Author Topic: Removing Rust from Chrome-No Scratches!  (Read 9065 times)

Offline Strapman

Removing Rust from Chrome-No Scratches!
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:08:40 pm »
Just found and tried a great tip for removing rust from chrome parts. I had a old CB 500 rear fender that wa rusted very bad on underside and had heavy deposits of rust on top of fender where tailight is mounted. A body guy told me to use a "wood brightener" sold at home improvement stores---it's core ingredient is oxcalic acid. I filled up a large tub with 3 gallons of water, added 8 oz of the acid (available in liquid or powder form) put my fender in and every 8 hours or so used a plastic brush to scrub. After 36 hours i couldn't beleive how well it worked, no scratches and all rust gone! Some pitting remained but 100X better than before. Rinse with water and use a chrome polish---that's it, $10 for the wood brightener/oxcalic acid....

Offline GK

• Cafe novice
  • novice cafe builder
Re: Removing Rust from Chrome-No Scratches!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 03:31:02 am »
Skeptical ??? Unless of course you have before and after pics ;D
hold it flat!

CB 400F cafe build/ http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=48734.0

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 02:11:04 am »
mollasses,about 50/50 with water.

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:11:14 am »
I always use aluminium foil and water, very simple to do just use a piece of aluminium foil folded up, wet everything well then start rubbing, keep it wet while you're doing it. ;)
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline Rob69

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 09:59:11 am »
I have a product called "Evaporust." I bought it to treat rusted fuel tanks. It's circuit based, biodegradable and doesn't harm paint. What can I say. It works. It removes the most stubborn rust. The downside is that it's pricy. I paid $90.00 [USD] for 5 US gallons. Also, being biodegradable, it loses its effectiveness overtime, but I've had mine for several years now and it still works pretty damn good.

Offline old76cr

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 03:14:31 pm »
Try Heinz pickling vinegar. 7% acid. About 6$ a gallon. Same process as original post but less time. Example pics here. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=profile;u=3438;area=showposts;start=25
cb750 k5                                                                     76 Husqvarna 250cr                                                       77 Can-Am 175   1973 honda SL125

Offline devilclown

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:39:26 pm »
Try Heinz pickling vinegar. 7% acid. About 6$ a gallon. Same process as original post but less time. Example pics here. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=profile;u=3438;area=showposts;start=25

Your link didnt work!

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:09:15 pm »
I knew there is/used to be a stronger vinegar! Thanks for that info. Where/in what grocery (?) section do you find this? That extra 2% should help. I've used regular vinegar on a few light rust issues on my restore. Hit it with a tooth brush after it sits overnight most of the time.

Here's that  link. Hope this works.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=79366.msg889763#msg889763
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline piute

• Piute
  • TRICK OR TREAT...B....es
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 09:23:37 pm »
  Iv'e always used turtle chrome polish N a stiff brush,just cleaned this up ,just to see how bad it was rusted ,Was to much completely thru on hinge .You can see how bad the rust was by all the pitting ,BUT  notice took off all the rust ,Plan/have new locks paint backing plate.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:31:19 pm by piute »
Ride to live Live for Jesus
1977 750 F2

Offline KennyRedman

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB550F, Indiana
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 08:53:02 am »
I always use aluminium foil and water, very simple to do just use a piece of aluminium foil folded up, wet everything well then start rubbing, keep it wet while you're doing it. ;)
This is exactly what I've done- it works great for slightly pitted chrome and leaves no scratch marks at all.

Offline grepper

• Busted Knuckles
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 01:32:40 pm »
I've removed the rust chemically, like with vinegar.  Then painted silver.  Then polish.  The polishing removes the paint on the chrome, but where it has something to stick to like the rust pits, it sticks.  The silver paint hides the parts where there sin't chrome and pertects it from rusting again.

Offline Grugru

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 03:19:59 am »
Even faster and cheaper for surface rust: Cola (I used Coke  8) ) and aluminium foil. Fold the foil, dip into cola, rub the chrome. No scratches, all rust is gone:

Gute Fahrt :)

Tom