Author Topic: vin numbers  (Read 1590 times)

Offline dave

vin numbers
« on: September 02, 2012, 06:19:31 pm »
i am looking at a 750k frame and it doesn't have a number stamped in the neck of the frame,every one that i have seen so far has the number that is stamped on the tage stamped on the other side of the neck,whats up with that no number stamped ??is this common???  am i missing something. 

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: vin numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 07:06:31 pm »
As far as I know, there should be a number stamped into the neck. Any evidence it's been ground off? It might also have been filled in with bondo when a PO "smoothed" things out: this happened to me once with an old BSA. I got pulled over, and at some point the cop says "The frame serial number is missing", and walks back to the car and gets on the radio. I'd never thought to even look for a number, but now I was scared my bike had been stolen, and I might even be blamed as the thief! I frantically scraped away the paint and bondo on the neck, and uncovered the number. Whew!
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline dave

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 07:16:32 pm »
no evidence that it has been covered up,took a wire brush and cleaned it off and nothing!one thing i did notice is that the tag is riveted on the opposit side(left) as every other one that i have seen is on the right side(when your siting on the bike) so i took the tag off and still no number!

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:46:02 pm »
What's the number on the tag? Maybe Canadian models were different?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Schnell

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 07:51:29 pm »
Was a vin number filed off that (previously) riveted tag?
A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. --Lao Tsu

primary: 1974 Honda CB750
long term, now resting: 1981 BMW R100/7
project: 1971 Honda CL350
project: 1974 Honda CB450

previous:
1975 Honda CB750
1973 BMW R90/6
1981 Suzuki GS650
1973 Honda CD175

My little website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:52:25 pm »
 there is actually a flat spot where they stamp the number.... It probably had it..only good reason it shouldnt, is replacement frame (should have then been stamped)
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline dave

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 09:02:02 pm »
 there wasn't any tampering with the frame at all,the fact that the tag was mounted on the oposit side of the neck has me stumped!go figure...as for the Canadian models.......i can eliminate the fact that they are different because every one of them that i look at are canadian models for the most part so who knows the mistery that i face with this frame, i am sure i will get the answers here that will explain this situation sooner or later.

Online CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 09:32:35 pm »
Likely a replacement frame that was never stamped. Whoever did the work probably just transferred the tag and didn't bother to stamp it. They may not have had number dies.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 11:17:42 pm »
Yup Honda always put the tag in the same place so sounds like a new replacement frame wher the numbers have not been stamped in and the tag has been fitted wrong
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 04:52:41 am »
Is the horn mount on left or right side of downtubes? And replacement frames new from Honda did not have numbers.

Offline dave

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 06:21:53 am »
the horn mount is on the right side of of the tube.