Author Topic: brandEn's K4  (Read 174927 times)

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
Re: La Flama Blanca aka The K4 - painting the tank... AGAIN.
« Reply #525 on: September 21, 2013, 08:46:43 pm »
Where did you order that groovy fuse block?

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #526 on: September 21, 2013, 08:53:28 pm »
Fuseblock looks like HondaMan's, are they relays from him? Are they the std ones about an inch cube without the terminals? Or is it a thinner section. Is it a 15A, 20A, or 30A relay?
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #527 on: September 21, 2013, 10:03:52 pm »
Where did you order that groovy fuse block?

The fuse block is from Oregon Motorcycle Parts , the same place I got my R/R from. I made a bracket so it would mount to the stock location.

As for the relays they are from Eastern Beaver , and they are 20 amp "micro" relays. They are pretty slick and should handle the load of my headlight and coils just fine. They are a bit smaller than the standard relays you find at the local auto parts store.

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
« Reply #528 on: September 23, 2013, 08:59:34 am »
Thanks man.

I don't see it on his web site so I'll shoot him an email.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #529 on: September 23, 2013, 09:10:49 am »
Thanks man.

I don't see it on his web site so I'll shoot him an email.

No prob, his website is a bit "clunky" and dated but he is real good with responding to emails.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #530 on: September 24, 2013, 07:22:04 pm »
Coming along nicely, branden. Bummed we didn't get out for a few laps this summer. 
Good thing your not drinking the water down there  :P
I'll knock down this Valhalla red in hopes the rest of your build goes smoothly...
Lata...
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #531 on: September 24, 2013, 07:25:52 pm »
Coming along nicely, branden. Bummed we didn't get out for a few laps this summer. 
Good thing your not drinking the water down there  :P
I'll knock down this Valhalla red in hopes the rest of your build goes smoothly...
Lata...

haha Cheers!

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #532 on: September 24, 2013, 07:58:21 pm »
Just a thought,
the micro relays made by Panasonic 30A are carried by Digikey and they are under $6 and even with shipping they are a good price. The Littlefuse fuse boxes are available frome them as well, they run between $26-35.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #533 on: September 30, 2013, 04:02:16 pm »
Wiring is 99% done and everything works now.  I ran out of bullet connectors and only needed 2! Placed an order just because it's good to have extra on hand.  I had to remove the harness after all that time spent setting it in place. When I hooked up my battery the only thing that worked was NOTHING. So after retracing some wires and following the diagram I got it sorted out and everything works perfect now.

I have turned my attention to carbs now. I am gathering parts needed to use my stock round top carbs and have accumulated most everything to put them together.

Just wondering if my carbs will create any problems if I run them without these boots?

I am also debating on K&N pod filters or my stock modified airbox with a K&N filter installed. I drilled out the back with a hole saw in 3 places.

Comments? Suggestions?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:21:23 pm by brandEn »

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #534 on: September 30, 2013, 05:10:41 pm »
The airbox was called a "still-air box". The original design was to let air enter and become still so the carbs could have a clean whiff.  By drilling the holes you reduce the "still..." portion of the design.

Still, I think either would work fine. I can't remember your cc's. IF its stock I'd go with the box.

IF it's 836 or higher, the pods should work fine in my experience. The larger displacement is less susceptible to the cons of the pods.

Anything other than stock air box will render marginally more performance in exchange for marginally more intake noise, and some breathy reactions to sidewinds and rain. I always thought it gave the bike character. 

