Author Topic: 1978K Resto-mod "HaCkJoB"  (Read 23520 times)

Offline Mtmooradian

• Hot Shot
1978K Resto-mod "HaCkJoB"
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 05:23:57 am »
I can make you an axle if you want.
I also have an Ohlins rear shock that would be perfect for your build.(if my next project doesn't need it.)

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
Re: 1978K Resto-mod "HaCkJoB"
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 12:50:06 pm »
Seriously!? That would be so much help. I keep getting the word "liability "everywhere I go. Dude, Ive offered to sign waivers and everything. If you have time to do it that would be great. Just let me know when you can get to it and what you need from me. Thanks so much!
The darn fool didn't know it couldn't be done...so he went ahead and did it anyway.

My Hackjob build- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=106103.0

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 09:20:54 pm »
I got a few things done over the weekend. I got all my electrics fitted under the tank. It is a bit cozy under there now,but it all fit.Rectifier,regulator,starter solenoid and the diode. Fuse block will definitely end up in a more accessible spot!I totally molested my stock battery tray for the tabs. I wanted all original style mounting tabs and was just too lazy to sit and fab them up so...

SANY0019 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0017 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

Got the tank finished mounted and ran into a clearance issue with the slides at WOT. I went a little caveman with a ball peen and it all worked out OK :-[I am not much for these type of fixes,but it will never show and it will get smoothed out before final paint.Still,I'm almost ashamed to post this pic :)

SANY0010 (2) by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Opinion time. I shot some satin black to help with visualizing.Glad I did as I'm not real keen on it like I thought I would. I'll probably end up going with a real dark,almost black,shade of grey now. But I am undecided on a few things:Should I run a side cover or not? Should I black out the forks and swing arm,or not?Solid black wheels,leave the rim silver or leave the rim and the spokes silver? What do you think? Opinions please!

SANY0026 (2) by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0031 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0030 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0031 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0033 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0034 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0039 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0040 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0041 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0042 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
The darn fool didn't know it couldn't be done...so he went ahead and did it anyway.

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 09:11:14 pm »
My tail light assy showed up today

hj tailite by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CUSTOM-MOTORCYCLE-LED-BRAKE-TAIL-LIGHT-WITH-TURN-SIGNALS-BLINKERS-INTEGRATED-/150839331336?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231eb98a08&vxp=mtr
The supplied bracket is very beefy and powder coated. I tried to not wreck the powder coating,and just use the bracket as-is.But......

....it just looked awful.Way too cluttered

SANY0044 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

Plan B...

SANY0045 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Much better! I know.It's hanging crooked :-[The bolts are loose ;)

SANY0047 (2) by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Finally got all of the rear frame work finished up. It looks like a jungle gym,but it is actually built very light weight...still looks like a jungle gym ;D

SANY0051 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:20:26 pm by shinyribs »

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 10:07:51 pm »
Ok.This is super rough. After seeing the bike blacked out I was not happy with it AT ALL. I want this bike to have a sort of classic look to it.'Cuda billboards??? Im thinking stick with a silver engine. Silver paint with dark green blocks/gold edging.Try to imagine metallic on this. I am not very good with windows paint at all,but hopefully you get what I'm (poorly) shooting for. Oh,that blob on the side cover? Yeah...thats supposed to be a wing.Yeah... ::)

hackjob-green blocks by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 09:17:38 pm »
I got my axle ears on the s-arm enlarged tonight.The stock ZX axle is 17mm and you all know these CB's use a 20mm. If you have ever replaced the rear wheel bearings on one of the bikes,and have seen that spacer tube in there,then you know why it is easier to convert the s-arm to 200 rather than swap to a bunch of crazy bearings and seals.

I have a cross slide vise on my drill press.That used with a $10 carbide burr bit is what I call my hillbilly mill ;)

PART_1340248215484 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
I painted each ear with black paint and then used the axle adjusters to scribe where I needed to trim. I trimmed all of the material off the bottom of the ear. That way if I did screw up there would be a factory reference point for the repair :-[Also,this way the upper portion of the ear which holds all of the weight is not weakened any.

PART_1340248307170 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Action shot!

PART_1340248335481 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
The axle fits nice and snug.Tighter than it did in the CB s-arm. Here you can see it fits tight enough that it is hanging in the ear,not resting on the table.

