Author Topic: For people that say velocity stacks are bad for your engine....  (Read 44765 times)

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
Re: For people that say velocity stacks are bad for your engine....
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 02:41:31 pm »
To me this is far worse than the little bit of dust/dirt that may get sucked up into the velocity stacks and largely burnt up/blown back out.

Velocity stacks it is!

Do with your engine what you want but what I'm confused about is what exactly is the point you're trying to make? Sounds to me you're like you're taking a bad situation and making it worse and somehow saying it's OK to make it worse because it's a bad situation already. The oil in the crankcase already has it's hands full but compounding that problem by allowing unfiltered air into the equation doesn't help nor makes it OK. I don't think anybody here has said "don't use velocity stacks" instead I think what's being said is sure go ahead and run stacks just make sure you're aware that you may be tearing that engine down again sooner than expected because of it that's all.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline SOHC Digger

• I'm not an
  • Expert
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 03:02:49 pm »
Exactly.  You can run stacks.  I get the cool factor.  They look racey and vintage.  If I had an engine that I was planning on tearing down for an 836 kit and some head-work when it took a crap, I might run stacks until that time came.  On a good running engine though, that I want to keep running well, I wouldn't run stacks.

Offline camelman

• Man... Myth... Legend
  • Master
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 05:50:03 pm »
Check out PJMotorsports. They have stacks with multi stage filters. They claim filtration capability that should keep your engine healthy.

1972 350f rider: sold
1972 350f/466f cafe: for sale
1977 CB400f cafe:sold
1975 CB400f rider: sold
1970 CB750 K0 complete bike: sold
2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 rider

We've got to cut it off... and then come down on rockets.  (quoted from: seven minutes of terror)

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 06:32:56 pm »
I would say I feel that the anti stack opinions are from people who have believed the disinformation planted by:
FRAM
K&N
Purolator
Emgo

And other members of the fiber media cartel. These masterminds have convinced people that air is not only dirty, but they fail to mention that the air that comes in is quickly blown out the back through the exhaust. It does not hang around. The oil on the other hand is trapped, it goes around and around until someone let's it out.

Don;t be fooled by these crafty fiber mongers.   
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline wedoo2

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 06:47:35 pm »

Don;t be fooled by these crafty fiber mongers.

OMG that is funny.  You forgot to mention Mr. Coffee filters Bobby.
Some days the sun is too loud.

Offline killersoundz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 06:59:20 pm »
yeah yeah yeah ok I'll either go with the velocity stacks with filters on them or pods
My project thread:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=107447.0

My CB750K4 Starting up for the first time after a seized motor and rebuild!

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 08:14:07 pm »
 I was surprised how long my 836 lasted what with running on the dirt ovaL without aircleaners, on  the street for year.. the only downside.. took a lot longer to wear out  thanm everyone told me it would..

From real experience, I gotta say.. its really not as bad as some of you make it out tgo be,, but that is just me in the Okanagan Valley...your mileage..egine life may vary...

Now I am asking you guys and I want you to be HONEST here;
 How many of you guys have REAL experience with open carbs, and i MEAN THOUSANDS of mile.. ??
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 08:24:15 pm »
  UMMM we get less rain than the Sahara desert in this town.. true fact...
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 08:28:06 pm »

Sounds like a trick question.....I'd bet you get more snow!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline SOHC Digger

• I'm not an
  • Expert
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 08:30:47 pm »
 How many of you guys have REAL experience with open carbs, and i MEAN THOUSANDS of mile.. ??

The only experience I have is what I stated earlier from working on semi-trucks.  We had a fleet of trucks and the drivers had taken up the habit of removing their air filters and knocking the dust out of them before they started their day.  This distorted the filter seals and within a month, we had red oil labs showing the rings were failing.  I ran across a few other scenarios with engines getting "dusted", as we called it, and I would not put my bikes through this.  Now I don't have any experience with CB750's getting roasted, but I wouldn't take the chance based on what I've seen with diesel engines.  Just my two cents.  Do what thou wilt.

Online CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 08:31:11 pm »

Actually, you get about 9 inches more on average. :)

(I'm from Tacoma, Wa. and contrary to popular belief it doesn't rain all the time in the northwest. Austin, Tx usually averages more!)

Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 08:33:16 pm »
I wouldn't dare pick sides here,I'm not informed enough. But regarding clutch debris in the engine:isn't it basically just cork? I have never had the clutch apart on my CB750 *fingers crossed*so I really dont know what it is made out of,but the few bike clutches I have seen,the friction area is basically cork. Very soft material actually.It's a wonder to me that  it holds up at all,but i would have to say that bits of cork floating around in an engine would do very little damage.

Like I said-I really dont know what I'm talking about....
The darn fool didn't know it couldn't be done...so he went ahead and did it anyway.

