Author Topic: Gerex 2 ignition  (Read 11178 times)

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: Gerex 2 ignition
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2013, 07:09:22 pm »
I have one I got with my gs750. How would I test if it works or not?
With the unit wired up, there will be a high-pitched whine from the box when the ignition is on. The next test would be to spin the motor and check for spark.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2013, 08:15:45 pm »
+1 on the whine noise
Ive got a Kwaka 69 H1 500 and that has CDI iginition ......man is that baby noisy.
Over the last year I had to replace two cdi boxes as their capaciters are getting old in them and turning to sh#t  at $300 to $400 each time so recently another unit failed so I bought a Lakeland CDI unit  from the US that replaced both original boxes.  This Lakeland unit is awesome, I have never seen a whiter fatter spark in my life on any car , bike, boat or plane ignition system, the real bonus is its small , bullet proof, can connect up battery wrong way ets swap wires not problems and the real icing on the cake is at $200 its half the price of the going ebay rate for Kawasaki box's that dont last anymore.

Did I say how fat the spark was , bloody awesome as in "cant believe my eyes." ::)
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline Hone101

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2013, 08:35:04 pm »
The unit I'm talking about came in a box of extra parts. Is there a way to test it off the bike like with a multimeter? The bike has a smaller gerex installed currently. I wanna test it out so I can try and sell it.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2013, 08:51:25 pm »
Sorry, but I don't know of any multimeter tests for either a Gerex 1 or 2. Not sure what you mean by a "smaller" Gerex?
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Hone101

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2013, 09:05:25 pm »

This is what the one on the bike looks like, the extra one looks like the ones in the previous posts.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2013, 09:30:09 pm »
Do you have the complete kit mate? That's the Gerex ignition plate and rotor, CDI unit and Gerex coils? If you do and they're all in good condition, you should expect around $200 on a good day. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Hone101

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2013, 09:38:34 pm »
Everything but the coils. Love the oil cooler adapters you made for some of the guys on thegsresources.com btw.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2013, 09:42:42 pm »

This is what the one on the bike looks like, the extra one looks like the ones in the previous posts.

One of the differences between a series 1 and series 2 is the routing of the wiring; the series 1 has the wires coming out the back, while the series 2 has the wires coming out of the end. Your unit doesn't appear to have the molded black plastic end-caps like all the others. How is yours mounted?

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2013, 09:57:17 pm »
Everything but the coils. Love the oil cooler adapters you made for some of the guys on thegsresources.com btw.

No worries mate, and thanks for the compliment. I don't do SOHC4 cooler adapters any more, but I still sell lots to the Suzuki guys. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Hone101

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2013, 10:01:04 pm »
It's about a third the size of the one that came in the extra parts box i got and crammed in my battery box.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2013, 10:11:20 pm »
Hone, now that you have 5 posts, you won't have to endure the "vision" test. ::) Please post pics of both your units with a ruler so we can get an idea of scale. I've never seen a Gerex without the end caps. The ones I've seen had screws through the end cap flanges and an aluminum backing plate for mounting.

Offline Hone101

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2013, 09:27:17 am »
Here are a couple