Author Topic: timing...problem setting points. (SOLVED)  (Read 10141 times)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: timing...problem setting points.
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 06:20:09 pm »
KeithB,
    Does the Dyna have an extended warranty ? the HM ignition has a 5 year warranty.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline KeithB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 05:16:16 am »
The Dyna DS1-2 just replaces the points and doesn't carry a 5 year warranty. However, it's a very simple crank sensor system and not much to go wrong.
I  know there is some opinions about how well it works at high RPM but I installed one on another CB750 and it worked great.
The HM system uses some electronics and probably works very well to high RPM, and the warranty is very generous.
But still...gotta fiddle with the points.
I'm of 2 minds in that now I have the points figured out, maybe it's not so bad and I'll just stick with them and not spend the $$.
However, other times I have done something like that, it has come back to bite me in the ass and I wished I had just spent the money and dealt with it.
Nanahan Man

Offline lrutt

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 05:26:21 am »
Secret handshake! LoL!
Too many hands to shake...still gonna by a  Dyna.
Value of money spent is relative...and it's relatively certain I ain't doing points again :)
BTW..I did take the points off and see what play there was in the plate. Nada.

Good thing you don't own an old brit bike then. Both my old Triumphs, my Norton, my Guzzi, my 305 Dream, and both my 750 SOHC's all run points. I will never convert.

My son was of the same opinion. He was determined to get rid of his points on his 550 against my advice. He did, fought that EI POS for a long time before putting points back in and having a fine running bike. Still doesn't want to admint the old man knew better.
06 Harley Sporster 1200C, 06 Triumph Scrambler, 01 Ducati Chromo 900, 01 Honda XR650L, 94 Harley Heritage, 88 Honda Hawk GT, 84 Yamaha Virago 1000, 78 Honda 750K w/sidecar, 77 Moto Guzzi Lemans 850, 76 Honda CB750K, 73 Norton 850, 73 Honda Z50, 70 & 65 Honda Trail 90, 70 & 71 Triumph 650s, 65 Honda 305 Dream, 81 Honda 70 Passport, 70 Suzuki T250II, 71 Yamaha 360 RT1B, 77 BMW R75/7, 75 Honda CB550K, 70 Honda CT70

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 06:17:17 am »
The write up on the HondaMan ignition is true.

Offline KeithB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 04:49:03 am »
While I understand the operation of the HM ignition and have no doubt that it works just fine, using one would just add more parts than reduce.
Somewhere down the road in another 10 years ,I or the next owner, might have to deal with an electronic failure.
Just to clarify, what I am installing is not an electronic ignition but a replacement for the points only, that uses magnetic actuated switches.
While it is called an "electronic" ignition, it is actually a "passive" device.
I installed a Dyna DS1-2 on another CB750 and it worked just fine. Timed easily, stayed timed and removed the points.
7 bikes with points! Your Kung Fu is better than mine!
My other 3 bikes are pointless (joke?) as they have stock electronic ignitions, and I'm keen to make this one similar.
In the end I did come out of this knowing how to properly set CB 750 points and that's a good thing to learn.

BTW...kids will never admit the old man was right  :)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:01:18 am by KeithB »
Nanahan Man

Offline Bootlegger56

• Butch
  • Hot Shot
  • Nuthin' taps ya out quicker than cole corn likker!
Re: timing...problem setting points. (SOLVED)
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 10:45:12 am »
I kinda like setting points and timing on these bikes.  Its almost as good as meditation and my anger management coach Dr. Worm tells me she has seen noticeable improvement since I started playing with my "Honda Toy!"
Ya can travel near or ya can travel far; but no matter where ya go thar ya are!

750 K5
550 K1

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 12:59:10 pm »
I installed a Dyna DS1-2 on another CB750 and it worked just fine. Timed easily, stayed timed and removed the points.
I almost fell prey to the Dyna sales hype, but I was able to resist the dark side back in the 80s, and avoided that barely adequate product.
After I saw the Hondaman analysis of the Dyna-s operation, I really felt proud of myself for such personal fortitude.   ;D

You see, with original points/points cam, the coils are only allotted power for 190 degrees of crankshaft rotation, while the Dyna-S drives coil power for 330 degrees of crank rotation.
So, for whatever coil you use, the Dyna forces 57% more power to be used by the ignition system.
The CB750's 210 watt alternator usually has this to spare, along with a 14AH battery, and can cope with adding a piggy electrical component or two. 
The CB350F, CB400F, CB500, and CB550 only have, 150 watt alternators and 12AH batteries.  The added power draw places them much closer to the edge of acceptability, and demand that the entire charging and electrical system be working at max efficiency.

Did I mention the coils will run hotter, fail sooner when dissipating those extra watts, particularly in hotter climes?
Did I mention that the spark voltage/current will be exactly the same as with points, unless you increase the spark plug gap?

Still, some feel the "convenience" of not utilizing knowledge and the small effort to maintain points is worth paying for a poorly engineered product.
Don't feel bad about buying or owning a Dyna-s, though.  You're in the same company as those many buyers of Pintos and Corvairs attracted by that "new" and "modern" smell.  /jk  ;D

In case you are wondering, yes, I do have a grudge against Dyna !  As I do against any poorly engineered product made popular by clever advertising, and mythical folklore, rather than bona-fide technical merit.
It's actually rather a pity, as they got the reluctor trigger portion of it right, then stopped the electrical engineering to make sales a priority, and cash in on half the work they did right.

But, that's just my opinion, of course.  ;D

Cheers,   ;D ;D
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 03:28:23 pm »
I kinda like setting points and timing on these bikes.  Its almost as good as meditation and my anger management coach Dr. Worm tells me she has seen noticeable improvement since I started playing with my "Honda Toy!"
I'm considering going to see Dr.Buddy Rydell for Anger Management..,if he's good enough for Adam Sandler,he "may" help me enjoy life a bit more also  ;D ;D
But please don't quote me on this... ::).

Edit: no disrespect intended Bootlegger...I just couldn't help it;That movie had me in stitches for hours LOL  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:29:47 pm by grcamna2 »

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 06:25:16 pm »
My Dyna is in the trash as are many others, while they have little to fail, what little they do have fails.
I went PAMCO. I have fiddled with points all my life. I will spend what is left of it not laying on the floor gapping and timing.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline KeithB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 04:44:23 am »
It's interesting that the trigger has worked well in the other CB 750 and has worked for quite a few years in my buddys CB750 but I guess time will tell.
 I suppose I will just have to wait and see if I have made a bad decision as it is mine to make. I promise not to come back and complain ;)
While trying to keep the '72 CB750 as stock and period correct as possible, the points just beat me down!
" I will spend what is left of it not laying on the floor gapping and timing." My sentiments exactly.
If I do another CB 750 project, I will certainly look into HM or PAMCO products.

BTW...TwoTired...I have read a number of your posts and respect how you back up your POV with a detailed technical argument instead of trotting out bull #$%*.
However, making personal comments about your contempt for people (that would include me) that purchase this product does nothing to support your technical POV and are unwelcomed.(at least by me)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:12:33 am by KeithB »
Nanahan Man

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 06:18:02 pm »
Keith, you may not have made a bad decision. Dynas were bullet proof for a long time and then supposedly made some changes and they ran into problems. The new ones may have it sorted out and you will have no problems.

Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?