garrettcb750
27 (32.9%)
ZanVooden
22 (26.8%)
Nvr2old
33 (40.2%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: March 31, 2012, 08:03:46 am

Author Topic: Vote for Bike Of The Month - April 2012  (Read 9574 times)

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Vote for Bike Of The Month - April 2012
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:03:46 am »
It's Votin' Time!

Nomination Thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=103091.0

Now it is time for your pics and stories.  Spread them out.  It makes this half of the month more interesting.

garrettcb750

ZanVooden

Nvr2old
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
Re: Vote for Bike Of The Month - April 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:30:48 am »
ah, man... I thought this would be an easy vote, then I got to looking at the pics...

Guess I'll need some convincing again this month.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:17:40 am »
All great bikes again.  I have to go with my painter this month. ;)

Offline nvr2old

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:31:07 pm »
Thanks again for the nomination, very flattering.

A little history on my 1976 CB550F Super Sport:

Back in 'o2 I wanted to find a 400F to make a track bike out of.  I had one in the past and loved it.  A friend of mine who is a very talented machinist told me about a guy he knew who had a 550F for sale.  This guy was also a very talented machinist.  I wasn't really interested in a 550 but thought what the hell, I'll take a look at it.  We went over to his house and there in the back of his garage was this rolling chassis that he had started on back in the late 80's.  He was the original owner and said it only has 23K on the clock.  His intention was to also make a vintage road racer out of it.  Perfect!  He got married, started a family and the project stalled.  It sat for 12 years, untouched, but stored perfectly.  He had already stripped it down and removed as much weight as he could.  He then proceeded to make some of the most beautiful, one-off, hand made parts for it I had ever seen.  My jaw was on the floor.  He made all the brackets, hangers, rear sets, clip-ons, and carefully crafted new engine covers for it.  He also made the fork brace which is a work of art by itself.  It  had a brand spankin' new era-correct Kerker 4 into 1 on it, too.  He had also removed the starter and alternator to go total loss.  He said he shaved at least 15 lbs. off the engine alone.  He had 2 early mid-70's Cycle World magazine articles (which I also got) that he was using as a reference showing what they were doing on a project bike to prep one for racing.  That included using the stock airbox with an external filter.  He made new mounts and laid the (Boge Mullholand) rear shocks forward 2 inches.  The rear shocks even have hand-machined adjusters that you can turn by hand rather then having to use a tool.  Gorgeous pieces. He installed the second disk brake, which have the forks turned around so the calipers mount on the rear instead of in front of the forks.  All trick stuff to do back then.  He even went as far as to machine the rear brake adjuster in the same knurled aluminum that he made the rear set foot pegs out of.  Amazing attention to detail.  The rear hub was beautifully vented.  He went as far as to machine a tiny finned aluminum cover to screw into the right side mirror hole on the throttle!  It also came with all the OEM parts he took off.  I was literally drooling at this point and tentatively asked what he wanted for it.  He said $400..what..?  $400!!!!  OMG..I was doing everything in my power not to scream like a little girl!  He just wanted it to go to a good home, and to someone that would finish it in the way it deserved.  I couldn't write the check fast enough.  Screw the 400F plan!!  I got it home, hooked a battery up to it, kicked it 3 times, and it lit right off.  It runs perfect. 

Over the course of 5 months I, along with the help of the machinist friend that told me about it, finished it.  We took the same approach as the original owner had intended. Carefully making a headlight/fairing mount, tach mount, rear subfender mount and a trick mounting system for the front fender and rear sub fender.  The original front fender is cut in two, and mounted on the front and back of the fork brace.  The fender stays were also sectioned to lower it down as close to the tire as possible.  The rear sub fender was originally a Yamaha front fender, cut down the middle and widened 1 inch.

I made the fiberglass tail section from scratch using the back half of the tank as a mold.  I cut a 4" pie section out of the middle of it to narrow it and then 'glassed it all back together again.  The tail light is from a salvage yard.  I "think" it's from a Suzuki RG500 2-stroke.  I frenched it in flush with the back and used LED tail light bulbs.  We ditched the original wire harness and made a very simplified new harness.  No key.  Just a hidden toggle switch.  We then made a simple dash to mount rocker switches for the lights.  Because it's total loss we wanted to be able to preserve as much juice from the battery as possible.  I can turn the head light and tail light off for back road carving, and turn them on when needed.  The brake light is hard wired to only come on with the rear brake applied, again to conserve power.  I have 2 batteries, one full-sized mounted pretty much in the stock position next to the K&N filter, and a small "emergency" battery under the swing arm.  A 3-position toggle switch controls the ignition, which battery to use, and can be done on the fly.  I get about 6 hrs. of riding time out of the main battery (not mounted in pics) and about an hr. out of the reserve battery.  It's never left me stranded.  I'm 6' tall, so riding it for a few hrs. with clip-ons and rear sets is about all I can handle anyways.. ;D!   It revs so much freer w/o the starter and alternator.  I've had it up to a GPS confirmed 117 mph.  Might get 120 out of it if taken deep into red line, but just don't want to do that.  Not bad for a stock 550 engine.

