Author Topic: Anyone ever used chest protectors while racing  (Read 4812 times)

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
Re: Anyone ever used chest protectors while racing
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 04:53:00 am »
Thanks Alex, you're a star for volunteering so much help :-)
I just need to erfresh my memory - have done hundreds of road laps over there but none allowing full racing lines save for the odd Mad Sunday thrash.  ::)

I will be researching on video and maybe a long boys weekend beforehand if the finances will allow. What shocked me is the cost to transport a bike in a van over there and zero assistance from the event organisers to make sure they get decent bikes entering (hence they got mine LOL). The van, me and the bike is costing nearly £800! Add on the £100 entry, the £500 accommodation and I could have had a nice hot holiday somewhere else.....something really should be done about the Steam Racket Company...
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Darvill Racing

• Enthusiast
    • Darvill Racing
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 05:09:14 am »
Getting on/off the 'Rock' is one of my bug-bears, I can't understand how those Steam Pirates are allowed to have a monopoly on Ro-Ro freight, I leave 3 or 4 bikes in the UK to keep the cost down.
We also get zero assistance in our travel, the Bol d'Or last year cost me £580 to get the Vito and 3 people off this fair Isle and £86 for the vito and 6 of us on the Chunnel...

I live in hope that the Government will one day see sense and bring P&O (or another large reputable company) in as competition. I also find it hard to believe that they don't seem to grasp that if the cost of travel lowers then the net effect is more visitors....

I'm no politician but these seems to make sense..

#rantover
Best Regards,

Alex
Darvill Racing

Offline Darvill Racing

• Enthusiast
    • Darvill Racing
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 05:12:46 am »
Simon,
Sorry if I get heated over this, it really,REALLY winds me up...!

Your welcome with regards to assistance, if you need anything just shout.

Regards,
A
Best Regards,

Alex
Darvill Racing

Offline iomtt9

• Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 07:49:53 am »
Simon, dont know if you have a camper van that a bike can fit in, but if you do its cheaper. I think you will know this but its worth telling again as the van is classed as commercial. Fortunatley when i go to Assen my bike fits in the back of my old camper and its a lot cheaper. Also if your ever going abroad try Alternative Promotions they seem to get the price down a few bob, which means we can drink more Beer !!!! mmmmm Chimay Blue, !!!! in fact all the Belgium Beers !!

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 08:12:44 am »
Check with VJMCC , they had a deal on with the Steam Racket last year, I took long wheelbase Renault Tfaffic over using their deal, from memory I think it was £411.

Probably see you are over there , going to help Col, do Jurby festival, enter Ramsey sprint and now you mention it Simon, where do I get entry form for parade lap.

Dave

Offline Darvill Racing

• Enthusiast
    • Darvill Racing
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 08:45:59 am »
Dave,
Does this VJMCC deal last all year? And how do find out more...?

As for the parade lap, visit:
http://vmcciom.org/
And the applications for the Festival of Jurby and the Parade lap are on there.

All the best,
Alex
Best Regards,

Alex
Darvill Racing

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 12:21:58 pm »
Alex , think I made a mistake early on, it was VMCC, try Tony East , he should be able to give you this years details.
I'll look into it tomorrow and get back

Cheers
 Dave

Offline Darvill Racing

• Enthusiast
    • Darvill Racing
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 12:30:16 pm »
Thanks Dave,
I know Tony well (had one of our bikes in his museum for a couple of years).
Will have a chat with him when I next pop over there.

If you find out more in the mean time please let me know.

Regards,
A
Best Regards,

Alex
Darvill Racing

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 02:42:15 am »
Alex,
checked this morning,
van and 2 passengers £411 return

sailed 26 aug
ret. 6 sept.

I think there were restrictions to certain dates but if you know Tony he should be able to advise.
If the deal is still on it would be worth posting.

Dave

Offline Darvill Racing

• Enthusiast
    • Darvill Racing
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 04:46:36 am »
Cheers Dave,
Will contact Tony and see what he says.

Regards,
A
Best Regards,

Alex
Darvill Racing

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 03:14:22 am »
Yes Tony East for the parade guys - forms are up on the VMCC IOM website now. £100 for the parade and a bit more for the other bits.

I'm stuck on dates for travel Alex so have to pay the premium for the weekend travelling particularly home on the 1st September - £800 for a SWB van, daylight robbery. Cost me nearly £400 last year and that was on a bike! I saw they did run an enquiry into the Steam Racket last year but the final report was held back from publishing - probably becasue it told us what we all already know, they're a bunch of modern day Dick Turpins! :-)
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Darvill Racing

• Enthusiast
    • Darvill Racing
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 11:37:03 pm »
Simon,
That's outrageous....

If you were to book a few weeks later the cost would be seriously reduced. It convinces me that there are some under hand dealings going on, WHY won't the IOM Government allow any competition....Grrrrrrr

One of the reasons I moved here was to negate the travel costs to come here each year on Holiday, it does mean that race wise the costs increase as I need to get back to the UK regularly but it works out cheaper than living in the UK and traveling here twice a year for the race fortnights.

Is there any chance you can put a window in that van and book it at a camper van...?

Regards,
A
Best Regards,

Alex
Darvill Racing

Offline Danno

• Hot Shot
  • 74 CB550,75 GL1000,76 KZ400,77 GL1000,73 CB750
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 01:36:51 am »
right on moonpie I dont even notice my chest protector and as I said mine is made with scoops in it to direct air around your chest and arms when I bought mine the racer that sold it to me decided he liked mine better and dumped 300 dollars worth of armor (I think his were made by fox ) for the one I wear guess I should not have let him try it on

when I bought mine it was only certified in the EU and so I got a deal on it as it was not certified in the US yet but it did have the UL symbol on it as well so certification was not far off I only paid 127 dollars for it at the time I am told they are over 300 now I will try to get pics of my armor and post them
when you own a motorcycle the wife does not have to find you handy she just has to find you

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 04:52:05 am »
Cool - thanks Danno that's be great.

Alex - apparently the government do it on purpose to stop mainland tradesmen coming over and doing island jobs - eg. Scouse plasterers taking "local" work. But....for this one opoprtunity, I'm going to ride my bike aroudn the TT course on closed roads. As a one off cost, I'm willing to make it. If I was good enough to race there, I'd be spitting feathers!!  :o
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Darvill Racing

• Enthusiast
    • Darvill Racing
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 10:38:03 am »
Simon,
Thanks for the explanation, its the first time i have hear
Shame as it hurts all of us on the 'Rock'.... i'm sure that if they tried they could find another 'solution' to cheap labour....!!

Regards,
A
Best Regards,

Alex
Darvill Racing