Author Topic: Team Michigan 2012  (Read 37218 times)

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Team Michigan 2012
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 02:53:31 pm »
I'm down to try to get around lake Huron...but I can see that being tough if there are no Canadian riders to help with good routes and sites...and couches to crash on...
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 08:34:09 pm »
Yes, the beauty of last years ride was that total lodging costs was $8 for the campground near Grand Traverse. Otherwise we were staying at people's homes. Heck, I think I only paid for dinner 2 or 3 of the 6 nights I was on the road.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:38:16 am by Bankerdanny »
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 07:17:08 am »
I'm up for whatever route. I was spoiled last year as it went right through my backyard. :)
Wonder if I could do a thousand miles in one day?  ???-Hmmmm
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 01:10:33 pm »
Greetings Michigan Riders!

A quick update on the relay and a request for riders.

Lefty is currently stuck in Idaho with few options for moving him further. If a handoff can't be found, he'll be put in a box and Team Brown will forward him somewhere. Last year was the Miracle, this year is just for fun, so no harm, no foul if the SOHC4 string is broken!

Anyway, We're doing what we can to get Lefty to Rockerbox in Milwaukee in early August. old Scrambler has details if you want to attend. From there, he's headed to Chicago, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.  After that, we get our shot! I'm guessing mid to late August.

With that timeframe in mind, are we still good with a rip around Lake Huron?  Maybe a direct DET to Toronto run? Who's able/willing/ready to go?  I got my passport ready, but vacation days are a little short, so I'm iffy at best.

Time is drawing near to get our plans solid.

Discuss.

Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 01:28:58 pm »
Oh, almost forgot. old Scrambler is planning a pre-Rockerbox tour or central Wisconsin and Skoney Boy is throwing a kegger in Chicago.  Contact them if you are interested!
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 03:57:30 pm »
Hello Bruce and anybody else, I would still love to make it around Lake Huron but, for me, that is gonna be financially difficult without guys in Canada putting us up along the way...actually, I'm not even sure my bike is legal in Canada (loud pipe, no turn signals, etc.)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 06:22:14 pm »
Only concerns that I encountered when entering Canada was having a helmet to wear.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 02:08:48 pm »
For me it will be a combination of cash and an ability to get a Passport Card in time since Illinois doesn't offer the special license endorsement that Michigan does.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 09:13:14 am »
Ok, so the Huron Rip Riders so far are Dave with a tentative yes from Sean and Danny.  Anyone else?  MJ? DJ? Jkidd? Artie? Rat? K5? All or part?  Any Canadian riders?

The Huron Rip would be 5 days:
- meet up near Tawas
- ride to the Soo
- ride to Sudbury, ON
- ride to Lake Semcoe for the handoff, then to the Huron lake shore for the nite
- head for home

So far, no offers to host a place to stay.  Camping may be the cheapest option.  Always open to suggestions!

There is also the straight handoff option of riding  to Toronto.

I'm a little worried that the muddling about in the PNW is going to cause Lefty to miss his 8/4 date at Rockerbox.  So no firm dates yet as to when we'll see the little bugger.
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline jkidd01

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 10:01:30 am »
You can put me down for a tentative yes. I still have a few things to take care of and need to get money together for the ride, so it mostly depends on when GZ hits Michigan.
1982 CB650SC Nighthawk
1981 CB650C

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 10:13:44 am »
Well I won't be able to make the 5 day trip... still trying to figure out which days I can make it...

However I got a place in Pontiac, MI that'll fit 20 bikes and a hundred bikers inside... 1/4 block off of Woodward at the Loop... and ... "The Dream Cruise" is on August 18th. http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/
... if anybody's interested.
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!

Offline dave the welder

• dave the welder
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 06:26:58 pm »
where is lefty entering our great mitten shaped state???
don't buy it build it

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 09:10:44 pm »
Entry will prolly be via Toledo. We may need to ride down to pick him up as MasterChief is getting married around GZ time. And for some strange reason, he is opting to go on a honeymoon rather than ride with sweaty bikers.  Some people! ;D
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline dave the welder

• dave the welder
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 02:15:15 pm »
i am sure you will post the date.i should be able to ride down with whoever wants to go or if necessary solo.
don't buy it build it

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 03:12:30 pm »
I can make it to Toledo to pick up. :)

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 03:20:39 pm »
Just stayin in touch, let me know which way you're coming at me! (when you all decide)
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 08:25:18 pm »
I'd like to ride at least part way, but  I've got bus driving commitments for some of August.