I did all the paint and finish work.  The bike has been on the track, in the rain, and gets ridden about 500 hundred miles per year is all.  I was fortunate enough to have it featured as an "American Flyer" in Cycle World, and placed second in class at the '08 Legend of the Motorcycle show.  I missed 1st place by 1/2 point due to it having a small bungee strap holding the reserve battery in it's place.  They said if it would've had a rubber or metal one, it would have won.  That's how tight the judges scoring was.  I was happy just to be there.  Riding it up to the podium was one of the proudest moments of my life, lemme tell ya!

It's been the jewel of my collection since the day I got it.  I'm looking forward to many more years with it.  Oh, BTW..who was the first guy to ride it after I got it done?  Tom Rasp, the guy I bought it from.  He came back with it and told me he was blown away by how it handled, accelerated and stopped.  Just the way he had always hoped it would.  You could tell he was ambivalent at that point about selling it, but was thrilled someone could do it justice in his eyes.

These "glamor" shots were for the Cycle World photo shoot.  Thanks for looking.

Judges at LOM

Alan Cathcart asking some questions on the podium

'76 CB550F-'72 XL250-'82 MB5-'82 CX500 Turbo-'77 naked Goldwing-'75 CB400F cafe'-'79 Suzuki GS1000S..hey, it's a Wes Cooley..

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 04:15:36 pm »
Work of art Larry... Next time I see you I want to look at it in person. :D

Offline nvr2old

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 05:30:59 pm »
Hell, Tige..fire it up and take it for a spin.   ;)    It's a blast to ride.
'76 CB550F-'72 XL250-'82 MB5-'82 CX500 Turbo-'77 naked Goldwing-'75 CB400F cafe'-'79 Suzuki GS1000S..hey, it's a Wes Cooley..

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:15:08 pm »
Larry, what seat cowl is that and who did your upholstery?

Offline nvr2old

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:00:17 pm »
I made the cowl from scratch, bought and shaped the foam for the seat and then Royal Upholstery here in Spokane covered it for me, Branden.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 06:29:21 am »
Job done and not a black rim in sight. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 07:30:06 am »
You know you want to PC the rims on the auto, Sam.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 08:22:02 am »
Black rims rule!

Offline ZanVooden

• I don't need no stinkin' title
  • Hot Shot
  • This was suppose to be a quick one month job...
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 08:31:04 am »
Wow, a little of just about everything this month. a chopper, stock, and a cafe. I'm not sure my stocker can stand next to these beautiful machines.

So for anyone interested here is the project thread http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=84810.0

No where near a good of story about this bike as Nvr2old's but heres what I've got.

I bought this bike for $150 and rebuilt it over the winter months here in Wisconsin in my unheated shop. Burned lots of propane through my little torpedo heater. The bike was stripped down to the frame and repainted and rebuilt and was put back together piece by piece.
This was my second rebuild of a bike the first was my 78K.
The only thing not stock on this bike is the handlebar, just because I like the feel of the lower bar. The stock one is sitting on a shelf in the shop.

This has been a great bike. I rode it all summer and fall last year just about everywhere. This bike takes whatever I push it through with no problems.

Its just a blast to ride.

Here are a couple before and after pictures.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:39:28 am by ZanVooden »

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 08:35:35 am »
You cleaned her up real nice!!!  I am sure anyone here would let your bike stand next to theirs without a second thought.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline nvr2old

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 10:25:32 am »
That's an amazing transformation.  You should be very proud of that Super Sport, for sure!

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 09:56:01 am »
All the bikes are nice in their own sort of way, I would be happy to own any of them. 8)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Randawg77

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 06:58:28 pm »
Yup, something for everyone  a cafe type,  a resto and a chopper!     all beautiful bikes and the hard work shows  up in the end   
Don't  Taze me, Bro!

Offline garretcb750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 03:41:27 pm »
Let me start by saying I appreciate the nomination. NVR2OLD, your bike is my style. I love it.  Top notch craftsmanship. ZanVooden don't sell yourself short, we all put a lot of time and money into these machines no matter what style. You have got a very nice bike there. I'm partial to the Supersport.

