. I yanked the tank, tossed it out on the driveway (beside my dad's NEW truck, and just to add the bike was sitting be side a 1976 "Stingray Corvet"). All the while the bike was still on fire. Ran got the hose finally put out both the tank and bike. I was devestated! Sold the bike for $50 a week later. 2 weeks after that the "friend" I sold it to drove up to the house on it telling me how great a bike it is. I still hate him to this day....

Never put water on a gasoline fire!

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2011, 05:44:35 am »
got the valve out and TADA>>> no surprise BENT

What I didn't like finding was a cracked rocker box

All this due to not align the timing right....UGH :o
Finily got somthing fixed that didnt break...the front caliper was stuck so i turned on the air compressor stuck the nozzle that has a rubber tip on it and slowly they came out...i did brace them against somthing so they didn't blow across the garage..i don't need anymore thing breaking windows...the wife still doesn't know about that :-X....

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2011, 08:08:48 am »
So got the valve in,,,head back on,,,rockerbox on....timing set....and...to no surprise  a problem...assuming the timing is set right...with all rocker adjustment adjusted out (actuall sitting on the table) and all rockers are loose except intake on Piston 2 and exhaust on piston 3!?!?!?!? I took it all apart, still no change, so i'll post up for any advice befor i take it to a shop to set timeing and let know me know where i went wrong....

thanks in advanced

Offline Tokay

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2012, 02:06:27 pm »
Hey Ouch, any progress to report?

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2012, 02:45:30 pm »
Deffinatly,, i just forget to post up alot...got the timing set, carbs bench synced and installed,  mufflers on, covers on,...waiting on grips, starter switch......the last PO was tool  :o, he did a number on the wiring when he lost the key.. >:(..But man after all that has gone wrong it was nice to see it come back together...I am looking to feburary to fining turing it over  ;D ;D ;D
Hey Ouch, any progress to report?

Offline Tokay

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2012, 04:02:50 pm »
Sounds good. I'm trying to get my 82 Nighthawk 650 dialed in now. lots of carb issues, but getting better. I also just ordered new sp plug wires and caps. The old ones work, but are old and mixed from the PO so i figured I may as well eliminate any potential issues and replace with new.
Thanks for sharing your saga!