Author Topic: Honda cb750 Bobber help!  (Read 6930 times)

Offline germanicus777

Honda cb750 Bobber help!
« on: January 19, 2012, 06:04:24 pm »
Hey guys I'm planning on making a Honda cb750 bobber.
There's been a recent influx of honda cafe racers so I thought I'd take a different route.

A long list of questions.

Regarding Bobbers I know there are hardtails which are basically no rear shocks and then there are the ones that do have rear shocks. Would anyone know where I can get those rear shocks?
Is it cheaper to chop the frame or buy a frame that is already set for bobbers?
Does anyone know if a 6 ft. tall guy would be comfortable on a cb750 bobber?

Thanks!

Offline Eddie

• Enthusiast
Re: Honda cb750 Bobber help!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:25:13 pm »
I have a 550, I love the bobber look but dont think my back could take a hardtail here in ILL. Heres what I did...I extended the swing arm 2" and lowered the front 1". To me it sits abought right. You need to get the rear wheel away from the seat so it doesnt hit you in the butt. I'm putting a single seat on it...you can see from my pic where the seat is located...I'm 6'1"...feels pretty comfortable... some guys on here will tell you it will handle like crap if you stretch it at all..   most of all ...have fun !

Offline jamesb

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:49:28 pm »
if you go with a hardtail lowbrow customs is the way to go if you do go with hardtail get ready for a rough ride (it comes with the territory) bobbers are cool the have somewhat the comfort of shocks.if you want the best of both worlds look for a amen savior frame.i have one make sure your springs are good in it or it has the springs i just got a quote for new spring kit it was 600.00 my are good but i'm getting them rechromed.it just depends on what your really after in a ride as far as your height you can always make forward controls
I've done a lot of things in my life that I'm not proud of...and the things I AM proud of, "are disgusting"

Offline germanicus777

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:37:31 pm »
Thanks for the replies fellas. Hey Eddy how is it that you "stretch" a swingarm? and what do you mean by lowering the front? How is that you can lower the front? If you stretch the swingarm does it affect the handling and stability of the bike in any way?

This is a basic idea of how I want my bike to look like

<iframe width="560" height="315" src=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't know exactly how he made this into a softtail bobber. First of all I don't understand how you can stretch the swingarm 5 whole inches.
How did he get the rear to be so low? Where can I get the rear fenders?
MOST IMPORTANTLY where the heck can I find rear shocks for a bobber?

Just skip the video until 1 minute cause from there it really shows a good walk around the bike so you can get an idea.
Just shoot me your answers on how you think he created this bike.  8) thanks fellas

Offline Danno

• Hot Shot
  • 74 CB550,75 GL1000,76 KZ400,77 GL1000,73 CB750
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 11:50:52 pm »
to lower the front you take the triple clamps loose and slide the forks up in the clamps be careful when you tighten it back down you don't want to break your triple clamp

and the 550 does well with an extended swing arm  so does the 750 if you lower the forks
when you own a motorcycle the wife does not have to find you handy she just has to find you

Offline germanicus777

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 12:33:42 am »
Oh great! That means I can use the stock cb750 shocks with my bobber if I just extend the swing arm?
How do I extend the swing arm is there like a thread on this orrrr?
Clamps? Forks? Hahahah I'm a noob first time biker buyer. I really want my first bike to be a bobber!

Offline Eddie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 03:45:04 am »
the bike on the video looks to have stretched the swing arm at the straight portion of the tubes by the axle. I stretched mine at the front...I bought another swing arm and cut the front pivot off at about 3"....notched it to fit over the orig swing arm...welded it all the way around then added a 3/16" plate to the bottom to over lap the two pieces. It seems like the more you stretch, the lower you need to get the front end or rake it more. Look at the shocks on the bike in the video...pretty good angle on them...stock bike shocks are almost straight up and down.  My thought was if I added to the front of the arm the assembly would retain its stiffness since the "pipes" were kept short...??? 