PART_1340248257741 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Getting closer all the time...

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 10:38:22 pm »
Found me an axle! 2009 Triumph Daytona. Length is spot on what I need.$16 shipped off the bay ;) Strange little guy.Hollow and light as a feather....worked for the Triumph so I guess it'll work for me ;D

PART_1341000312995 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

PART_1340999802168 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

Starting in on exhaust now

SANY0038 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

Picked up a few more cheap parts.Got these clutch and brake assy's for less than the fancy levers cost! I really dig these levers with the adjustable  pivots,too.Real nice.

zx6 clutch by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

zx6 brake by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
If these dont work out for me at least a got a cheap start towards a set of rear sets for the Cafe ;)

zx6 calipers by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 04:27:47 am »

SANY0040 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

Alright, I'll start by saying that LOVE what you are doing! The bike is looking great. BUT, I would suggest not masking the little triangle area under the seat. I like seeing that open space. It looks way nicer open than it does closed up. Although, it would be a nice area for an oil tank, too...

Keep up the great work!!
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:44 pm »
Thanks for the kind words. You know,things never go like you want :-[ I agree with you on the triangle area,but I ran out of room. The battery will end up there so there will end up being a side cover there to hide it. I hate that,but it's a necessary evil. I couldn't fit an oil tank under the gas tank big enough to hold all the oil,so there will be one oil tank under the gas tank and another in the area of the frame right above the tranny. Not exactly what I wanted to do,but space constraints kicked my grand ideas out the window...once again!

Offline 65Ch3v3LL3

• Enthusiast
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 01:53:40 am »
Have you thought about running one of the small light weight Li batteries and mounting it under the swing arm pivot area? I've see it done before and it would keep your triangle area open. Also you could put the oil tank in the tail section.  It would keep the frame a bit cleaner.

1979 CB650
2011 Harley Road King
2008 Harley V-Rod VRSC DX
2012 Sierra Denali 2500HD
1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
1922 Ford T-Model

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 10:06:33 am »
I'm always open for suggestions. :) When you say under the swing arm pivot area,do you mean like off the bottom of the swing arm,or under the tranny? I dont think I have any room under the bike for one,but i could be completely misunderstanding you. I could go full kick start and put a battery in the starter cavity.Very tempted to go there.

Offline Mtmooradian

• Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 09:16:36 am »
Have you thought about running one of the small light weight Li batteries and mounting it under the swing arm pivot area? I've see it done before and it would keep your triangle area open. Also you could put the oil tank in the tail section.  It would keep the frame a bit cleaner.
I'm running the small battery, very easy to hide, also that swingarm is pretty easy to make into an oil tank. Buy and extra and have someone convert it.

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 10:30:14 am »
I cant mount an oil tank under the arm like yours,the dog bones for the mono shock are under there. I measured the arm to see about running the oil in there and it would barely hold 1 qt,so thats out. Thank you for the ideas,though.I am interested in your battery.Where is it mounted?

Offline 65Ch3v3LL3

• Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 10:58:36 am »
I'm always open for suggestions. :) When you say under the swing arm pivot area,do you mean like off the bottom of the swing arm,or under the tranny? I dont think I have any room under the bike for one,but i could be completely misunderstanding you. I could go full kick start and put a battery in the starter cavity.Very tempted to go there.

I was talking about making a bracket to put it underneath the forward portion of the swingarm.
1979 CB650
2011 Harley Road King
2008 Harley V-Rod VRSC DX
2012 Sierra Denali 2500HD
1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
1922 Ford T-Model

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 11:25:51 am »
As far as the swingarm oil tank goes look at the hondacuati( i know i spelled that wrong) lmao.. if you get one of the lithion batteries you could easily mount your elctronics in your tail section.  I read a thread today about the small batteries if i can remeber ill post the threads name later.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 09:02:45 pm »
Are the li-ion batteries pretty light? I would like to keep the triangle open if at all possible,but since these bikes are so top heavy as it is,I was trying to keep the weight as low as possible in the chassis.

65chevelle- I gotcha now :) I'll see what I can fit under there. Thanks for the input!

