Author Topic: stock valve diameter?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline seann

stock valve diameter?
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:01:34 pm »
Just torn down my engine in a bike ('73) that was "donated" to me....very rough condition. Whoever had it was into performance though, oil cooler, drilled disc, Koni rears, 4 into 1, halogen headlight & aftermarket air filters. Got it cleaned up enough to run it around a bit last summer, kind of suspected a big bore kit had been added at some point. Pistons are 812 POP.Y (63mm when new?), with slight dome & what look like quite large valve reliefs. What's the stock valve diameter, and anyone know of a popular upgrade that was common, if in fact these are bigger. I had to dress the underside of the top of several valves that had started to flare from the hammering of the keepers to get them through the guides, can you say redline? Bike was leaning against a fence outside for who knows how long when I got it. I've stripped it to the bare frame to sandblast/paint, then everything from then on will go back on re-done nice & clean, cafe style.
Thanks,
Seann

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: stock valve diameter?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:28:47 pm »
Hi Sean, welcome to the forum. I'm well over due for bed but you should get some feed back from members in the US. (where are you?)
Not sure on the stock sizes but most go for plus 2 on the inlet and drop down to 5mm stems all round, leaving the diameter of the exhaust stock.
If I'm right, stock sizes are 32mm inlet and 28 or 29 exhaust, someone will correct me if I'm a bit out.

Regards Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline seann

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:08:50 pm »
I'm in Markdale, Ontario (couple of hours N/W of Toronto).
Seann

Offline H2Eric

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:38:14 am »
Hi Sean, welcome to the forum. I'm well over due for bed but you should get some feed back from members in the US. (where are you?)
Not sure on the stock sizes but most go for plus 2 on the inlet and drop down to 5mm stems all round, leaving the diameter of the exhaust stock.
If I'm right, stock sizes are 32mm inlet and 28 or 29 exhaust, someone will correct me if I'm a bit out.

Regards Sam. ;)

32mm and 28mm are the standard sizes. Oversize valves 33.5 inlet and 28.5 exhaust are available from APE. Dynoman also does the oversize (33.5) inlet valves.

Eric
Honda CR750
Honda CB750K3
Kawasaki 750H2B
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB175
Honda CB350F
Yamaha R1

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,94588.0.html

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:53:28 am »

Regards Sam. ;)

32mm and 28mm are the standard sizes. Oversize valves 33.5 inlet and 28.5 exhaust are available from APE. Dynoman also does the oversize (33.5) inlet valves.

Eric
The 5mm intake OS valve is 34mm
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:22:02 pm »
I guess the dementure is not as bad as I first thought ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike