luap
25 (24.8%)
timdhawk
28 (27.7%)
Johnie
40 (39.6%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Voting closed: April 30, 2012, 07:50:51 pm

Author Topic: Vote for Bike Of The Month - May 2012  (Read 10278 times)

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Vote for Bike Of The Month - May 2012
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:50:51 pm »
It's Votin' Time!

Nomination Thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104677.0 

Now it is time for your pics and stories.  Spread them out.  It makes this half of the month more interesting.

mikbeanz

luap

timdhawk

Johnie

I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: Vote for Bike Of The Month - May 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:02:07 pm »
We got some really nice bikes again this month. How 'bout some stories, guys.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:24:09 pm »
i found mine at a auction yard  rusted beat an broken, no compression rust in the frame, but 300.00 with a title didnt seem bad so loaded it up an tore it down, hardtail was done by my buddys at built 2 beat fabrication starting up front an working back, 21x3 spooled hub,brass spacers,dna 4under 20' springer used honda stem,made some bars running a 2.2 sporty tank dyna 5ohm coils 7mm wire ngk caps, topend rebuild rings hone lapped valves vesrah gasket kit with dynoman base an head gasket ecb clutch plates an springs new motion pro clutch an throttle cable grandtrismo grips
clean an rebuilt carbs running 40 idle needle clip 4th position 2 turns out uni pk22 pods used some stock headers cut down an lengthed 4in2 drag pipes open wraped in 200ft of 1' dei tan exhaust wrap, made some new mid control foot pegs modified brake/clutch lever kickstart modified kickstand  only single unit regulator rectifier simple wiring harness, seat an pan license plate mount running a 2in1 brake an runner extended brake stay an modified mount gas cap is made from a deLeon tequilla cap http://www.deleontequila.com/blog/2010/12/ running a 19 x 3 rear harley drop center hoop laced to machined  honda hub to allow 6 to 8 guage buchanas spokes 120/70 19 rear /120/70 21 front both metzler  frame an misc parts 2 stage granny smith green, black parts are gloss black PC with OLSol pinstriping
Some super nice bikes posted good luck guys an thanks again for taking my bike into consideration even under the circumstances HEFFEY, lol
Paul
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 06:05:00 am »
Here is my story - Honda CB750K3:
You know how there is always that old Honda in a barn or shed somewhere that you here stories about, but it always eludes you. Your friend tells you about it, but can not produce pics. Finally you buy something else, but this old Honda in a shed somewhere still sticks in the back of your mind. You keep wondering if it is a true story or a hoax. You can never clear it from your mind and you continue to wonder about it. Well, that is my story that played out for 3 years. I heard about this CB750K3 from a friend and it was owned by his brother some 4 hours away. For one reason or another I could not get any movement or pics of the bike. Then I lost close contact with the friend, but would occasionally bug him about it. Then 3 years later I get an E mail from him with pics of the K3 on a trailer saying, "look what I got." His brother asked him to take it out of his garage for some room. The brother had some offers on the bike, but he did not want to see it riding around his hometown. My friend showed him some pics of what I try to do with these bikes bringing them back to OEM and he was all for it. Build date of 10/72 with last license sticker of 1987. One owner candy bucchus olive with 5,310 miles, tool kit, owners manual, title and original sales receipt of $1,579 purchased May 31, 1973. Tank decals are great. No dents. Side covers are perfect with good paint, no scratches, no cracks. This is the cleanest tank interior I have ever seen with no rust. Carb were the worst I have seen. My plan for this bike was a refurbish which was quite different from the other 750's in my collection. I wanted to see how the bike would look if I kept all the original chrome in place and just did a detailed clean, polish, repair and tune. I did have to chrome the gauge bezels as chrome was lifting and add 2 new blinker housings from damage, but the rest is original equipment. Master and caliper were rebuilt and new 341's installed. Seat is very good with no tears and no rust on the pan. I was pleased with how this turned out. So finally a good ending to the phantom K3 that would not leave the recesses of my mind. It is good to see this bike hit the sunshine again. I think this type of barn find comes along once in a lifetime. I hope you find yours too.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:12:17 am by Johnie »
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:19:18 pm »
Some real nice bikes fellas.  I am really liking the chop this month, but all are worthy. 

Offline wedoo2

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:58:10 pm »
I voted.  The bikes this month run the gamut, from chopped to show-room and in between.  Case can be made for each of them.  A great cafe, the green techno chopper with a lot of goodies built in, the sleek black badass and the like-new 750.  This is what makes these old Hondas unique.  Can't imagine my V-star as a cafe bike.
Some days the sun is too loud.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 03:00:44 pm »
Can't imagine my V-star as a cafe bike.

sounds like a challenge!  ;D
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline AbbyRider

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 04:44:54 pm »
Just voted. All nice bikes. And Timdhawk - if they had 'garage floor of the month' I think you'd certainly be in the running.
'98 VTR1000 Superhawk
'78 CB750F
'77 CB750F (in the works)
'81 KZ650 sitting in pieces in my basement

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:59:03 pm »
Just voted. All nice bikes. And Timdhawk - if they had 'garage floor of the month' I think you'd certainly be in the running.

