Author Topic: Drastic engine modification. Would it work?  (Read 1595 times)

Boomologist

Drastic engine modification. Would it work?
« on: June 07, 2006, 11:29:00 am »
Hi,
Awhile back when I had a CB750/4 on the bench I had a thought (happens once or twice a year).
If I took an old cam and cut it in two between 2 & 3 cylinders, turned one half of the cam 180 degrese and welded it back together that should cause 1 & 4 to fire at the same time and 2 & 3 the same.
Anyone ever tried something like this?
In theory that set up should double the available raw horse power when starting out  ???
What would it do to the top rpm?
Would there be any benefit to this?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline hcritz

• Hot Shot
Re: Drastic engine modification. Would it work?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 11:44:41 am »
That's a pretty interesting idea...
I think what you would end up with is basically a Big Twin...one big power stroke per revolution as opposed to two smaller ones.
It would probably feel more like a V twin in operation...definitely lose some of the smoothness of an in line four.
I don't think that there would be Any real operational reasons it wouldn't work...but I'm not sure there would be a lot to gain.
Possibly a bit more torque down low...but the basic hp/cc would remain the same...
Bet the clutch/primary chain rattle would be AWFUL!!!

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 11:45:51 am »
that would make it a 4cylinder inline twin  ;D
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 12:04:12 pm »
It's been done!

Two guys on a flattrack racing team in 1972 in Macomb, Illinois did it. I helped them rework the ignition system.
They did it because the pulsing torque digs into dirt better on those tracks then does the smooth power of the 4.

It worked fine, sounded like a 350 twin. I never got to ride it, but they never broke during a race 1972-1974.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 12:18:32 pm »
Big Bang engines used in MotoGP. Was also used when 500cc 2 strokes were used. It improved traction by cutting the number of power pulses from 4 to 2. Easier on the rear tire also.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 03:46:51 pm »
Sounds interesting - might have difficulty welding the cam together perfectly aligned though - might be easier to build up and grind the lobes into correct position.  I'm no metal worker, so I'm talking out my arse, but off the cuff keeping the cam in perfect alignment would seem near impossible welding it together.

I say go all the way and rework the crankshaft, cam and ignition to make it a giant thumper  :o
Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Rick4004

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 03:18:39 pm »
Apparently this firing order is hell on camchains. Most engines using it are have gear driven cams. The big power pulses (like a twin) combined with light flywheels (not like a twin), really get the cam chain accelerating and decelerating leading to premature failure.

Rick

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 07:04:25 pm »
Apparently this firing order is hell on camchains. Most engines using it are have gear driven cams. The big power pulses (like a twin) combined with light flywheels (not like a twin), really get the cam chain accelerating and decelerating leading to premature failure.

Rick
That is true. Just the redline of GP engines mandate gears let along firing order. I remeber seeing Muzzy's ZX-7 with the gear conversion. You should see a Muzzy Raptor(real race product)...the cam gears, clutch basket and shift drum are real works of art.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Jay B

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 07:16:29 pm »
The whole drivetrain would take more abuse. Instead of transmitting 2 small power pulses per revolution, it would have to handle pulses twice as big, half as often. More stress on the primary chain, clutch and gears.

Some tuners did basically this with the HD XR750's on certain tracks, they were known as "twingles" because the two jugs fired 45 degrees apart on the same revolution. Like Hondaman said, more time for the tire to dig in and grip.
Jay
'77 CB550K
'74 CB350F cafe
2001 Road King
'73 CB175