Author Topic: oil splashing from air passages  (Read 7463 times)

Offline phi

oil splashing from air passages
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:46:53 pm »
I have a big bore (67 mm.) with oil everywhere. installed new bottom gasket and new head gasket, and new rubber rings around the base of the cylinders. It is still bleeding oil, but this time i can see it is coming from the air passages between the cylinders.
Is it the rings not being tight enough, or has the machinist hit one of the passages when boring the block? any easy solutions, or do i have to remove the cylinders from the block and weld holes shut? any ideas are welcome. By the way, does any of you have a cut through drawing of the block?
wow, did you see that old Honda?

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
Re: oil splashing from air passages
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 03:55:47 pm »
Welcome to the world of Big Bores! ;) ;D Most people used slicone seal....but a better solution would be a Mike Rieck Big Bore Nikasil cylinder,at top of forum page! ;D No Mo Oil leaks!!! 8) Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 04:47:56 pm »
I don't know how you fitted orings at the base of the cylinder sleeves....once you bore the block to accept the new sleeves there is no recess. If you use the Tapered sleeves like CycleX sells there still isn't the correct recess. I use 1194 around the base of the sleeves. Place the cylinder upside down, work in the 1194, wipe off excess and let it dry. It is oil tight. The "windows" that have opened (between air passages 1&2 and 3&4) secondary to sleeve boring will rust if they aren't sealed with silicone or something.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline phi

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:36:20 am »
That sounds great. No long nights trying to tig in tight places. Thank you for a very usefull answer. It is nice to know that I´m not alone in the pursuit of power.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 03:23:51 am »
I still prefer to weld.

Cheers,
Brian
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 04:31:54 am »
If anyone requires anything welding, I know a good hospital in Aus that does a fantastic job. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nice to see normal postings from you Brian and not just about your health, a big step in the right dierection mate. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 04:59:28 am »
If anyone requires anything welding, I know a good hospital in Aus that does a fantastic job. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nice to see normal postings from you Brian and not just about your health, a big step in the right dierection mate. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Sam. ;)
Absolutely  8)  ;)
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 07:41:38 am »
Would sleeves for a 67mm bore (888cc) open the windows in the casting? I don't think mine did. Maybe they did.

Agree with Mike (how could I not) that by boring out the block to accept the oversize sleeves, you lose the groove where the cylinder base ORings go. IF you try to use them, I can foresee a problem.

I ran an 888 on the street for 50,000+ miles and never had a leak.

They can be left out no problem, even on a stocker. Mikes compound goo 1194 sounds like a good procedure.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 08:45:49 am »
Would sleeves for a 67mm bore (888cc) open the windows in the casting? I don't think mine did. Maybe they did.

Agree with Mike (how could I not) that by boring out the block to accept the oversize sleeves, you lose the groove where the cylinder base ORings go. IF you try to use them, I can foresee a problem.

They can be left out no problem, even on a stocker. Mikes compound goo 1194 sounds like a good procedure.
Curious too as to why 900 sleeves would produce an air gap in the block.
I can't say that I've seen that happen before.
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 08:48:21 am »

If they did, then they did. I suppose that perhaps sleeves for a bigger bore were used and only bored to 67mm.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 09:17:47 am »
 They could be fatter sleeves, I think they can be welded inside, but you have to do it from where the sleeve sits, Before finish boring. IE bore 50 though under, do your weelding, then grind the weld down and finish the hole that sleeve fits in.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 09:27:43 am »

If they did, then they did. I suppose that perhaps sleeves for a bigger bore were used and only bored to 67mm.
From what I've seen is that larger OD sleeves have a larger ID which was beyond 67mm (for the 750) and which was when a breakthrough occurred.
Possibly could be sleeves from another application???
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 09:30:05 am »
Back in the day, the 950 and even 970 Japauto's used to weld the block before boring to oversize sleeves.
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline phi

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 01:06:47 pm »
Guessing is the road to hell, so here is what I actually know: the cylinders is apparently part of a APE set. It reads "900R" in the place where it usually says "738 cc". I got it this way, and i have never removed the sleeves, so I do not know how it looks on the inside, I can just assume from the oil comming out that it has to do with the size of the blocks bore. I have installed the o-rings in the groove between the block and the sleeves, not knowing there was supposed to be a recess there. the groove is around 2 mm wide all the way round.
I can weld the holes shut, but I am worried that the block might get twisted or uneven in the process.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 07:41:21 pm »
Just how much oil are we talking about? The sleeves are a shrink fit into the block, and any oil leaking between the sleeve and block should be more of a weep, not a splash. I've heard of oil dripping in the air passages caused by sealing problems in the cylinder head; cam pucks, or O-rings??
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline phi

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 01:36:05 am »
I checked orings and pucks when disassembling, and was weary carefull when installing the new ones. there is no signs of oil from the top, but just by revving to streetspeeds, there is oil coming from the airgaps in amounts that sprays my pants, my engine, my carps and battery tray. It is quite a large amount. I will take it apart next week, and will then be able to provide pictures of the gap and the airpassages.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 08:10:57 am »
 I suspect the sleeves may be loose, be hard to weld if already bored. If everything was carefully cleaned you may be able to seal it up with epoxy or similar filler..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 08:12:30 am »
I checked orings and pucks when disassembling, and was weary carefull when installing the new ones. there is no signs of oil from the top, but just by revving to streetspeeds, there is oil coming from the airgaps in amounts that sprays my pants, my engine, my carps and battery tray. It is quite a large amount. I will take it apart next week, and will then be able to provide pictures of the gap and the airpassages.
WOW!

I'll be following this with interest.

754 has a good speculation, loose sleeves.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 08:44:59 am »
Yeah...something isn't right. Crankcase pressure blowing oil out like that. ???

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 11:04:18 am »
Michael,

Big Jay did my 900 and it came back with the taper. I fit CB900 o-rings.

Phi,

Get in touch with Big Jay at APE. He's a proud sponsor of ours and would be glad to help out I'm sure.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline phi

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 12:53:19 pm »
Took a deep breath, and got to it today. Despite crappy cam, you can clearly see the 2 mm. groove around the sleeves. No loose pucks, and dry gaskets. The sleeves are rock solid. Tomorrow, I will remove them, and hopefully get an answer.

Offline phi

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 12:07:35 am »
It has been a very long night here in DK, but it was worth it. Look what the sleeves hid. I´m pretty sure fixing this will make my oil nightmare go away.

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 05:20:02 am »
Welding and reboring the block might take it too far for your old sleeves.
Just something to consider and also the cost of doing that as against another block and 900 sleeves that won't break open the walls.
Can you measure the ID & OD of the sleeves that were removed?
I'm quite curious about this.
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
  • did you bleed when you built that?
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 05:43:25 am »
It has been a very long night here in DK, but it was worth it. Look what the sleeves hid. I´m pretty sure fixing this will make my oil nightmare go away.

OK fellas I know very little about this end of things I have a question or two if I may.

Is this a stock set of 750 cylinders that were bored to fit sleeves for a 900r?

The problem here is the break outs in the cylinder walls and oil was getting behind the sleeves?

Once the sleeves are in place (if it were stock) O-rings would go in the grooves formed by the sleeve and the L-shaped groove?

Forgive the barrage of questions but I have two 750 engines one of which I want to rebuild myself so I've been poking threads pertaining to engine internals and asking questions.

'74 cb 750 K4
'79 CB 650 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 05:45:32 am »
I would use an early cylinder that doesn't have the oil return hole recesses.