Author Topic: 1965 CA95 150 Benly Touring 'Baby Dream'  (Read 53599 times)

Offline HondanutRider

• Ride often - ride long - ride SAFE...and be an
  • Expert
Re: 1965 CA95 150 Benly Touring 'Baby Dream'
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2011, 02:36:05 pm »
I believe there are differences between the CA95 that you have and the C95 model with which Sam is familiar.  The CA95 model had a different carburetor, one that included a power jet to provide more fuel at higher rpm.  This jet isn't found on the C95 model, and it required a separate air hook-up.  If it wasn't hooked up, but rather blocked, then the power jet wouldn't function and high speed running would be affected.

There were other differences with the CA95 model as well.  Besides not having turn signals, the motor had a higher compression (9.7:1 vs 8.3:1)and I would suspect a different cam.  It was rated at 16.5 hp where-as the C95 was listed at only 13.5 hp.  The CA95 was only available in the US and was the only version of the 150 Benly that was sold there.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:13:53 am by HondanutRider »

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2011, 03:25:06 pm »
I believe there are differences between the CA95 that you have and the C95 model with which Sam is familiar.  The CA95 model had a different carburetor, one that included a power jet to provide more fuel at higher rpm.  This jet isn't found on the C95 model, and it required a separate air hook-up.  If it wasn't hooked up, but rather blocked, then the power jet wouldn't function and high speed running would be affected.

There were other differences with the CA95 model as well.  Besides not having turn signals, the motor had a higher compression (9.7:1 vs 8.3:1)and I would suspect a different cam.  It was rated at 16.5 hp where-as the C95 was listed at only 13.5 hp.  The CA95 was only available in the US and was the only version of the 150 Benley that was sold there.

That makes sense to me.  The shop manuals don't offer pictures of all the different model variations' differences, so I have to rely on word of mouth (or print in this case) to figure some of these things out.  So far, it's working out pretty good  :)  8)

Thanks for all the help guys!

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2011, 01:47:18 am »
Any updates? I have one of these that's needs huge love and watching what you're doing to inspire me.
Cliff.

I learned that there is a purpose for the tube going out of the air filter into the carburetor - it apparently cools the carb. 

Greggo, if you are reffering to the tube that goes from the filter to the carb insulator, it has nothing to do with the carburation.
If you look at the back of the insulator, there is a chanel that crosses over to the same point on the other side of the carb and at these two points they are in line with two holes in the back of the head.
These holes are passage ways that go through the head and valve guides terminating at the valve stem.
The idea behind this is to stop oil going to far down the valve guides and entering the induction ports which would result in the motor burning oil.
I'm glad you have the Benly up and running...enjoy. 8)

Sam. ;)

Sam, my shop manual states that in the installation of the air intake "be sure to insert the connecting tube, air vent plastic tube and power air jet tube (on CB92 CA95) in their respective holes"

As of now, I have a uni pod filter filtering the air.  The original had been refurbished with foam to replace the paper, but the foam is worn, and covered in epoxy.  I will do my best to refurbish it again with good foam.  It would be great to get this figured out before I attempt install it on the bike. 

Thanks for your help!

Greggo, Bob is right in what he said about there being differences between the C95 and the CA95.
I am fortunate in that I have examples of most the Benlys made which include the C92 the CB92 and the CB95, the CB being the sports version.
Despite playing, tuning and racing these Benlys since day 1, I was unaware that the Canadian model was the same as the Euro bike untill Bob and I got talking a few years back in another thread. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=46104.25
In respect of the 2 breather tubes, that was why I asked were you reffering to the one that went to the carb insulator.
Even so, the one that goes to the air jet is not for cooling the carb, it just stops particles of dust getting into the air jet. On the race bikes, I have never run with the air filter and both the tubes can be left of with no disasterous results from doing so.
If you need a new air fillter, they are plentyfull on Ebay for not a lot of $ but beware of buying from you know where. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2011, 08:36:52 am »
Sam, you are indeed lucky to have examples of those bikes.  The gentleman whom I bought my parts bike from had a beautiful, blue CB92 tucked away in his garage.  He was apprehensive to show it to me, apparently he was nervous about it being stolen.  To him, it was like letting someone he didn't know well, that he had a Picasso stored in the garage.  They are incredibly beautiful bikes in racing form!