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 09:07:29 pm »
Here is the area under the swing arm.Not much room left :(

SANY0070 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
And my shock goes right thru where the oil tank is on the honducati

SANY0065 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0056 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:11:29 pm by shinyribs »

Offline Mtmooradian

• Hot Shot
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 11:01:39 am »

I put everything under the tail, rectifier is under the alum tray.

Offline Mtmooradian

• Hot Shot
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 11:06:25 am »
You could make an under seat/tail tank.... Or put it under/inside the tank.

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 11:12:30 am »
Looking great search the lith. Ion batteries i think you'll be impressed If post i link but im about to walk-in out the door for work. Ii think the latest thread name wass called" what is the smallest battery i can put in my cb750"  if thats not it exactly it will be close it has links and tech info in it good luck
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 11:17:45 am »
What is the smallest battery i can runon my cb750.   

That was the correct name.
Hope it helps you out
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline Mtmooradian

• Hot Shot
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 07:10:26 pm »
For kick only? Or do you want electric start?

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 08:30:01 pm »
Gurp- Thank you for the link :) I may end up with a li-ion battery. My main concern with a battery if making a mount for a readily available size.Now,and in the future. As long I can get the same size battery 10 years from now,I'm game.

Mtmooradian- I would prefer to keep the electric start option,but I'm not dead set on it.

I am working on one of the two oil tanks right now. One oil tank will go under the fuel tank. The other will go in the small triangle area between the monoshock upper mount and where the original frame cradle tubes are. I know it seems very small,but IF my math is right the lower tank will hold right at 58 oz. completely full. The upper tank will hold 72 oz. completely full. That should give me stock oil capacity with plenty of room for expansion and slosh. The upper tank will run only about half full actually which should allow me plenty of air space in that tank for venting purposes without worrying about it puking oil out of the vent...at least thats the plan ;)

Going to study li-ion batteries now....

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2012, 08:14:51 am »
Well,I'm finally back on this project. I went to the swap meet at barber last weekend and picked up this '02 750 GXSR front end. After modifying a Cb stem to go in the GXSR lower clamp I have a my front end now. Finally,I'll own a CB with great breaks!!!!

A side by side comparison of the two lower clamps.Man,what a difference!

SANY0042 (3) by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

The CB stem modified to fit the GXSR lower.You have to build up the lower register on the CB stem and then turn it back down to size.It press fits in the lower just like on a CB,but the GXSR's use a stop lip to prevent pull through vs how the CB's are welded on so you need to incorporate in as well.

SANY0059 (2) by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
I have started in on a couple different exhausts's.Neither really suit me,but I think the second set will tuck away a little better. I'm thinking an up swept muffler on each side....not sure really.I will most likely be using the Guzzi mufflers. I like the color of the finish on them and the style of the end caps. They are waaaay too long and the pair of them is over 20 lbs!!! So they are in line to be gutted and cut down

SANY0102 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
First set of pipes-

SANY0038 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Second set of pipes.

PART_1344225741987 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

PART_1344225773184 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

PART_1344225800387 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

PART_1344226022016 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
I got some work done on the oil tank. It hides nicely, I think. I still need to work out the details for a filler cap and a way to check the oil level.I am also going to be running another small oil tank under the right side of the gas tank. I need if for expansion and breathing. This one will hold the factory amount of oil,but it does now enough room to breathe. I'm planning on working out something up around the steering neck for an oil fill location and I think a sight glass would be a cool trick for checking oil level.

PART_1343275334056 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Battery ended up under the seat. I'm not happy with this,I really wanted the weight lower,but there just was nowhere to put it down low. Oh well,the side cover will still hide it

SANY0041 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Here you can see the oil tank under/in front of that battery. Tucks in nice I think. It also makes a nice little splash shield to separate the engine from the back tire.

PART_1343275414318 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Now I just gotta decide what to do on wheels. I already have to rear sorted out to run the Comstar. With the new front end it would so easy just to get the correct wheel and bolt it on,but I don't want that little 17'' tire on the front of this bike. On one hand I'd like to run the Comstars to help identify the bike as a CB a little better,but these are pretty dang heavy wheels. Any suggestion? Alright,later guys

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2012, 08:21:52 am »
Here is the front end on the bike. I also picked up this fender at the swap meet. I'm not sure what it came off of,but i dig the little wing on the back. Right now I am at $701 spent on this bike.

SANY0064 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0067 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0068 (2) by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr