Author Topic: Question about motor 836 (possible race bike)  (Read 1393 times)

Offline bluesmoke69

• Hot Shot
Question about motor 836 (possible race bike)
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:20:42 pm »
What do you guys think of this motor, any question or thing to look for if I try to buy it. Thanks for any help!

This is a new motor //C B 750/ approx 1974,,year;;;;; now 836cc bore;;;; bottom end is done and assembled ;; top end is all machine work done;; needs set of weisco 836cc pistons and ; the head assembled,,,it has forged aluminium rod set installed new cam chain and new clutch ;;new oil pump;;;and misc bearings and seals,,. cylinder is ready to drop in the new pistons ,weiscos are all exact fit ;;so bore is ready to go;; it has a .450// lift webb camshaft new with it also;;;$1800 invested so far ..will sell now for $800 ;;rock solid on price;; no offers or trades,,everything is fresh glassbeaded and fresh painted ;;; owner has passed away and this must be sold.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
Re: Question about motor 836 (possible race bike)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 07:35:37 pm »
Wow,where to start,who's rods,boring w/out pistons...I don't think so!Boring close,honing to finish ,maybe,drop in your wallet maybe also,didn't mention valves,springs,guides,new oil pump,new BE bearings,crank condition? 450 lift? You kidding....that won't drop in...might bash in something,unless you know more,its a lot of parts...maybe worth $800.00 but not ready!! ;) ;D Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline bluesmoke69

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 07:41:41 pm »
Thank for your quick reply. I will have to get some more information on the motor and then ask you experts some more questions.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:55:18 pm »
Have to completely agree  with Bill on this one. $800 is too much to spend without pistons and an unknown bore job.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 12:59:31 am »
Me too, were the rods installed by the same person that had the block bored without the pistons.
If they were, give it a wide berth or knock the price way down.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 09:50:11 am »
What do you guys think of this motor, any question or thing to look for if I try to buy it. Thanks for any help!

This is a new motor //C B 750/ approx 1974,,year;;;;; now 836cc bore;;;; bottom end is done and assembled ;; top end is all machine work done;; needs set of weisco 836cc pistons and ; the head assembled,,,it has forged aluminium rod set installed new cam chain and new clutch ;;new oil pump;;;and misc bearings and seals,,. cylinder is ready to drop in the new pistons ,weiscos are all exact fit ;;so bore is ready to go;; it has a .450// lift webb camshaft new with it also;;;$1800 invested so far ..will sell now for $800 ;;rock solid on price;; no offers or trades,,everything is fresh glassbeaded and fresh painted ;;; owner has passed away and this must be sold.

I wish we could have heard more about who is selling this engine.
That is just as important as the engine info.

Anyway my take on it is different.
Since the man that owned it passed away he must have been an older man
and the engine work was done by people that knew what they were doing.
We did not see any photos of said engine. Very important.

I would bet money that the pistons for this engine are in the same place this engine is located.
Need to ask about that.
Also where is the cylinder head etc.,?
Maybe all the rest of the stuff is at a nearby shop and needs to get picked up.

Could be a very good deal but you need to go back and nail down all of this missing information.
When you tell someone you would buy the engine if they find the pistons, then it will inspire them to go into the garage and find this stuff.

Sometimes I tell my wife where I put things and at our house we have a rule.
If there is a machine or tool then there is the paperwork in our files under the name of the object.
For instance: If it is a toaster then in the files the info and manual etc., is under TOASTER .

Also when I die if my wife goes to my computer there is a file for when I die and it has many useful listings to help my wife if something should happen to me. Things to help her get money.
Directions on selling things and all she has to do is copy and paste the info about the item into the ad.
Photos of the item all ready to go.

I do not leave things scattered about.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:55:46 am by lucky »

Offline cbr954

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 03:47:11 pm »
Have you seen the parts?  It would be worth seeing if crank had any work done to it (lightening) and what brand are the aluminum rods.  You may have $800 worth of parts to sell if they are good parts. If the head has some port work and oversize valves and springs and such, there would be some money in that too.  Depending on what you have for parts, this stuff can go for crazy prices on ebay. This of course is just my opinion.
03 CBR954RR, 72 750 chopper(970cc
F2 head), 2017 CRF450R, 2001 CR250R, 72 CB500, 79 XR250, 04 CRF50,70's soon to be rebuilt cb750 drag bike.