Author Topic: POLL: Why do YOU own/keep your Hondamatic?  (Read 29373 times)

Offline stinkfinger

• Dirtbiker at heart
Re: POLL: Why do YOU own/keep your Hondamatic?
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 10:50:10 am »
I got mine from the in-laws in WV. The father(owner) had passed away in the 80's
and the bke had been parked in the garage ever since. It got buried by boxes over the years
and approx 10 yrs ago the mother had started offering me the bike for free. The garage was so
stuffed with junk, I couldnt even get back to the bike to see what it was, or what condition it was
in. All you could see was some old handlebars sticking up thru boxes/debris, so I turned down the generous
offers for a decade. Finally, the garage got cleared out and you could see what it was. It was complete,
had 7k miles, and had not moved an inch in 30 yrs. Now, Ive grown accustomed to the old girl as its been
stone reliable, just needing to be brought back to life, and all that that entails. The wife loves it too,
and will spend more hours in the saddle with lil complaint, more so than any other bikes weve had.
I think you have to ride a classic bike for a while, to realize the true benefits of a big flat seat and a neutral
riding position.  Sometimes a ford just works better for you than a ferrari.

Tony
Dualsports are an all access
back-stage pass to nature.

Offline shortbloke

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 06:01:18 am »
I have a hondamatic because I`ve been riding since `76. last 2 were a z100a4 and a bsa a10. smashed my left wrist and refused to stop biking. Saw a 400a and then a 750a tucked around the back at Oxford classics. No contest. riding became fun again

Offline BIKE

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 07:14:11 pm »
I'm 39 and have always like the Hondamatics. I don't know exactly why.
This evening I picked up my first. Adding it to my '75 CB750 K5.

It's easy to ride and powerful enough.
1975 CB750 K5
1977 CB750A

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 03:36:17 am »
I just rebuilt my neighbors hondamatic and now I wish it was mine.  Huge vetter ferring and all.  My only problem is that idle compensation diaphragm. 

Offline jukku

• Enthusiast
  • Happy with my Hondamatic
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 06:16:29 am »
I dont know why!  ;D
I have had four CB750A, one CM400A and two GS450A Suzukimatics.
Two CB750A still left.
I just like the Matics

Offline Dave Wyatt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 12:12:18 pm »
I bought it to use as a drag bike after seeing the damage Chad Isely was doing locally.  32,000 miles, and only one evening on the strip later, I still have it.  I may get back into drag racing and give the old 'matic a shot now that I have a GL1800.
Dave Wyatt
1976 CB750A
1965 C100
2008 GL1800
I swear, the damn things are starting to breed!

Offline notn

• my trike..1977 Honda 750a wheelchair access
    • world according to neal of the north
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 07:02:54 pm »
well my reasoning is a little more of a requirement than want. Due to my disability ( which includes among other non-working parts, no hand function...fingers no movey. therefor not having to deal with a clutch is a big bonus, although my 650 yamaha sidecar setup had a clutch but once moving I never used it to shift.  Another issue is in the state of Oregon my drivers license requires an automatic transmission and hand controles.  That was the first thing I was ask at the DMV "does it have an automatic trans" fortunatly the gal at the DMV was quite "Bike Savy" and was aware of the hondamatic.  That brings up another point, you would be supprised at how many big time "bikers" have never heard of one which when told its an automatic they almost freak out.  It seems in the mid 70's befor I got hurt there was an automatic that was built in Canada.  Anyway its quite a discussion around a bunch of riders, then realy freak them out, tell them it is only a 2 speed.
Neal Chamberlain
Neal - of - the -North
North Powder, Or
www.notn.org

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 07:58:20 pm »
I don't have one yet...but I hope to!  :D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline sanddigger

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 09:15:41 am »
Hi, All Its Sanddigger a New Guy  , So You Want To Know Why I have
a Hondamatic, well as I can no longer  use my left foot to shift, so  that
why. I am rebuilding it. so I will need some hepl with geting part.

AKA Joe ;D

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 08:31:56 pm »
Hi, All Its Sanddigger a New Guy  , So You Want To Know Why I have
a Hondamatic, well as I can no longer  use my left foot to shift, so  that
why. I am rebuilding it. so I will need some hepl with geting part.

AKA Joe ;D

You've come to the right place!
I anticipate someday having enough arthritis in my foot that I might have to give up constant shifting, myself. Then I will either invent an electric shifter, or get a Hondamatic.

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline dave the welder

• dave the welder
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 01:54:47 pm »
who shifts   just leave it in high and twist throttle
don't buy it build it

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 04:13:59 pm »
who shifts   just leave it in high and twist throttle

:)

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 04:32:35 am »
Well I got my first engine out of a parts bike. Working in Honda shop, thought one day, badazz go cart / buggy. Or something crazy like 750 pit bike ! Reason I have one now and two here ....is cuz of Sam Green, who also was emulating Chad Isley! We ain't won the big money but we've been to the finals. Awesome bracket bike!  ;D
What a sound, open V&H 4-1 sidewinder,no restrictions, 915 CycleX kit,RC 295 replica cam,Mike Rieck Stage IV head.32 mm Yamaha CV carbs,Dyna/ MSD ignition. Shift once @ 1/8 mile,no need to even back off throttle, just shift, 10,500 rpms here we come again! Best time so far ET 12.18, Mph 116.xx. They are fun to race! 8) Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline dave the welder

• dave the welder
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2014, 06:38:11 pm »
I am a glutten for punishment as I got automatic #2 this one a 78 with 2200 miles.thank god there is no cure for this addiction
don't buy it build it

