Author Topic: Dreaming of a build  (Read 2071 times)

Offline ZanVooden

• I don't need no stinkin' title
  • Hot Shot
  • This was suppose to be a quick one month job...
Dreaming of a build
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:57:52 am »
So I recently bought a Rayjay "f" flow turbo from Blue71Turbo. I was concerned about the size of it for a 750 but Blue said is it the smaller version of the "f" so its just slightly larger than the "b" flow.

At this point this is all just in the planning stages but I'm looking to build a similar bike to the 836cc Turbo that Jim F. is building.

In order to help my concern about the size of turbo I'm looking at using cycle x's 915cc kit http://www.cyclexchange.net/Engine%20Parts%20Page%20%28Non-Cafe%29.htm (the full kit including the sleeves, and getting their super rods)

The problem with this would be the CR is 10.25. My question is would simply machining the pistons down to flat top reduce the static CR enough to make the turbo effective?

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
Re: Dreaming of a build
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:58:20 am »
I lucked out and called MTC about some turbo pistons and they just happen to have a set
of 65mm pistons on the shelf

You could call Ken and Cycle-X and ask if he might have some turbo pistons for the 915 kit

I checked with Wisco about machining some turbo pistons and they wanted about $700.00 to make some

If your not going to run a lot of boost then you might can use a thicker head gasket and a base gasket
but whats the point of a turbo if you can run more than a few pounds of boost
keep us posted on your build

good luck

Jim F
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline ZanVooden

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:22:22 pm »
I lucked out and called MTC about some turbo pistons and they just happen to have a set
of 65mm pistons on the shelf

You could call Ken and Cycle-X and ask if he might have some turbo pistons for the 915 kit

I checked with Wisco about machining some turbo pistons and they wanted about $700.00 to make some

If your not going to run a lot of boost then you might can use a thicker head gasket and a base gasket
but whats the point of a turbo if you can run more than a few pounds of boost
keep us posted on your build

good luck

Jim F

Thanks Jim. I'll give Ken a call and see what he says.

I dont want to go the route of thicker gaskets. I'd rather have turbo pistons.

By the way, I forgot to attach a picture of the turbo.

I'm basically building the bike around this, so it a bit of a backwards project. By all the parts then buy the bike.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 04:25:07 pm »
Talk to Kevin at scramblercycle.com in Cameron WI

He may have the bike I sold to him a couple of years ago.........a '77 F model with standard 836 pistons meant for a K model..........should be about right for a turbo.........and with a better head waiting for some boost. 
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline ZanVooden

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:46:16 am »
Yeah, pretty sure that bike is sold, but that does bring up a good option.
What about using a late model F head on an early engine?

Does anyone have the comparable dimensions so I can calc the compression?

Offline ZanVooden

• Hot Shot
Preparing for a Turbo Build
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:14:52 pm »
So I picked up a bike today. Its a 1976 750, and it came with a second frame and engine, and a handful of 77 or 78 part for $400.

Its at least a start. I'll need a front end for sure so I'm thinking a GL1000 or as I recall there a Suzuki front end that bolts up pretty easily with just some bearings.

This will be on the back burner for a bit till I finish up my 76 gl1000 ltd. So I'm just going to continue to amass parts for now.

Here are the craigslist photos. I'll take better pictures when I remember my camera next time I head to the shop.