I've been lurking and learning on this forum for a few years now. Always checking out the newest and latest builds, projects and ideas. Sometimes not for months but I always come back. A few years ago I got hung up on 750's while looking for a project. It didn't take long to learn the history and popularity of the sohc Honda and realise that it was the bike for me. First bike build was a bone stock 750f. While looking for ideas I stumbled on a site for the cycleone manufacturing company and they had a bike on one of there build pages called "kickstart my heart". I fell in love with the frame but a custom frame was not in the works for this guy just yet. I tore the bike apart every winter and over a few years its now the bike in my avatar, but that frame was still in my head.

Moving on.. while working out west on the Alberta oil sands I had enough money to start another bike. I had lots of parts in my shed. A 76 750K that was a  running bike which supplied my motor, hubs and other necessary parts. Some borrani rims that were free and some tires I bought for another unfinished project now parted out. The frame is a cycleone manufacturing frame, 4 out  -1 up (down) with a  std rear 2in stretch. I had intentions of using a header I had so Kate from cycleone suggested I added clearance under the bike for it which gave me 5 inches of ground clearance. The bike utilises the stock length front end. The wassel tank and oil tank were fleabay purchases and I  made an order to ken at cyclex for his slip on pipe, 3.5 headlight, taillight, bars and such. The spokes came from where else but Buchanan's.

The header once bolted on the bike did not fit. After 13 cuts I got it to fit and wrapped it to cover up my welds. I originally purchased a solo leather seat and chrome rear fender but once mounted I wasn t happy.  I decided to make my own and sent the pan to Ontario (Canada) to the same guy who covered my supersport seat.  The motor has stock internals besides 41a cam, electronic ignition, header and of course velocity stacks ( I run them on both my bikes) I made a top engine coil mount and the switch box under the seat. The regulator(dohc) is behind the back portion of the seat. The battery sits in a round bar formed battery box welded to the frame and the solenoid is mounted off the top battery strap behind the oil lines. I wired it from scratch.

Its pretty bare bones but it works very well and its a blast top drive.

Offline garretcb750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 03:45:28 pm »
pics, enjoy and thanks again.

Offline nvr2old

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 12:59:04 pm »
That's really a nice bike, Garret.  Most of the time a CB750 engine just doesn't look right in a chopper-type custom, to me..but yours is extremely clean and so tastefully executed.  So many times this style bike is taken so far over the top ie: OCC stuff.  Your bike actually looks very comfortable, and very rideable.  You should be incredibly proud of that build, and congratulated for going outside the norm.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 01:48:32 pm »
all exceptional machines! and a nice selection of style as well.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline mick750F

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 05:58:43 pm »

Three great lookin' rides here but I had to go with VanZooden. Even though it's not a total restoration his is probably more correct than mine. Not that I've been trying to make mine correct...Jeebers!, it wasn't even correct from the factory.  ;) ::) I've been trying to make mine NOT correct.  8)  Great to see a 78' 750F3 up for BOTM. Let the best '78 750F win. ;D ;D ;D

Mike
'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 09:02:13 am »
Looks like we have a winner!  Congrats!

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 10:30:29 am »
congratulations to Nvr2old!

All awesome bikes and as always I hope the others are re-nominated in future BOTM battles.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline nvr2old

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 12:57:52 pm »
Thanks very much, guys.  I'm honored.  It definitely wasn't a blow out by any means.  Both 750's worthy of the distinction.  ;D   I'd vote for either of them in the future.

Larry

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 01:05:52 pm »
Congrats Larry!  Glad your 550 got the much deserved recognition. 
All great bike this month, it was a close one.
Thanks very much, guys.  I'm honored.  It definitely wasn't a blow out by any means.  Both 750's worthy of the distinction.  ;D   I'd vote for either of them in the future.

Larry

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 02:03:38 pm »
Congrats Larry!

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 07:29:23 pm »

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline wedoo2

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 03:06:47 am »
Never too old to win BOTM!  That black bike in the snow was a great photograph.
Some days the sun is too loud.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 11:48:35 am »

You know, that was what did it for me. I was having trouble making up my mind, but that snow stuck in between the knobs on the tires just looked cool as hell.

My horse didn't come in this month, but it was one heck of a battle. Great bikes, all three of you!
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 08:40:52 am »

In the small pics posted later of the bike in the snow, the second picture makes the bike look as if it's on the salt at Bonneville. 8)

Well done all this month, all worthy.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92