Author Topic: What is your favorite exhaust for the CB550?  (Read 24280 times)

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
Re: What is your favorite exhaust for the CB550?
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 08:00:12 am »
Resurrection time.
Could members post sound bites of different systems? This would be great as I'm considering replacing my Motad muffler with something a little meatier.
What parts are needed to mate a cone engineereing muffler to my original Motad headers? The headers are stacked in a 70mm square formation.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 02:33:44 am »
I normally hate loud pipes... On other people's bikes. But on this one it just sounds right.    Carpy's 4;1 ceramic coated pipe has a truly fun, raspy growl to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I recently restored and sold a 77 cb750f, and am nearly finished with a (former basket case) cb750k5.  This is a place to share, learn and enjoy.  I am grateful to and for 99+% of this site's membership.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 03:59:21 am »
the sound fidelity isnt carried well on computers with moblie phone capture etc,they all sound wrong,i think most 4-1 use a too short muffler?i used a straight through resonator for a while,i used a reducer in the outlet to cut the head numbing drone,as good a performance as anything less the looks?dig.
engine revving
anyone want to live next door to me?
heres that same bike a few years on and a couple of engines later with another sound,one open and the same pipe with a wrapped perforated tube straight through,the oval automotive ones are fine,a bit heavy and ugly though,speedway bikes always used them!
open then repacked
with the tube installed it sounds so much more tuned,they run better aswell,open pipes on the street are for dumbarses!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 04:12:39 am by dave500 »

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 08:48:37 am »
I did some mods on mine. You are correct, camera phones don't capture the sound at all. It is much throatier than this sounds.

Modified Motad Honda CB550F
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 09:50:03 am »
I like the Cone megaphone mufflers too.
Here's a 12" meg mounted to a Kerker header.
Sound clip coming real soon, but for a teaser, it sounds deep throaty and muscular.
Can't wait to wind it up to red. :-)

You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 10:40:37 am »
I like that mega Jimmy. The Mac header itself isn't a bad piece. I cut it off at the back of the collector and used one side rail of my swimming pool ladder to make a new mid-pipe and welded on a flange for a GSXR muffler. I'm not going to bring it out of hibernation to fire it up but it sounds like a mini GSXR, good exhaust note.

Offline sourjon

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 11:42:52 am »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 11:52:48 am »
ive always liked that,the factory couldve made it?

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 02:07:37 pm »
ive always liked that,the factory shoud've made it?

+1

That just looks so a "Factory".
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Airbusboy

• Smooth as buttah.....
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 05:40:12 am »
Guys I've been going crazy trying to find a pristine #4 pipe for my '74 CB550 so when you said Honda made another run of these pipes I was REALLY interested! Trouble is, I can't find WHO is selling them!  Was this run done recently?

Offline wowbagger

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 07:03:49 am »
I have to say I like the set of Winning Performance 4-into-1 pipes that came with my 500. They look good, sound good, and I can change the oil without pulling them.

It's alive! 1971 Honda CB500 cafe.

Offline Two-Bit

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2014, 08:47:15 pm »
Here is a link to my nerdy YouTube channel of just motorcycle stuff. I have put several videos of exhaust sound clips. Most of them being 4 into 2 Jardine exhaust. I think that all of the videos were made before I had a tune up, so it isn't running as smooth in the videos as it does now. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk1YoQGnzuvrwI2e7TSjPNA

Personally, I have always liked the look of 2 pipes coming out from either side of the bike. I have always thought that it looked more balanced visually. If I were actually trying to save weight and build a fast cafe racer, I would go for the 4 into 1.

Offline Two-Bit

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 08:55:19 pm »
I like the Cone megaphone mufflers too.
Here's a 12" meg mounted to a Kerker header.
Sound clip coming real soon, but for a teaser, it sounds deep throaty and muscular.
Can't wait to wind it up to red. :-)

This exhaust & bike look really nice. I usually don't like 4 into 1 exhaust, but I like this. It's nice and tidy and just looks like it is supposed to be on it.