Author Topic: Swingarm Bush Help/Advice  (Read 1258 times)

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
Swingarm Bush Help/Advice
« on: April 25, 2012, 01:26:32 am »
I'm pretty sure this has been covered but I can't find it anywhere, the google search just isn't as good as the other one.  My 650 needs new swingarm bushes, I am planning on spinning some up on the lathe at work, to start with I'm planning on using oilite bronze, if there is a better grade to use please let me know, secondly I'm pretty certain I saw somewhere on here about modifying the pivot bolt on the later model to have a grease nipple in each end instead of the origional one in the centre of the swing arm, is this a bad idea?  Will it weaken the bolt too much?  I checked the swingarm bushes when I last had the swingarm off about 6000km ago and they were perfect, the right bush now has a substantial amount of slop in it, it ducks and dives something fierce in a reasonably hard right hand turn, and I have been giving it a squirt of grease every second tank of fuel, so it hasn't failed due to lack of maintenance.  Also lastly does anyone have the dimensions of the original bushes?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:27:14 am by trueblue »
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
Re: Swingarm Bush Help/Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:44:36 am »
Bump
1979 CB650Z

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:20:48 am »
I would PM Hondaman.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:26:30 am »
The bushing "stats" for stock ones are:
Length: 1.750"
ID: +.0008" to 0.0012" over the collar OD
OD: Varies a little because of arm distortions, so you must measure your existing arm before starting. The arms are often "coned" toward the outside by as much as 0.0020" (the 550 is the worst at this), so you may have to taper the bushing OD to fit it right.

If you use Oilite, make the interference fit 0.0004" to 0.0008". Any more than this will compress the metal on insertion, and you'll then have to hone the ID after installation. It can be done, just takes patience.

If you will grease more often than most, you can also use SAE660 bearing bronze, which turns easier and is harder. But, you MUST grease on the 3000 mile intervals with this, or it can wear the collar quite a bit.

If the collar's bearing surfaces are worn oval more than 0.0010", get (or make) a new collar. If the gouges in its surface comprise more than 93% of the surface area, you will need a new one or the bushing life will be short as the gouges tear up the bronze and grind the rest of it away.

After this "rush" dies down, I plan on getting some 650 collars made. Honda has quit them. I have done this with the 350F/400F already, since Honda quit those some years back, too. If they stop with the 750/500/550 collars, I'll start making those, too.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:48:47 am »
I suppose you use a reamer to finish the bushing hole, right?

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:32:02 pm »
Thankyou very much Hondaman, to be honest I have been greasing the bushes every 500 or so miles, sometimes even less miles in between greasings, and it has still worn out one bush in less than 5000miles, ATM it has the one grease nipple in the centre of the swingarm, would it be feasable to put a grease nipple into each end of the bolt to get the grease directly into the bush, rather than just hoping it gets through both bushes, or would this weaken the bolt too much?
1979 CB650Z

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »
I suppose you use a reamer to finish the bushing hole, right?
I used to: now I just cut them to the proper finished size, as I got better ID bore measuring tools over the years. 841 bronze does not like to be shrunk much during press-in, so keeping it within 0.0005" of the final size works out well. That's only about 15 minutes of honing, if it goes wrong... :/
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 11:41:00 am »
Thank you, I am always interested in real life experience knowhow :)