Author Topic: Dreaded MAC muffler buzz kill what does, and doesn't work  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Rigid

• She likes a
  • Expert
  • Speak from personal experience, or don't
    • KingCustomCycles
Dreaded MAC muffler buzz kill what does, and doesn't work
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:25:39 pm »
Installed a pretty little 4-1 MAC header and muffler.  No surprise, it buzzes from 2-5 K rpm.  Not a little hum, this was BAD.  I ground off the rivet head holding the baffle and used a slide hammer to force the very tight baffle out.  First I bent the edges of the inside support ring out to make it fit tighter.  No change.  Slide hammer it out again, cut grooves in the same support and bent them out to tighten the fit.  Still bad.   I then drilled 4 quarter inch holes in the support and coated the outside edge with high temp rv.  Problem cured.  Sounds good, no rattle or buzz.
36 years of this stuff, here to help.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
Re: Dreaded MAC muffler buzz kill what does, and doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »
Probably the holes cured it. The originals were causing resonance at certain rpm's.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline mrrch

• Hot Shot
Re: Dreaded MAC muffler buzz kill what does, and doesn't work
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 08:53:22 pm »
I added a second mounting screw for the baffle as well spreading the inner support flange, no buzz.
my build

1977 CB750K WITH 1976 CB750F ENGINE