Author Topic: Rod orientation  (Read 1275 times)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Rod orientation
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:13:03 pm »
Like a good Honda child I've always followed direction and installed rods with the locating key for the bearing inserts towards the front (exhaust)

I always wondered though what difference it might make? Not that I want to question Papa Honda.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:58:57 am by bwaller »

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: Rod orientation
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »
I'm sure somebody has installed them sideways Brent. ;) ;D All the ones I've pulled out are forward though Carrillo are supposed to be at the rear. I'm sure people have gone many miles with the tangs forward and backward in the same engine.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 08:07:36 pm »
As one who has put an awful lot of rods on a lot of Honda cranks, my honest opinion is it doesn't matter. I say this because the service manuals don't specify it. If it was important they would specify it.

Having said that, Years ago I combed the manuals and looked at the photos and I install the rods in the direction the photos show.

Jay

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 04:36:47 am »
I did mention above that "I always have"............until yesterday. I worked away measuring, seating, then plastigaging, measuring stretch, then installed them backwards to what I usually do. It wasn't until I was completely done that I realised....f**k. I could never understand the reasoning for forward facing orientation, but was prepared to switch them.  ::)

Then Mr. Mike mentions Carrillos should be the other way round. That's some positive karma huh.  ;D

Thanks Mike and Jay.