That looks like a flake epoxy floor, i do those for a living.... ;)

Voted
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
Vote for Bike Of The Month - May 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:09:52 pm »
With some imagination, I bet that V Star could be cafe'd.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline timdhawk

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 CB750K
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 08:47:48 am »

Thanks! Its a 2 part epoxy floor. Durable as hell! Its part of my 40th B-day present from my wife (i still had to do all the work). This is what happens when you leave a roller on the floor overnight and this stuff hardens!

I had to use a hammer to break it loose and it took up the concrete with it!

Here's my Story:
I optimistically bought a 1 year project off evil-bay and paid way to much when i did. Here's what it looked like when i got it:

It was the happy medium to satisfy my need to "wrench" things and my wife's need for me not to put is in the poor house with much more expensive "car projects"! I basically knew nothing of CB's when I got it. I had recently only  discovered Carpy's site and CB's seemed to be the Cafe bike format of choice. So I went for the CB! (glad i did) Even though SOHC4 isn't a "cafe" site, I do owe the knowledge behind everything I did to this bike to this forum board! From the very early mock up to a complete engine tear down and rebuild, to the final paint color and a multitude of "how do i tune my cabs" posts came from me posting, reading, searching and learning off this site!

I re-plated 98% of the nuts and bolts myself with a caswell kit:

Did all of the custom fab and electrical:

(okay, truth be told I farmed out the oil pan - i had way to many leaks in mine)

and all the body work and paint:

And i was able to do it all because of all the info and knowledge I gained from being here and bugging all the "old timers"!
So that optimistic 1 year project turned into 4, and I'm still trying to get the carbs fine tuned. But I am able to be out riding around town and nothing has broke or fallen off!
So again, thank you guys for the nomination. even If I don't win BOTM, I'm still honored to have been thought worthy enough for consideration.
Thanks. It means a lot and is very validating!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:28:52 am by timdhawk »
In deeper than I should be...

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 05:58:39 pm »
What's the matter folks, did y'all fall asleep?

The Sound of Crickets - 15 Minutes - Not Looped

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 06:11:54 pm »
You know... that video is titled "Sound of Crickets," but all I hear are Peeper Frogs...
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 06:14:14 pm »
Nope but I do now!

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 10:36:54 am »
People, I think I have a serious problem.......................

I like the one with the BLACK RIMS... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Sam. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 11:32:07 am »
Sam, What a wonderful moment of growth... ;)

Sam. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 11:42:20 am »
I think Sam took this scene from Fringe seriously!

Let's make some LSD

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline mikbeanz

• “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 10:18:53 pm »
Well I found mine on craigslist in pretty bad shape. It didn't start and the tank was rusty inside. I knew nothing about this bike at the time, and had no idea that it would be such a great find. She had been sitting in the PO's garage for over 10 years and his father had converted it into a cafe racer before he died. After inheriting the bike from his father, he never really rode it, and finally decided to clear some space in his garage. even though it wasnt running anymore, i loved the look of it so much that i decided to take a leap of faith. I know a little about cars, and figured that getting this to run again wouldnt be too much trouble for me. So me and my friend  loaded her up in my car and took her home. I had another friend help my with cleaning the carbs, and installing new points. I then cleaned the tank, coated it, put in new plugs, a new battery, and changed the oil. she fires right up after a couple of pushes of the button.

Since then ive synced the carbs, put on new tires, new chain, got new fork seals put in, and a PAMCO electronic ignition with new coils, painted the tank and put on a regulator/rectifier unit.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 06:47:29 pm »

Sam. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

You said you hate black rims.LOL...lol.
Like David Smith the sculptor said,"How long does it take for a monster to become a beauty?"

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 10:56:41 pm »
someone post video for cryin out loud. more pix, etc.  ???
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

Offline MFHP

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 03:04:52 pm »
well, all very nice bikes and all worth of being a BOTM. But as the rules  are, needed to make up my mind. It's done; voted :)

Offline wedoo2

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 05:58:38 pm »
Hope Luap doesn't mind, I was bored and wanted to photoshop his bike.

Some days the sun is too loud.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 06:25:44 pm »
Cool wedoo...can you do that to my stocker???  ;D
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 07:15:18 pm »
Cool wedoo...can you do that to my stocker???  ;D

something slightly psychedelic given the era.

or mod or something. come on baby boomers... help a gen x out!  ;D

(useless trivia: the smiley face was invented in my home state of massachusetts.  :)  )
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 10:26:41 pm »
WEDOO. I like it , send it over to me if you dont mind Luap_dr@yahoo.com ill have my buddy put it up on our little website,
paul
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"