Offline birdmannn101

• My Fixerupper 73 CB750K3
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 01:51:52 am »
I have always wanted one because of the way it looks with 4 big cylinders in line.  I owned a few CB750's and was sad to see the last K3 drive away after I had sold it to get my 03 VTX1300.  My left big toe has always hurt and now with diabetes it is about worthless for shifting on these antique bikes.  I saw a guy on Craigslist who was willing to trade me a 1976 CB750A straight across for a CT200 Trail 90 that I had restored and now I have the bike I have always wanted.  This Hondamatic was formerly owned by someone who was confined to a wheelchair.  He added a side car with controls and drove it all over Indiana.  He has unfortunately passed away.
CB110
CB160
CB750K
CB750A
S90
CB350Four
CT200
C100
C102
VTX1300

Offline Yoshimatic

• The Stable
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 03:25:15 am »
I have two 1977 CB750A Hondamatics and just love them to bits. They are the smoothest bikes and just a pure pleasure to ride. I just love the way that they make city riding a pleasure through the crap traffic.
I bought my first one last year on ebay from Canberra, it was imported from the US of course because only two of these we're ever factory delivered to Australia. Honda Australia decided not to get more as they thought the Australian market wouldn't take to them. I think they made a mistake with that.
They are like riding a fat lady, it's ok when your mates are not looking.
1969 GL175 twin
1970 CB750 K0
1971 CL350
1975 CB750F1
1977 CB750F2
1977 CB750A (original condition)
1977 CB750A (836 Cafe Racer)
1978 CB750F3

Offline 2coolWheels

• ?
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2014, 03:44:04 pm »
I am always looking for project bikes that I can buy cheap and get back on the road. I found my A on eBay for $250. I outbid the only other bidder at the last moment and got it for $255. Now that I've done a bit of a restoration on it, I find that it's quite addicting. Not as fast as the other bikes, but very smooth and predictable. (see before and after pictures)
99 Excelsior Henderson #741
99 Excelsior Henderson #901
85 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
79 Yamaha XS1100 Project
76 Honda CB750A Hondamatic
73 Honda CB350F Project

Offline tarzy

• I like Girls, Guitars, and my Motorcycles!
    • Learn to Play Guitar on DVD
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2014, 12:32:28 am »
Mine has seen some hard times, and has been in storage for some years; I bought it with 11750 miles, fixed the problems my way, and just haven't got back to it. But for $275, I'll be hanging onto it. I'll try to get a picture up in the appropriate spot in the next few months. It is just as you describe, smooth as silk! I used to have a half dozen SOHC bikes but now just this, a 350/4, and a '79 CB650.
Just need more SOHC Hondas, that's all!

Offline welshboy1963

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2015, 07:40:21 pm »
To be really honest, I found the old lady in bits the frame had wheels on it and engine in place rest was in box's ,traveled to the middle of no where, l mean back of beyond to pick her up, about 1,050 or there about, spent a winter must of the summer putting the old lady back together,  with the help of a trusty owners manual and a friend who worked at a honda dealership.
After putting in hours rebuilding her, plus the $$$$ spent, just don't tell the wife, she runs smoothly starts easy rides suburb
why do I keep her, its because I know ever nut n bolt and I just can't ever see me selling her, particularly when my son and daughter says its easy to ride, so I think she'll be around for a very long time

Offline BigDnCali

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2015, 01:54:25 pm »
Owned a Goldwing when these came out.  I was off bikes while raising my kids and 30 years later I got the itch again.  I have an arthritic gout issue in my ankles.  I bought an 1980 CM400A and I love it.  Now I'm building a 750A chopper that my wife and I can enjoy together.

Offline cphines

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2015, 08:59:07 am »
I have always loved motorcycles. I have had some, but none that were really "keepers." I customized them, rode them, and sold them for more than I paid. I decided I was done with it for a bit, and along came a craigslist add for a '76 cb750a. Never heard of an automatic motorcycle. I thought it was worth investigating, and now I own it. I love vintage bikes and have always wanted a cafe racer, but never had time to have a bike completely torn down. Now that I'm a little older, I have time. Out of space, but that's another issue... I can say the work has begun. Soon, it'll be up and running, and on it's way to being one of few automatic cafe bikes. And it'll be my first "keeper" due to attached sentimental value.

Offline kac3177

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2015, 07:38:26 pm »
After losing my arm my riding options were limited. My first A was a 400. Then I found a 78 750a. Now I have a 76, 77 and 78 750a. Collect/Ride the whole set.
kac3177

Offline shortbloke

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2015, 02:54:47 am »
I've only been riding since 76.  Started with a fs1e.Had until 10 year's ago a z1000 a4. Fantastic machine. Then I broke my wrist, riding was a real pain. Went to Oxford classics here in England to see a cm450 but tucked away in the corner was the 750a. It was a no brained. Riding is fun again. Always turns heads as there's only 30 or so over here and I've got one.  8)

Offline Nigel 1

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2015, 08:16:26 am »
I bought my 1978 750a about 2 months ago, not sure why, just like all CB sohc 750's, I have got it running properly at last and been for a few short test rides, something appealing about it being different and most bikers never realised there was an automatic CB750, hoping to get it ready for mot over the next month or so and see what it's like to ride the strange beast...

Offline Nigel 1

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2015, 08:20:48 am »
Almost forgot on my post above -
If anybody has a side panel 750 badge for my hondamatic, I would like to buy it please,

Many thanks
Nigel