My Hackjob build- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=106103.0

Offline shinyribs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 08:34:38 pm »
I wouldn't dare pick sides here,I'm not informed enough. But regarding clutch debris in the engine:isn't it basically just cork? I have never had the clutch apart on my CB750 *fingers crossed*so I really dont know what it is made out of,but the few bike clutches I have seen,the friction area is basically cork. Very soft material actually.It's a wonder to me that  it holds up at all,but i would have to say that bits of cork floating around in an engine would do very little damage.

Like I said-I really dont know what I'm talking about....
The darn fool didn't know it couldn't be done...so he went ahead and did it anyway.

My Hackjob build- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=106103.0

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 08:36:51 pm »
 Total precip here is less than the Sahara.. we get about 15-16 inches, they get around 18 ish.. we are semi-arid here.. there is cactus a mile from my shop.. we can go 5-6 weeks without rain in the summer, get an hour or two of rain, and then none for another 3 weeks.. its the warmest part of Canada..
 I missed less than 40 days riding in the last 3 winters...... not saying I didnt have a few rides that were not as we say.."puckering"...
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 08:37:25 pm »
I have always run UNI type foam filters clamped over my stacks. Believe me, you need filters in the desert south-west! The attached pic is a small portion of the sand I flushed out of my filters after picking up Lefty (aka Godzilla V 2.0) in Joshua Tree. Mooshie, have your checked your filter???
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 08:40:50 pm »
 I am by no means saying that open carbs will not cause accellerated wear,
 just saying that because of the general fear around it.. causes people .to think it is far worse than it actually .. this is from actual experience..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Leanier

• Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 08:42:35 pm »
The oil system has a filter, and a screen.  How would you compare that to not needing a filter on the intake system?
My motorcycle collection thus far:
'74 CB360
'73 CB750
'72 CB125s
'68 CA160

Offline SOHC Digger

• I'm not an
  • Expert
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 08:47:38 pm »
Damn did we kick the hornet's nest on this one!!!  This is worse than an oil thread!!!

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2012, 08:48:47 pm »
I am by no means saying that open carbs will not cause accellerated wear,
 just saying that because of the general fear around it.. causes people .to think it is far worse than it actually .. this is from actual experience..
I'm just pointing out that stacks, with proper air filters, are not bad for the engine.  ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2012, 08:53:22 pm »
 I got to print a retraction Sorri I was Wrong,,
 Parts of the Sahara (around 1/2 of it)get less than 100mm, some parts as low as 20mm.. we get about 366mm average.. which is a lot more than the Sahara.. but wwwwaaaaaayuyyyyy less than most places.

We get around 15 inches, Seattle gets around 52!!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:05:17 pm by 754 »
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline SOHC Digger

• I'm not an
  • Expert
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2012, 08:59:14 pm »
OK, I would like to broker a peace treaty.  Let us all agree on this truth:  Engines operating without any type of intake filter will deteriorate at a faster rate than an engine with an intake filter.  This rate is dependent on several variables, possibly including climate, and is unable to be calculated.

All other opinions should be cast aside for the greater good of the SOHC Forum.

Agreed?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:39:32 am by SOHC Digger »

Online CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2012, 08:59:47 pm »
I got to print a retraction Sorri I was Wrong,,
 Parts of the Sahara (around 1/2 of it)get less than 100mm, some parts as low as 20mm.. we get about 366mm average.. which is a lot more than the Sahara.. but wwwwaaaaaayuyyyyy less than most places

I'll debate you on the weather, but I wouldn't dare on bike stuff!  ;) :)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline andrewk

• doin' it.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2012, 10:30:10 pm »
I was surprised how long my 836 lasted what with running on the dirt ovaL without aircleaners, on  the street for year.. the only downside.. took a lot longer to wear out  thanm everyone told me it would..

From real experience, I gotta say.. its really not as bad as some of you make it out tgo be,, but that is just me in the Okanagan Valley...your mileage..egine life may vary...

I was a small engine tech for 10 years, and while not the same operating conditions as a motorcycle, I've seen my fair share of what hours upon hours of use without an air filter will do to an engine- you can follow the dirt trail right down the intake tract.

More to this subject though, I ran my 454 Kawasaki without filters (still had the airbox) for probably 8000 miles.  I didn't notice a ton of wear but my slides showed evidence of wear on the edges where air would be moving past.

I agree with your point though, it's not like its going to run for a week and be junk, but it's the difference between an engine lasting 30k and 15k.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2012, 10:32:36 pm »
Airborne dust as seen under a microscope.

Makes you want to take a deep breath, eh?
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2012, 02:06:34 am »
yeah yeah yeah ok I'll either go with the velocity stacks with filters on them or pods

It's your bike and your $ that you're spending so do it however you want it and forget what we think. Your bike wouldn't be any less or more cool to any of us if you ran stacks or not. I actually think velocity stacks are cool however they aren't practical for my bike but just because I wouldn't choose to use them doesn't mean I'd be bashing you because you did choose to use them. When I put my 550 together my top priority was putting it together they way I wanted it and to please me not someone else. The only way someone elses opinion would sway mine is if that person was paying the bill for it.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate