Author Topic: 2012 Relay Ride Riders Logs **Rider's Logs Only**  (Read 29579 times)

Offline grumpy

• HUH?!?! ME!?!? I'm not a freakin
  • Expert
  • ..... '73 750K3 .....
2012 Relay Ride Riders Logs **Rider's Logs Only**
« on: March 23, 2012, 08:09:38 pm »
Gemini & I got back to my house about an hour ago. Gemini took off for home in Oakland.

Gemini, Matt, and Domer picked me up in Davenport at 11:00am.

We went to the Santa Cruz for lunch on the beach. GZ checked out some bikinis playing volleyball while we ate.

Domer had to head back so Matt, Gemini, and I headed south on Hwy 1 through Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur.

Gemini & I split off from Matt about 20 miles north of Hearst Castle (where we found a place that charged $6.49/gal for gas  :o :o ). He said he was considering blasting past Morrow Bay to try and outrun the rain that's on the way in. He might be in Palmdale by now...

270mi for me today.
Way more for Gemini.
Who knows how many Matt will rack up.

8)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:43:44 pm by madmtnmotors »

Offline domer

• I got a bridge for sale, and it was built by a
  • Expert
  • everything is better with a bag of weed!
Re: 2012 Relay Ride Riders Logs **Rider's Logs Only**
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 08:01:29 am »
I think Matt was the only one who got pics of people. Not sure what I was thinking... Oh wait I know what I was thinking, my 500 is the most uncomfortable bike in existence!!! Glad I peeled off when I did cause I'm still walking like a duck....

Godzilla makes his way from the far away ghetto known as Oakland..

Enjoying a day on the beach outside the Santa Cruz boardwalk...

Fattmatt and Gemini should have more pics... I hope!

Offline geminimotors

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 12:54:07 pm »
Posted my pics in the other thread, so here we go again:
 What a day! Godzilla and I left Oakland at 8:15am, met Fatmatt and Domer in Pacifica at 9. Met Grumpy at 10:30 in Davenport, and roared South. Had lunch in Santa Cruz, Domer headed for home. Grumpy and I planned to peel off at Monterey, but the weather was so fine, traffic so light, Grumpys new motor, and my new cam were working perfectly. Before we knew it, Big Sur was waaay behind us. The only gas station for miles, we paid $6.49 a gallon for gas. Took the requisite handoff photos and sent Matt on his way.
 Backtracking up the coast, Grumpy and I got our haulass on. Back in Gilroy I stopped for a cuppa joe at Grumpys house- his daughter  just found out the truth about the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Santa Clause. All at once. Dang.
 A steady slog in the fast lane of the slab back to my ghettoasis in Funkytown. 8:30pm. 12 hours, 385 miles, and my butt hurts in places I didn't know I had butt. A beautiful and exhausting day. I hope everyone else has this much fun.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:11:12 pm by geminimotors »

Offline geminimotors

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:55:30 pm »
Stopped to check out some big bikes.

Offline geminimotors

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 12:57:27 pm »
Handing off to a squinting Grumpy, and the high cost of getting home!
Total 385 miles for me.

Offline geminimotors

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »
When we stopped for the photo op at the big motorcycle sculptures, Godzilla hopped on with Grumpy. Looking at the map, I reckon he did 120 miles with me, and 60 or so with Grumpy.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:46:10 pm »
GZ insisted on mapping out the route back to AZ...
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 10:34:43 pm »
Group pic this morning, shortly before re-fueling and heading off in three different directions. Left to right: Me, Greenhornet, Mooshie, and Fatmatt.
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline sscardefield

• CB Town - Just Rippin'
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 01:17:49 pm »
Myself and luap took GZ from north Phoenix to south Scottsdale yesterday. Tomorrow afternoon I will be taking him out to heffay in east Mesa, which will give him a total of 55 miles with me across the east side of Phoenix metro.

http://g.co/maps/zcyay

The handoff with scottly:

GZ wasn't a fan of luap's fendor so he smashed it:

Wanting to be a good host and all, of course we had to take him to AZ Bike Week:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:20:48 pm by sscardefield »

Offline GreenHornet74

• Enthusiast
    • 4 Months on CB750s
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 01:34:54 pm »
Here are some pics of yesterday's ride... I headed to Rosamond from L.A. with some dude on a triumph (my cousin). We arrived at APE were I met Mooshie & FattMatt650. After brief salutations, we headed to the track for a lap around one of their many courses. Fattmatt650 then handed over GZ to myself, duct taped it to my headlamp, and booked it towards Joshua Tree.

Roundtrip miles: 447

DSC_3383 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

DSC_3385 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

DSC_3388 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

DSC_3389 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

DSC_3393 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:50:26 pm by GreenHornet74 »
4 Month Motorcycle Trip Photo Blog...work in progress
http://sorozcojr.tumblr.com/

Offline GreenHornet74

• Enthusiast
    • 4 Months on CB750s
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 01:35:31 pm »
GZ having some whiskey and chasing it with 2 beers. He must be related to Chuck Norris or Ron Swanson.

