Author Topic: Points Advance Unit & Some Questions  (Read 1173 times)

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
Points Advance Unit & Some Questions
« on: June 08, 2006, 03:10:32 am »
I have just spent 30 minutes cleaning up the points advance unit that sits behind the points plate.

Question: Why ?
Answer: Why not, it was just as filthy as the rest of the bike - and I didn't know how it worked. (shouldn't answer your own questions really)
My Reasoning: It's all part of the "check it" process as the rebuild SSSSLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLYYYYY takes place.

And I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures.

I discovered that the entire unit is covered in a layer of grunge - 30 years of it,, but after a good wash down it looks pretty clean, then I try to rotate the cam, guess what - it won't budge...
Try a screwdriver - jam it in there and lever away... works like that on everything else (you thought I broke it didn't you).

Well it finally moves a few mm - after several choice words and much moving and spraying it now finally is loose enough to move quite freely.. I paid particular attention to the two pivot points - lots of silicon spray, and lots of rusty fluid washed out, flushed it until the fluid was clear.

Question: If this advance unit was completely stuck in place, what effects would it have had on the engines performance?

Question; After cleaning and servicing it hopefully properly, what will I now have to do to - re adjust the timing or check the advance?

thanks for the replies  :)

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Points Advance Unit & Some Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 09:04:21 am »
Question: If this advance unit was completely stuck in place, what effects would it have had on the engines performance?

Was it stuck in the advance position?  Or, the retarded position?
The former would make timing adjustment...interesting.  And/ or starting the bike might be difficult with the engine tryong to run backwards.
The latter would cause lack of developed power above 2-3K RPM.

Question; After cleaning and servicing it hopefully properly, what will I now have to do to - re adjust the timing or check the advance?

Uh... yeah.  That IS why there are slots in the points plate.

Also, if you have taken the point cam off the advance plate, note that it can be assembled in two positions.  One of them is 180 degrees wrong for timing purposes.

Cheers,

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
Re: Points Advance Unit & Some Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 02:21:58 pm »
TT

Both arms of the advance unit were stuck to the centre, there was no outward movement, I presume this is the starting or retarded position.

I did not remove the unit from the cam plate, so it should be OK.

thanks for the reply.