Author Topic: Float drain screw torqued off - can this be repaired?  (Read 602 times)

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
  • '75 CB750K + '67 CL90 + '71 CT90
    • PseudoMoto
Float drain screw torqued off - can this be repaired?
« on: January 26, 2012, 07:46:29 am »
I'm doing the carbs on a 750K chopper for this dude who had the carb bowls & screws chromed in the 70's. Whoever did the chrome did the underside of the head of the drain screws as well, so that over time the screw head rusted to the body of the bowl. And of course there's some super-hard o-ring in there too. I'd successfully gotten the screws out of two of the bowls and was working on the third. Heat didn't really free it up any, so I put some vice grips on it and - ugh - torqued the head off. Can this be repaired, or is it off to ebay to find a replacement?

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Float drain screw torqued off - can this be repaired?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:56:31 am »
Since it has a centre hole it will be very easy to drill out, if you can find left-hand drills that's a bonus since the screw will probably spin out while being drilled. These do exist!
Look at the other screws to see what the root diameter of the threads is. Go by steps up to just under this size. When you have just a thin shell with threads left in the hole, you can pick it out with a dental tool or something small sharp and hard. Getting a new screw is going to be a problem I think though.

Offline liPPy

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 cb750k
Re: Float drain screw torqued off - can this be repaired?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:05:17 am »
Since it has a centre hole it will be very easy to drill out, if you can find left-hand drills that's a bonus since the screw will probably spin out while being drilled. These do exist!

Harbor Freight sells LH drill bits.