Author Topic: coils....  (Read 3658 times)

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
coils....
« on: March 31, 2005, 06:21:15 am »
ok here goes.... i have been tring to find a hesitation in the F1... when it being riden... and am at the point that i am checking the coils.

+now i have checked the primary coil... and it is reading 5.2 ohms, for both coils... so thats ok
    +now i am trying to check the secondary coil, and when i put the ohm meter up the ends of the leads, it shows a number around 14Kohms for a split second... then nothing.
    + now this should be a constant reading?... i have a set of VF750/1000 coils that i have made a mount for ... and when checking these they read 3.4ohms primary, and 14kohms secondary... and the secondary reading is static... it stays on the meter...

My question is are my standard coils stuffed?.... is is that the way they are ment to react?...i am getting a very weak spark from the plugs,but am getting propper voltage at the coils.. according to the DYNA 'S' trouble shooting tests....

The weak spark would also explain why i am on my 3rd set of plugs this month.... any thoughts NEone? ???

you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline Dennis

• Hot Shot
Re: coils....
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 06:30:27 am »
are you checking with caps on the wires or removed?
what is the condition of the wires?
what happens if you move the wires around while measuring?

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 06:33:18 am »
no caps, just the wires... and wiggling them dont seem to make a difference....i am pretty sure they should show a constant reading.... but thought i would get a second opinion... the VF coils show  constant....and they are made by the same ppl, so i think that my standard coils are stuffed... and will fit the modified coils on the week end... unless anyone can tell me otherwise...cheers for the reply
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline Dennis

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 07:41:18 am »
I would think that it should show a steady reading.
It it were mine and I had spares, I wold swap them.

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 11:52:42 pm »
here are a couple of pics of the VF750/1000 coils mounted...