DSC_3394 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Scottly's Arrival...

DSC_3397 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Mooshie handing off GZ to Scottly

DSC_3395 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Sandy Pipes

DSC_3401 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Storm coming our way!

DSC_3402 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Offline GreenHornet74

• Enthusiast
    • 4 Months on CB750s
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 01:35:59 pm »
Outside the saloon... What's that Triumph doing there?!

DSC_3400 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Getting ready for the rain, wind, and sand. Triumph again?!

DSC_3404 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Abandoned gas station just outside our motel

DSC_3410 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Left to Right: Scottly, ME, Mooshie, FattMatt650

DSC_3412 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Offline GreenHornet74

• Enthusiast
    • 4 Months on CB750s
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 01:36:25 pm »
Triumph shivering in the cold

DSC_3430 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Snowman

DSC_3431 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

The Green Hornet AKA Rocinante

DSC_3434 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

This was waiting for us just outside HWY18 after the snow. What a reward!

DSC_3438-DSC_3444 by ugymocker@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:42:25 pm by GreenHornet74 »

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 01:59:41 pm »
Sscar... Put some more miles on!  We could do a bit of a ride when you're here tomorrow too.

I appreciate you accomodating my schedule  ;)
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 03:20:15 pm »
that damn godzilla eating my fender. it was nice meeting you scottly.
paul
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 06:49:19 pm »
I stopped to take some pics on the way home, somewhere between Wenden, and Aguila, on hwy 60.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 06:52:14 pm »
GZ enjoyed his vantage point; he likes to see where he's going.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 07:30:01 pm »
GZ greeting SScardefield, luap, and the guy with the toaster tank.

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 08:02:23 pm »
Well we are a bit out of order but here is my ride with GZ (Lefty) 2012:

Much ado was made about the incoming weather but we were able to beat the rain at every step. But of course, as the Wind Goddess we could not out run the double digit wind gusts and sustained winds of 25 mph...oh well.

Matt arrives at Rosamond

We stand around for a bit hoping the weather in the west holds and in comes Green Hornet with a Triumph stuck to his left tire...this Triumph dude hung around the entire time!

I must state that you can always tell a Honda SOHC4 has arrived as all three of us squeaked to a stop.  It was quite cacophonous and I can only assume that all the locals from Rosamond to Joshua Tree appreciated our arrivals and more than likely our departures...

Nevertheless we arrived at Willow Springs and were met by Chris Huth's son (Christian-I hope I spelled his name correctly) who informed us we could not get onto the Willow track for another 45 minutes (oil spill) and we wisely decided to try and beat the storm.  Then Christian graciously said we could ride the Streets of Willow so we all jumped at that and off we went.

Matt prepares lefty for his spin on the track:

And the fellows had a go at the track. I declined as I was there for 8 hours riding that thing the day before...I just wanted to roll...We did the official handoff of GZ from Matt to GreenHornet (Sal on the right) and off we went.

I have no idea where GreenHornet handed off lefty to me but I can say I think we were literally just blown there by that blasted wind..always the windy gusts of California for the world tours!  But here we are somewhere between Rosamond and Joshua Tree for the handoff

After tucking GZ into my saddlebag (he heard that his twin rode there last year and he was having nothing of riding on the bars) we left where ever we were and continued our journey

Here is the storm that was following us the entire way:

After another bunch of windy miles we rolled into Joshua Tree, squeaking but dry.  Matt was starving by this point so we decided to stop and get a bite to eat and have a well deserved drink.  By the way, lefty prefers whiskey, not beer.  What better place to stop but the local saloon.

While waiting for Scottly to arrive, and trying to talk GreenHornet and Triumph dude out of camping (which we were successful at) Scottly calls and he is literally down the road. 

Scottly on the horizon

Now we are a quartet (and a Triumph)

After letting Scottly have a drink, and admiring his bike, we do the official handoff (I think you can figure out who is who on this one).  I carried Godzilla for 83 miles and traveled a total of 475 miles.

We then found a motel one block down and just as we put makeshift covers on the bikes (with exception of Matt who promptly fell asleep!) the rain and 50mph wind gusts rolled in. The next morning my cover was balled up against my front tire, held in place only because of a well placed rock.  Scottly's cover had split down the center.  Sal (Green Hornet) and his cousin (Triumph Dude who wants to own a 550 one day) their covers never budged.  We also found out that the motel owner is an avid UFO watcher who regaled us with his stories of UFO's who landed in Joshua Tree (complete with pictures and a 3 second video which Matt insists was a plastic paper bag).  Sal was being very polite but after Matt made his plastic bag crack our kind motel owner left us to our own devices.

GreenHornet (Sal) suggests we go next door to an abandoned gas station and take our final pictures with GZ before Scottly heads to Arizona:

Here is Triumph Dude with the cool guys in the background...