Offline cb550choppa

• Enthusiast
  • ride it like you hate it
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 04:00:36 am »
a "bobber" is a bike that is built off an un modified frame by definition its a stock bike that has had parts removed or bobbed off so hard tailed isnt needed

now i consider my bike to be both a chopper and a bobber it has the modern bobber look minimalistic less is more look with big bars and suicide shifter, but the frame has been cut or chopped making it a chopper by deffinition my bike handles on rails its not streached and it home made so im not sure exactly what it is lol

and streatching the swing arm will put you shocks at an angle making the rear sit lower but shorter shocks will lower it more the best advice i can give is start chopping it up when building a bike theres no wrong way as long as you like it

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:05:51 am by cb550choppa »
chop what ya got

Offline germanicus777

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 08:25:57 am »
Hmmm so by definition modifying the frame makes it a chopper?
Nice looking bike btw bro. It seems everyone is so handy in this forum I'm a bit daunted about working on bikes for the first time....

Eddie... do you have like a build post that shows what you did?

Anyone know any good threads on how to stretch the swing arm? I don't want to be riding the bike and it breaks on me haha

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 08:45:41 am »
If you got to ask how to stretch a sweingarm, you are not ready..pay someone to do it. There is a few ways to do it.

Modding the frame does not always make it a chopper, it could make it a caFE, OR DRAGBIKE, OR HILLCLIMBER, OR ICE-RACER.ETC..ETC..
certain MODS THOUGH WOULD MAKE IT A CHOPPER.. like raking, lowering seat..things like that..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 09:17:36 am »
Silly question, you clearly need a swingarm stretcher.

I could sell you one for the small Herman Cain price of nine nine nine point nine nine.
Be sure to Western Union the dinero muy pronto to my trustworthy Nigerian bank address and you have a minty swingarm stretcher in no time.  :)
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline germanicus777

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 10:50:44 am »
LOL no thanks I dont think I need a swingarm stretcher  :o

But yeah I've been looking around and some people mod the swing arm by welding but I've also heard of people
interchanging swing arms from other bikes that fit and can give a 2 inch stretch?
Anyone know of any parts or threads on this topic?

Much Thanks!

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 11:18:09 am »
 Search gsxr swingarm or 1000 or c1150 Suzuki..swingarm..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 11:22:50 am »
run a search on it and spend some time in the inspiration gallery
the honda chopper has alot of info and theres a bunch of bobbers in the xs650 site also
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:27:01 am by the technological J »
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline Eddie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 03:32:33 pm »
Sorry to say I didnt take any pictures of the building of the swingarm. I investigated the GSXR but it looked more complicated than stretching the one I had. It might be a good swap if you're going to drive the #$%* out of it.....me, not so much...just a cruiser....not many twisties here in ILL farm land.

Offline dave the welder

• dave the welder
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 04:42:47 pm »
go to HONDACHOPPERS.comand just look around.every thing you are asking about is there just look and ask questions they are very helpful and by the way a hardtail(or rigid frame)is not as bad as you might think i live in se mich and have ridden my rigid to mackaniw 4 times in 3 years i am 53 years old and so far so goodif the road is smooth the ride is good if its bumpy its a little worse than if you have rear shocks
don't buy it build it

Offline germanicus777

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 05:17:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies I'll check the sites and threads recommended!

Dave, Yeah I've been thinking about going for a hardtail because it's such a pain looking for how to build a soft tail... nearly impossible actually.

BUT I live in Los Angeles and it's notorious for its many potholes and bumpy roads. The only time I've seen a smooth street was about 10 yrs ago when they did a quarter mile of gravel brand new again.

Hahaha thanks for the 2 cents though much appreciated and I'll think about the hardtail.
By the way Dave if you have a hard tail how much does the seat with springs help?
I've heard from someone that hardtails are a bit dangerous because the rear of the bike can actually get lifted off the ground if going over  a bump? Something about there being no suspension to help keep the rear down after a bump of some sort. Not sure if its true but something I heard

Offline germanicus777

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:58 pm »
Also, does anyone know any shops located around Los Angeles, California that works with Honda cb750s bobber style?

Offline mcuozzo

• Hot Shot
  • Bottle in front of me or frontal labotomy?
    • 77 CB750K - needs total rebuild
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 08:36:20 am »
There's one right in your backyard...

http://venicechoppers.com/

Chris is the owner, very active over on www.hondachopper.com.  Never met him personally, but based on his posts seems like a good guy...

Matt

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 08:53:07 am »
heres a sweet spot for an ignition switch..... pirated i mean borrowed from venice choppers
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline dave the welder

• dave the welder
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 11:50:08 am »
i have 3"springs under the seat it helpa A LOTdon't worry about the back tire comming off the ground on bumpsit doesn't happen as often as you think
don't buy it build it