I'm taking the Marching Band to band camp on Aug. 5th and bringing them back on the 10th.
Driving for a Jump Start program for our Middle School the 13th - 16th and 20th - 23rd.
And a field trips on the 27th and 29th.

The weekends are all clear, if things work out that way, otherwise, I be bummin'.

MJ
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)

Offline artsqu

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 08:27:59 am »
Ok, so the Huron Rip Riders so far are Dave with a tentative yes from Sean and Danny.  Anyone else?  MJ? DJ? Jkidd? Artie? Rat? K5? All or part?  Any Canadian riders?

The Huron Rip would be 5 days:
- meet up near Tawas
- ride to the Soo
- ride to Sudbury, ON
- ride to Lake Semcoe for the handoff, then to the Huron lake shore for the nite
- head for home

So far, no offers to host a place to stay.  Camping may be the cheapest option.  Always open to suggestions!

There is also the straight handoff option of riding  to Toronto.

I'm a little worried that the muddling about in the PNW is going to cause Lefty to miss his 8/4 date at Rockerbox.  So no firm dates yet as to when we'll see the little bugger.

Looks like GZ will enter MI via Toledo.  I have made plans for at least 5 days for the rally starting on 11 Aug.  If the rally goes north thru MI. or east direct to Toronto I'm in. In the final stages for prepping the bike for the rally.

Offline gar

• '75 CB550
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2012, 06:48:36 pm »
Anyone have a good ETA for the Michigan leg of the rally?  I'm along I-69 between flint and Port Huron and would love to join up if I can coordinate with work! 

Sorry if the answer is posted.. Haven't been on forum enough this summer.
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2012, 08:36:07 pm »
Welcome Gar,

No firm date yet.  Lefty will be in Milwaukee on 8/4 and will head to Chicago after that.  Then he'll need to ride thru Illinois, Indiana and Ohio before we get 'em.

Watch this thread for further updates!
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2012, 05:52:19 am »
Update:

Looks like Rockerbox is guna happen, but the kegger/garage party in Chicago isn't. Skonnie had to cancel because he got a job. I mean REALLY!  What's more important, hosting GZ or a paycheck?? ;-D

Anyway, after Rockerbox, Team Central will take him thru Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. The goal being to have GZ ready for pickup (likely Toledo) within a few weeks. Watch this thread and the Team Central planning thread for dates as they firm up.  BTW, is anyone attending Rockerbox?

Huron Rip:
So far we have pretty firm riders in Dave and Art with a good possible from Sean and Danny. A number of riders are also hoping to ride at least for a few days.

Hoping to still find some sofas to sleep on, but plan on camping. The original plan calls for about 300 miles per day. Is that a good distance? Too much? Too little?  The handoff to Team Ontario will be somewhere around Lake Semcoe (northwest of Toronto). 

If anyone has any ideas to make our time with GZ better, please speak up!!
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline dave the welder

• dave the welder
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2012, 07:47:37 am »
just to let you know i am only going as far as the soo bridge. i have no passport or enhanced license.
don't buy it build it

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2012, 09:30:15 am »

Just throwing this out there again...
 ;D

I got access to a place in Pontiac, MI that'll fit 20 bikes and a hundred bikers inside... 1/4 block off of Woodward at the Loop... and ... "The Dream Cruise" is on August 18th. http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/
... if anybody's interested.

Their website doesn't quite catch the enormity of it...
Have a look at this...
http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&q=woodward+dream+cruise&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&biw=1072&bih=718&sei=MSwIUIHMI9GsqAGVl7nfBA

::)

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2012, 01:32:11 pm »
OldSchool, I plan on going to Rockerbox, also the CycleX racebike is at Gingerman that same weekend.  I hope to make it back in time Sunday to see a little racing...I bet Godzilla would dig that.  Any chance of a re-route or temporarily borrowing him from the Wisconsin guys?

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2012, 02:24:20 pm »
Sounds like a GREAT idea Sean. I'll see what they say.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:35:48 pm by OldSchool_IsCool »
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?