Author Topic: Side cover composition  (Read 2956 times)

Offline mick750F

• Expert
Side cover composition
« on: May 09, 2005, 07:15:01 am »
   Does anybody know what kind of plastic the side covers are made of? I've found a company that has repair kits for all types of plastics. Need to know the type so I can get the right product. One of my covers needs a better repair than it has and another needs to be made whole again...it's in three pieces. Thanks...

Mike
'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Side cover composition
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 07:39:54 am »
Mike,

Found this earlier post on this subject, maybe it will help.

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=192.0
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline number13

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 CB500, 2002 VT750DC
    • Sound Exchange
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 10:22:40 am »
I had a lot of luck using PVC cement, the kind used to bond PVC plumbing.
I had a small split and it is now as good as new!!
Bikes parked out front mean good chicken-fried steak inside.

fa fiddy

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 01:53:31 pm »
As the one who started the original thread, perhaps I can offer some feedback on the solution I chose.

What I did was tack together the cracked pieces with a little superglue. Then when that set up, I fiberglassed the whole unit together (from the backside). I used the suerglue first just to sort of hold everything together. You can probably skip that step depending on how adept you are at glassing. I applied the glass on the underside in double layers with a healthy application of resin and it really gave me a rock-solid fix. Then, I used Bondo paste to fill in the cracks on the visible side. I'm still at that stage, but so far it seems to be working just great. Next step will be to sand the front sides with the bondo nice and smooth and then paint them.

Of course I've got a really thick, unsightly, chunky layer of glass and resin on the back side of the covers, but you'll never see it unless you pull them off and turn them around. Might not appeal to the hardcore restorers on the board, but it surely suits this daily-drivin' fool.

BTW Total cost of materials shouldn't be more that $15-$20 US and you'll tons left over to glass whatver else comes along.

Hope this helps!!

Offline mick750F

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 03:08:40 pm »
  Thanks Bob...fa fiddy. I remember the thread but I'd really like to find out what they're made of. I've done the fiberglass backed repair before and haven't been real satisfied with it. I found that you could get it to look good but a little bit of torsional stress would cause the crack to re-appear. I'd like to find the right glue/epoxy/cement for the plastic in order to get a proper bond. I'd probably still back the repair with something...but not the big ratty piece of fiberglass I have now.

Mike 
'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 03:14:46 pm »
I have had good results fixing small cracks.

I use MEK and a piece of old sidecover.

Take a razor blade and shave down a piece of the old plastic. Put the shavings in a litle jar of MEK until they dissolve. Use the resultant paste/MEK to patch the cracks. Stop drill the crack first. Use a small paint brush to spread the paste into the crack.
Stranger in a strange land