Author Topic: If I buy this CB400F what would you expect I would have to do to get it running?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Kurt V

Here is what the seller has told me:

"1976 CB400f. 12k miles. All original,no restoration. I am 2nd owner and have put on less than 1 mile on it before turning it into house art. NEEDS BATTERY to function. Spark plugs currently out with storage oil in cylinders and cranked over weekly. Gas tank and carbs drained. Tank fogged with storage oil. New tires. Orig owners manual and tools. 3 small cosmetic issues that are hard to see. Comes with orig mirrors and spare filters.Exceptionally clean. It has been indoors for over 7 years. All rubber with the exception of the plastic tool box cover (pure unobtainium) visually looks good. A battery will be needed. My only concern would be the carb internal rubber o-rings. The carbs were drained and the bike run,until it died, to pull any old gas out of the jets,Overhaul kits are still availiable on ebay fron a canadian source or various websites. The front brake still feels good after flushing the fluid a few years ago.I have only enjoyed it visually (along with an SRX600 in the office) and never intended to put it on the road."

So assuming everything the seller says is true, and it passes my visual inspection, what are the chances I could just put a battery and gas in and get it running? Or should I just go ahead and pull the carbs and replace the o-rings?

On another note, from looking at ebay it appears that obtaining parts is not much of a problem. But are there any parts that are no longer available? My present bike is a 1976 BMW R75/6 and you can still get every single part for it. This will be my first foray into the world of classic Hondas.

I know if you are like me you like pictures of motorcycles. Here is a picture of the bike in question:

And here is a pic of my BMW:

1976 Honda CB400F-original survivor
1976 BMW R75/6
1993 Ducati 900SS

Offline JustinLonghorn

If the motor is free, it shouldn't take much at all to get it running.

I would change the oil, new battery, fresh gas and give it a go. You will probably have to replace things like Fork seals, etc.

Get it running, and see where it goes from there. The is a beautiful example of a 400F, sir.

I dig your R75 as well, gotta love an R series.
"So you had better do as you are told
You better listen to the radio"

My Super Sport Build

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
Hilarious!  This very bike is the subject of another ongoing discussion here...   I would bet that a fresh battery and fresh gas is all that will be needed, although I would pull a float bowl to make sure there isn't any major oxidation.  With the bike being stored inside, it likely wont have much, if any.

Edit* DOH!  I see that was you that started the discussion!  If it's anything like every other SOHC4 I've seen, fresh gas and battery and it will crank right up.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Hilarious!  This very bike is the subject of another ongoing discussion here...   I would bet that a fresh battery and fresh gas is all that will be needed, although I would pull a float bowl to make sure there isn't any major oxidation.  With the bike being stored inside, it likely wont have much, if any.

Edit* DOH!  I see that was you that started the discussion!  If it's anything like every other SOHC4 I've seen, fresh gas and battery and it will crank right up.

HAHA i was thinking the same thing. Thought Seller and buyer both coming here for info..
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
House art?  Is that the buzz word I need to use to bring one of my bikes into the house?
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Very little, give it an oil change, fresh gas, new battery, clean the points and give it a whirl. That is a beauty...Larry

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
If it was stored properly (and it sounds like it was), not much I expect. I would gas it up, install the battery, start and see what you get.

When I bought my 550 last year with 7k miles. It had been stored, with gas in it, since about 1986. So everything was very thoroughly gummed up. It was completely original down to the brake pads, tires and tubes.

I had to clean the tank and carbs and I replaced the fuel lines and tires/tubes. The brake fluid had evaporated to a small jelly on one side of the reservoir, but I cleaned it and flushed the line, and it worked great. I ended up having to replace the fork seals and the speedo cable. But I left the rest alone. The original chain, points, brake pads/shoes etc. I put over 4k miles on it in about 2 months before I sold it in August. The only problems that I had were a cracked floatbowl overflow tube, a stuck oil filter bolt, and a loose condenser screw (which was my fault).

7 years isn't that long for a bike stored in a climate controlled environment like a living room, the o-rings could very well be in fine condition. I would wait for evidence of leaks before I replaced them.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
Yeah what Banker Danny says. Then if you can't get it started or it runs rough come on back and we'll see what we can do to get it running right. You got a super nice bike there how did you pay if you don't mind me asking? That bike would sell for close to $3K around here in that condition.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Yeah what Banker Danny says. Then if you can't get it started or it runs rough come on back and we'll see what we can do to get it running right. You got a super nice bike there how did you pay if you don't mind me asking? That bike would sell for close to $3K around here in that condition.

I think he bought it for 4500... Still great looking bike. Welcome
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Kurt V

I think he bought it for 4500... Still great looking bike. Welcome

Haven't bought it yet, but giving it some serious thought! Thanks for all the input so far.
1976 Honda CB400F-original survivor
1976 BMW R75/6
1993 Ducati 900SS

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
  • If I is expert, I can has cheezburger?
What about treating the first few tanks with some seafoam guys?

Offline andrewk

• doin' it.
  • Hot Shot
That wouldn't hurt anything.

I've revived quite a few of these sohc fours, and most of them were in waaaaaay worse condition that what we're talking about here.  It sounds like the owner is overly worried about an old machine- I wouldn't be, most of these things are stored in ditches and barns it seems.  I would imagine that if the carbs were stored dry, you might have some issues with the carbs leaking fuel when you first gas it up, but those issues are easily remedied.

Otherwise, a battery, fresh fuel, new plugs, clean points, and she will probably fire up and run.

There are probably OEM parts that you can't buy new anymore, but I would imagine that you can find any parts you need to make it run.  The nice part with starting with such a nice example is that you will have most of the hard to find bits that make it such a nice clean looking bike.  There is a healthy aftermarket for these old Hondas though- anything you need I'm sure you can get.