Author Topic: Dyna Ignition 12v Wire CB750F  (Read 1431 times)

Offline jj

Dyna Ignition 12v Wire CB750F
« on: May 14, 2012, 10:37:57 pm »
For anyone that is looking to hook up a DYNA S Electronic ignition and gets to step 12 which reads

Remove the fuel tank. Locate the two ignition coils. There is a black/white wire coming from each coil to a common junction in the wire harness. These wires carried the switched 12 volts to the coils. Using the splice connector provided, attach the separate red wire included in the kit to the black / white wire that goes to the coils, as shown below. Do not strip the wires.

There is a note on the next page about using any switched 12 volt wire. Use the black wire from the rear brake switch as suggested. It is closer and easier to reach and you won't go tearing apart your wire harness unnecessarily. Also the red wire provided seems kind of short to reach where these coil wires intersect (Even though I didn't/wouldn't dig far enough up into the harness to find this intersection)

Notes about this ignition after getting it set up and timed properly with stock coils. It's great. The bike is faster. It idles better at low speeds. It sounds better at low idle. The difference is significant.

I will install the dyna coils later this week... ran out of day light.

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
Re: Dyna Ignition 12v Wire CB750F
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:11:13 am »
I think the intention with connecting the Dyna red wire @ the black/white junction is that the 'Kill Switch' when off would remove power to the coils AND to the Dyna pick-ups, so no voltage under the points cover ( same as stock set-up ).  ;)
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline jj

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 12:38:23 pm »
Ahh, that makes sense. Any idea how far up that junction is? Is it somewhere in the harness between the coils and the headlight?

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 06:17:20 pm »
Have to remove the tank  :(, but it's right by the coils....easily spotted.
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 08:06:16 am »
I don't see powering the Dyna plate from the brake power as a big problem. The power comes from the same fuse and ignition switch contact. The coil power still comes from the kill switch. I don't think there's any risk of damage from the fact the plate is powered when the kill switch is off but ignition is on.
Running a long wire up to the coil area has a few problems. You have to splice on a longer wire, splices are prone to problems. The wire up to the coil area is itself open to damage. The coil power junction is likely the lowest voltage in the harness, since the coil current through the wire, connectors, etc. will produce it's maximum voltage drop there.

Offline jj

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 09:05:32 am »
Have to remove the tank  :(, but it's right by the coils....easily spotted.

I dug pretty far up into the wiring harness and couldn't find where they met. I'm putting the Dyna coils on later today so I'll snap a pic.