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2011, 09:38:52 am »
Greggo, lucky isn't even close in respect of the CB95. I bought it as a CB92 race bike basket case.
When I received it, I noticed right away that it wasn't a 125 but was in fact a 150.
The two bikes look identicle apart from the 150 having some larger finning on the lower part of the head.
I thought it had a C95 top end and I thought I'd been done until I opened up the motor and found the iron combustion chambers just like you have in the CA, the C95s all had aluminum chambers.
Due to the fact it has never been registered and has no numbers at all, I can only surmise that it has been a race bike all its life and was made from new parts back in the day.
The guy who sold it said it came from one of Hondas race departments in Argentina.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2011, 10:20:03 am »
Incredible!  How many of those bikes can there be left out there?  :o  How long ago did you acquire it?  I've only seen three go up on ebay in the last two years; I don't believe any of them met the reserve prices.  I was told by the parts bike seller that that bike has some CB92 bits and pieces, but I'll have to wait and see.  He thought the spade type cable adjusters were from the race bikes, or did those come on the street bikes as well?

Offline HondanutRider

• Ride often - ride long - ride SAFE...and be an
  • Expert
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2011, 10:37:45 am »
Sam, that's interesting info about a CB95 model.  I haven't been able to find much reference to it, just a bit but mostly only about the CB92.  I'm pretty sure that the CB95 model wasn't sold over here in North America, and the CB92 was a very rare model with not very many being sold here.  There was a CS92 model that was offered early on, a Benly Sport model with upswept exhaust, while the CB92 (called the Benly Super Sport) had megaphone style mufflers.  I never saw nor have heard of any CS92 models, only the CB92.  I also hadn't previously heard of any CB95 versions.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2011, 07:11:48 pm »
cb95 was available in other countries and is most common in Japan...
chrome front fender  and rear fender that was much shorter... windscreen like the cb92s, etc.
Fellow in Argentina has documented what he knows about them pretty well. They are a nice change of pace from the CA95 and I prefer their looks...

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2011, 08:15:11 am »
It just need a complete restoration. Thats all.
That rear sprocket looks no good because the teeth are hooked.
If the teeth are curved it is history.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2011, 10:03:15 am »
It just need a complete restoration. Thats all.
That rear sprocket looks no good because the teeth are hooked.
If the teeth are curved it is history.

Lucky, I wouldn't say it needed a full restoration.  The chain/sprockets were toast, so I replaced with NOS.

Here's the list of work completed:

Chain/Sprockets
NOS Rear Brake Shoes/Both Hubs Cleaned Up
Tank Professionally Cleaned/Lined
Carburetor Cleaned/Reassembled
Air Filter Element Replaced
Oil Changed
New Spark Plugs
Ignition Coil Rebuilt With New Plug Wire/Caps
All Grease Points Serviced
Every Cable Replaced With NOS
Throttle Grip Slide Assembly Rebuilt
Attempted To Install HondaMan Transistorized Ignition

Pretty standard stuff for a bike that had been sitting for fifteen years.  It was plenty of work, and I'm glad it's done so I can enjoy the bike!

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2012, 05:13:58 pm »
For anyone paying attention, this bike's done!  Only thing left, if I want to do it is repaint the chain guard and install...doesn't make much difference to me though.  I shot a nice little video after she was warmed up today..Fun little bike!!

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2012, 06:22:56 pm »
Congratulations Greggo!  She sounds nice and looks great! A little patina on these bikes makes them look original.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline tango911

• Expert
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2012, 07:59:30 am »
good job Greggo!  love the old Dreams and Baby dreams.   i have a 305 myself.   Have fun on that bad dude!!!
CURRENT STABLE:
1969 Honda Dream 305 (black)
1974 Mach III kawi 500 smoker
K2 (project)
K2 Original fixer up
K0 original fixer up
2006 CRF250R