And here is the quartet (Scottly-Scott, GreenHornet-Sal, Mooshie-Lisa, FatMatt-Matt)

Can't wait for 2013....Take care of lefty and enjoy the ride!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:08:54 pm by Mooshie »
1976 CB550F
Standard disclaimer: Remember I am just a girl--so be nice fellows!

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 07:57:16 pm »
My report:
Sunday morning, 3/25 5:15 AM. I'm awake before the alarm goes off. Check the temperature outside. Hmm, 32 degrees. Check the weather forecasts again; while they vary wildly on an hourly basis, it looks like I will be riding into the storm that Mooshie, Matt, Greenhornet, and Triumph guy are trying to outrun. The sooner I get to JT, the better. By 8:00, the temp was up to 40, so I finished strapping everything down, squeezed my leather jacket over a down jacket, and hit the road at 8:30.
I stopped in Wickenburg around 10:00, filled up (took about 1.5 gallons, not bad for 90+ miles ;D), and headed towards Parker, my next scheduled stop. A short time after Aguila, I ran into NASTY crosswinds. I was going straight, with the bike leaning at a 15 degree angle, and wallowing. :o Left-hand turns were scary! I slowed down to 50MPH at times, even though the limit was 65. Once I peeled off hwy 60 onto hwy 72, the crosswinds became more of a tailwind. It's a bit eerie to be riding at 65-70 MPH with no wind noise. The motor is barely working, so the exhaust is muted. It seems like you are gliding along. 8)
After gassing up in Parker (both myself and the bike; I had a hamburger, while the Seeley had 1.7 gallons of high octane), I pressed on towards Joshua Tree around 1:00. I got to JT at about 3:15, and after cruising up and down the main drag, stopped and found I had a voice mail from Lisa. Called her, and could see her waving, right down the street! Crap, I'd ridden right past the bikes parked at the curb twice, and didn't see the Hondas. (the Triumph distracted me!) I ride on down, and get in the left-turn lane at the traffic light. While waiting to get a left-hand turn arrow, I'm hit with a freaking gust of wind that almost blew me over. I knew I was in the presence of the Wind Goddess..... ;D

Monday morning, 3/26.
After bidding adieu to the CA riders, I left JT around 9:45. Once past 29 Palms, Lefty and I had the road to ourselves, except for a coyote that sauntered across the highway ahead of us. There was a bit of a breeze, but nothing compared to the day before. As we neared Parker, a steady stream of RV's began to go past in the other direction; the annual snowbird migration had just begun. After refueling, we continued on to the next stop in Wickenburg. As we were going through the 'burg, Lefty had a spaz attack, banging his piston on the windscreen. It seems he mistook the cottonwood fluff floating in the air for snow; guess his bro warned him about cold white stuff falling from the sky. ;)
 While I was refueling,I got into a conversation with an older lady at the gas station which led to me explaining about my precious cargo and mission. She thought the whole idea was great, and told me about a back-packing trip she took through Ireland years ago. She totally got it!! 8)
A while after leaving Wickenburg, I got caught behind a stock truck. You DO NOT want to follow a stock truck on a motorcycle. Why? Because stock trucks carry livestock. Cattle. Cows are not potty trained. When they need to pee, they do, and with a vengeance! I passed at the nearest opportunity, luckily before any incident. ;D Thirty minutes later, I was at the hand-off point, ahead of schedule..
I had a GREAT time, and it was AWESOME meeting all of you face-to-face!!!!! ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)
Scott
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:05:50 pm by scottly »

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 09:02:42 pm »
While waiting for Seth and luap to take the little #$%* off my hands, (hey, he bit me!) Lefty had a chance to admire the desert flora...

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 10:55:21 pm »
GZ is the master of my domain for the nite... overseeing the toys in the garage from a vantage point he can really enjoy, atop the 400f.

We met Sscardefield and jj_toney for the first time... They brought GZ to me (and wife) at our home in Mesa AZ.  Shared some brewskies, bbq, and stories of mechanical mayhem.  These are the first real friends we've made since moving here last April and its great to finally feel like we might have some buddies to ride and chill with.  Not to mention, they have some kick ass customs to oogle!

Can't wait to ride on Saturday!!! But first, sit on my ass all day tomorrow at work daydreaming of some well deserved mileage.
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 06:49:45 am »
GZ seems a little miffed at the 25mph law... don't worry GZ, I usually do about 10-20 over  ;)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:16:15 pm by heffay »

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 09:11:37 pm »
A shot of SScardfield, jj toney, and luap's bikes.

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 11:23:33 pm »
GZ's been "helping" pack and get the bikes ready... really he's just a know-it-all that likes to throw wrenches at things, but fun to have around for the little bit that I've known him.

Watch your toolboxes guys, he can't keep his talons away from anything shiny and/or greasy

He was keen to inform me that the 250r needs swing arm bearings... thank you GZ, I know

No GZ, I wish

He's ready to F'n go already!  OK, dude, chill out... I need sleep