Author Topic: to all the pod and pipe people, past present and especially future.  (Read 22532 times)

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: to all the pod and pipe people, past present and especially future.
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2017, 05:22:00 pm »
The thing you guys have to remember is this...the airflow restriction is in the cylinder head ports and to a lesser extent, the carburetors.  The stock airbox has a vast plentitude of really nice, quiet, still, high quality air to feed that restriction.  You have to take the engine apart and do some very time consuming or expensive or both work to flow more air than the that big box of goodness can provide.  Until this expensive time consuming work is done, you are just hurting performance with aftermarket intakes.
https://www.streetchopperweb.com/honda-cb750-head-porting-how-to-archive
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline BobR

• Hot Shot
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2017, 06:26:23 pm »
  There are other reasons for doing away with an airbox. Space. On my old ZRX 1100 and 1200 you could get roughly the same hp/torque numbers jetted for a pipe and modded airbox as with pods and it was a easier to dial in the lower rpm's too. Either way roughly about 11-13 hp for the 1100 and 13-15 on the 1200. That said with a stage 1 you didnt get the extra space though and in the ZRX's case it was sort of unique. We (pod guys) would move the battery (one forum member made a nice kit for this purpose) and you could literally fit a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread under the seat..."sure honey I'll go get the milk"...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Albert Einstein
 CB750K4(F2 engine)

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2017, 06:41:23 pm »
That's great Bob...but those are not sohc4's.  Kawasaki dohc cylinder heads flow wayyy more air right out of the box starting with the Z1 in 1973.  So totally different situation than these Honda's.  Interestingly enough though, head on over to KZRider.com and you will find most of the knowledgeable folks there will agree that the stock airbox has plenty of air for a stock or slightly modified engine..."no honey, I am not going to get the milk.  You are welcome to take the Chevy with the flipped air cleaner lid."
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline BobR

• Hot Shot
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2017, 04:42:25 pm »
That's great Bob...but those are not sohc4's.  Kawasaki dohc cylinder heads flow wayyy more air right out of the box starting with the Z1 in 1973.  So totally different situation than these Honda's.  Interestingly enough though, head on over to KZRider.com and you will find most of the knowledgeable folks there will agree that the stock airbox has plenty of air for a stock or slightly modified engine..."no honey, I am not going to get the milk.  You are welcome to take the Chevy with the flipped air cleaner lid."

Sorry I wasn't really pointing out extra HP numbers more than box or no box the numbers were the same.  Above and beyond that pods were space savers- especially on my old ZRX which had a little storage space under the seat made twice as big with pods and battery relocation to where the airbox was. Literally a gallon of milk would fit under the seat with room for more...Bob

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:44:14 pm by BobR »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Albert Einstein
 CB750K4(F2 engine)

Offline Yamahawk

• IGOR!Come here IGOR! ...Yesss
  • Master
  • 1971 Honda CB750 Four K1
    • Kingdom Run Biker Church and Outreach
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2017, 03:46:54 am »
... Pods work better on non-CV carburetors. I would not try to run pods on a bike which runs Constant Velocity diaphragm carbs. The Keihin carbs on my 1971 CB750 are pretty responsive with pods, but if I had a later model when they changed to CV's, I would keep the stock airbox. You need the venturi action of the stock airbox to allow the diaphragm to move the slide properly on a CV carb. Now... what about your favorite OIL to use on your PODS?  ;D
Charlie
1971 CB750K1 (newest bike), 1996 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (therapy bike), 1981 Yamaha XV920RH, 2006 Kawasaki Concours (retirement bike), 1975 Yamaha RD350 (race bike), 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (race bike), 1986 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (race bike in progress), 1985 Honda Elite CH250, 1973 Yamaha GT1 80cc, 1974 Yamaha DT360 project bike.

The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Triumph, is for Good Men to do Nothing.
Edmund Burke

All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Though He slay me, Yet will I trust Him...
Job 13:15
will you trust Him...?

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2017, 11:12:20 am »
trash cans cv's took nicely to the k&n pods.

the jetting is much larger than stock as a result.