Author Topic: "CR750" Frame Modifications  (Read 1688 times)

Offline spiritof67

• Hot Shot
"CR750" Frame Modifications
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:17:58 am »
I put "CR750" in quotes since almost all are converted CB750's and not really CR's - but that's what we want, or as close as possible, right?

I a looking for "build" pictures from anyone who has made the change to the Bartels style fuel tank so I can have an idea of where the tank frame brackets need to be cut and replaced and what shape is recommended. I am going to use the MeadSpeed rear tank strap, which I understand is the common use.

While on the topic, is it recommended to brace the frame behind or in front of the oil tank or at the steering head? Any pictures of this, if so?

I am hoping to fairly soon join the ranks of "CR" owners with a period-correct Honda, which I am positioning as a "what if?" bike. I mean, what if Honda decided in the early 1970's to actually offer a "CR" style street bike, cutting the diastance between the CB750 and the GSXR750 by a decade?

And just to keep the waters roiling, why does everyone chase after the Mann bike and ignore the next most successful CR750 Honda ever raced, that being Steve McLaughlin's first CR? It was certainly raced more often at more tracks than the Mann bike (easy when only raced once..) and had at least three different incarnations. How come nobody mentions the guy who invented World Superbike racing's most famous bike? I mean, it had magnesium spoke wheels in 1970! It had a rear disc brake years before most race and all street bikes. I guess he's just been ignored, but it was a significant bike all the same. And oh, yeah: he was the guy who got Honda to come back to Daytona. Too bad they didn't try harder: that race was winnable.

Anyway, I would appreciate any assistance with the frame questions, and to all of us, build on!

Spirit

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: "CR750" Frame Modifications
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 08:43:22 am »
The Bartel/Meadspeed tanks fit over the standard tank bobbins at the front.
Don't do the rear bracket until you have the tank and tie down strap.
There is very little room where the seat and tank meet, so the bracket and hook that the strap fits over must be positioned spot on.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:48:37 am »
See reply #4 in this thread.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=94588.0

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline spiritof67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 06:47:53 am »
Thanks for that. Anyone else got more pics? Always helpful before you start cutting..

Spirit