PS: Chuck the boots, just don't play in the sand.   :D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #535 on: September 30, 2013, 05:19:26 pm »
Thanks for the input Ron. My jugs are punched out to 836 with a Wiseco kit. I am still on the fence with the airbox. The K&N pods are what I would prefer to run but want to keep my options open....

boots chucked, no riding in the dunes for this bike.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #536 on: September 30, 2013, 05:37:10 pm »
Anything other than stock air box will render marginally more performance in exchange for marginally more intake noise, 

Sorry Ron but thats just not so, most pods have no velocity stacks and the Honda induction system was designed to specifically run with the stacks, pods generally pass turbulent air into the ports messing up the induction, i won't go further into it but the airbox, while it is really too small to supply "still" air,  stops the turbulence which is an undesirable factor in the Honda induction design,  Velocity stacks and good quality pods with inbuilt stacks like some K&N's may  give a small improvement in top end performance as thats what the good pods were designed for but on the street the mod Brandon has already done will let the 750 breathe better and thats what counts...
Pods are also effected by cross winds and rain as mentioned.... ;)  Brandon, I'm going to use an airbox on my 1000cc fuel injected engine and air boxes on the 970 and 900 kitted engines... Pods are a compromise not needed on the street, they have become a bit of a fashion statement in recent times, form over function...;)  I should also say that this all relates to the stock type carbs, different carbs have different needs... ;)  All modern road race bikes run stacks and airboxes....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #537 on: September 30, 2013, 05:45:15 pm »
That's a pretty good post Retro. So what do you think of the holes I drilled in the airbox? I just kind of winged it on the mod, not much info out there as far as air box mods go. Seems like it would flow pretty good now.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #538 on: September 30, 2013, 05:55:14 pm »
That was a common mod back in the day Brandon, it lets in more air so you will need to rejet and possibly move the needles as well. I'm going to do something similar but try and make it more stock looking like cutting a couple of boxes up to get the shroud that covers the stock inlet hole and double the size...Make sense..?   ;D  Bikes looking great...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #539 on: September 30, 2013, 06:20:23 pm »
Got any info on the K&N pod filters with the built in velocity stacks?

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #540 on: September 30, 2013, 06:28:21 pm »
Your holes are bigger than mine! Can't say how much they help but it looks cool  ;D

Pods on the techie 900 with the CR31's but stock holey box on the low tech 1000 which will use my stock carbs, mild porting and 33.5 intakes. Why, because that's all I have left to play with including $$  ;) so I'm thinking it'll run just fine  ::)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #541 on: September 30, 2013, 06:33:47 pm »
Got any pics of your modified box? Just wondering how others are doing it...

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #542 on: September 30, 2013, 07:01:42 pm »
That's a pretty good post Retro. So what do you think of the holes I drilled in the airbox? I just kind of winged it on the mod, not much info out there as far as air box mods go. Seems like it would flow pretty good now.
Branden, Hondaman has a page or so, with pics, on airbox mods in his book...
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #543 on: September 30, 2013, 08:03:57 pm »
Yea I actually JUST saw that in my copy by accident. It seems Hondaman's book is ALWAYS the last place I look for information only to discover it has something I needed to know! I need to leave it out on my bench or something.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #544 on: September 30, 2013, 10:00:22 pm »
Got any pics of your modified box? Just wondering how others are doing it...

I'll see what I can do for pics tomorrow.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #545 on: October 05, 2013, 03:28:51 pm »
Wiring done!
Just need to hook up the starter. I am going to leave it disconnected to prevent any accidental blips of the starter button.  I am real happy with the way this wiring has turned out. Glad I added the relays for my coils and headlights .

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #546 on: October 05, 2013, 03:30:22 pm »
Figured I would show how I routed my Slingshot Cycles brake lines. I still need to pick up a double banjo bolt and then service and bleed the brakes.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:33:31 pm by brandEn »

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #547 on: October 05, 2013, 03:49:11 pm »
It's looking REALLY new Branden. I'll grab the airbox and snap a pic probably tomorrow. Just got home with plans for the evening and it'll take me a bit to get settled back in.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #548 on: October 05, 2013, 03:53:25 pm »
No worries Jerry I am not in any hurry. If its a hassle don't worry about it. I know you probably got more important things to take care of....haha

Thanks for compliment. I am really happy on the way this bike is turning out.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:10:45 pm by brandEn »

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #549 on: October 05, 2013, 04:09:47 pm »
Just dug it outta the basement. Can't do the pic now but it's quite different than your's. When did they change? Anyway I have five 5/8" holes. One on each corner and 3 across the back. I'll get a picture.