Author Topic: Metal in my oil: Now with pictures.  (Read 2100 times)

Offline sparty

• I just play one on TV
  • Master
  • My engine is 100% stock... wink.
    • Gallery
Metal in my oil: Now with pictures.
« on: June 07, 2006, 05:57:01 pm »
Gentlemen,

I now have a few digital pictures that I'd like to share.  I dropped the oil pan and this is what I found.  I also included a picture of the old oil filter and some of the oil that drained out of the oil filter cover.  By the way, my bike is a 1972 CB750K2

Here we go:
1972 CB750 K2 Cafe' Style

GO AWAY SNOW AND COLD!  Can you see the Hot Rod wants to run...
“That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.”

Offline sparty

• I just play one on TV
  • Master
    • Gallery
Re: Metal in my oil: Now with pictures.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 05:59:47 pm »
Here is the second set of pictures.

Round two:

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 07:27:12 pm »
Does it run? You haven't mentioned if there are any unusual noises around the engine, so it's guessing time...  :-\
There are only a few things in a K2 engine that could come loose like that and stick to a magnet. These would have to be steel or iron pieces, and that list is:

1. The steel plate inside the cam chain slipper tensioner (goes down the front side of the cylinders, wears a lot). This can grind away little pieces over time. The shafts that hold the cam chain's 2 rollers are steel.
2.Rocker arms and shafts are steel.
3. Cam, crankshaft, rods and wrist pins (and their clips) are steel or cast iron.
4. Trans gears, shifter fork and drum are steel.
5. Ball bearings and their races are steel.
6. Mainshaft, countershaft and final drive shaft are steel.
7. The clutch housings and their plates are steel-based. These would be visible from the clutch cover side.

The pieces don't appear to be chain chunks, but you would have heard them by now. The primary tensioner looks in good shape, so those chains are likely OK.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Boomologist

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:15:00 pm »
Those are some large chunks of metal. I would be concerned that some of the finer pieces may have made it into the oil pump and stuck the pressure relief valve open.
Does the starter work properly without any unusual noises?  Sometimes when these engines are badly out of tune the starter will take quite a beating and can shed metal.

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 12:44:43 am »
I found a big chunk when dismantling my engine. The only thing I could think of was a gear or sprocket tooth. Never found what it was, not even a gear dog. Probably somebody before has abused the tranny. I would say clean the mesh filter -looks great in my opinion-, adjust the tension and run the hell out of the bike until it gives up.

Raul

Offline superchode

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 06:12:26 am »
heh. i only wish i had that much metal in my sump... looks like the bottom of a lathe down there.  had a torn oil pump filter to go with it, too.

all one can do, in my opinion, is correct the things which may have caused it, flush it out, put it back together and ride.

Offline sparty

• I just play one on TV
  • Master
    • Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 06:23:02 am »
HondaMan, Boom and Raul,

Thanks for your input… The bike ran fine before I changed the oil.  The starter was/is fine.  It seemed to make the “typical” air cooled noises. There were no rattles, pings, etc. to worry me.  If the cam chain was rubbing the cylinder head wall(s) it didn’t make itself known.  Or, I am just too much of a newbie to notice.

The metal pieces in the bottom of the pan are actually smaller than they appear in the picture, the picture is a bit of an illusion.  Anyway, the PO had a 17 year old son who learned to ride a bike using the CB, I am sure that the tranny gears got some abuse from him, that would explain some of the metal “chunks”.  I also did find a perfectly, but ultra-tiny, round piece of metal like a bearing, but it was only one.  Hmmmm?  
I’ll be taking off the cylinder cover and inspecting the cam chain unit.  I’ll have more pics by the weekend.  From what I am seeing and with your input I suspect that the cam chain is loose, and the PO’s kid may have banged up the tranny, clutch and gears a bit.

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 07:08:42 am »
Dont forget to flush out your oil tank with gasoline (as likely you have some metal in there - even with an oil change).....no point in cleaning out the pump etc and not doing this....

cheers
Andy in Boston
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350