Author Topic: to all the pod and pipe people, past present and especially future.  (Read 22529 times)

Offline cgswss

• Enthusiast
Re: to all the pod and pipe people, past present and especially future.
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2012, 10:23:44 pm »
Just for the heck of it I searched for a pipe comparance on line.  I found quite a few this is one example:

http://www.superstreetbike.com/tested/0601_sbkp_2005_suzuki_gsx_r1000_exhaust/viewall.html

Note that in this test EVERY system gave more power then the stock pipes.  In this case you can get about 10 more HP out of a very highly tuned "stock" bike.  This is a lot more then "seat of the pants" real data as tested on a dyno and at the track.

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2012, 10:38:13 pm »
OWD..+ 1,000... that's what it's all about for me too .. nothing else, ever...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:40:14 pm by Spanner 1 »
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2012, 06:23:11 am »
Just once I wanna hear someone admit they care about the look and sound far more then the driveability.

I freely admit its about looks sometimes for me.  I spent 8 years gathering parts to build my Dunstall becuase it looked great in pictures online.  I had no first hand knowledge or experience riding a Dunstall bike but spent the time, effort, and money becuase I loved how it looked and what it represented to me.

There is value in commitment no matter the root cause.  If you do it for comfort or touring and I do it to evoke a feeling I couldn't experience first hand but can now, that should be OK.  Just my opinion.

Scott

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2012, 08:10:40 am »
Just once I wanna hear someone admit they care about the look and sound far more then the driveability.

I freely admit its about looks sometimes for me.  I spent 8 years gathering parts to build my Dunstall becuase it looked great in pictures online.  I had no first hand knowledge or experience riding a Dunstall bike but spent the time, effort, and money becuase I loved how it looked and what it represented to me.

There is value in commitment no matter the root cause.  If you do it for comfort or touring and I do it to evoke a feeling I couldn't experience first hand but can now, that should be OK.  Just my opinion.

Scott

Great look'n bike Rookster.

I agree that for me it is about the looks totally. I want it to run right also.
You can have both.
I was looking at some KO CB750 carbs yesterday and I sure wish i could get some.
Great features.
Too bad Honda changed the design. They worked GREAT and were very adjustable and tunable.

Offline vames

• Expert
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2012, 10:20:02 am »
I use a stock airbox and have nothing to add to this debate but this pretty picture.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:22:56 am by vames »

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2012, 10:36:24 am »
will these pods work on my bike?

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2012, 11:05:49 am »
I think my stacks and shorty straight pipe look good and sound beastly. Runs good enough for me to spank ricers, and even some muscle cars (kept up with a newer camaro SS off the line) in the stop light grand prix, and that's all I care about :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:07:40 am by Dimitri13 »

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2012, 11:29:09 am »
Did those people know they were racing ?

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2012, 11:34:16 am »
I use a stock airbox and have nothing to add to this debate but this pretty picture.

Aren't you the person that has a avatar of the two cops with sunglasses in a car, and you show photos of bone stock CB750's?? LOL..lol

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2012, 11:37:05 am »
will these pods work on my bike?

Yes!....But you have to rejet.  OL...lol.lol

BTW..I was listening to a physics lecture the other day and this scientist
said it was the baby boomer generation that figured out how to get to space with our
rocket engines which were like giant carbs.
He said to the class that the young people now need to figure out something new.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:40:38 am by lucky »

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2012, 11:39:31 am »

They didn't have time .

Offline vames

• Expert
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2012, 12:39:18 pm »

Aren't you the person that has a avatar of the two cops with sunglasses in a car, and you show photos of bone stock CB750's?? LOL..lol

No and no. But thanks for asking. Mine is a kinda-stock CB400f
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:41:00 pm by vames »

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2012, 01:23:23 pm »
One of them old GS 550 Suzuki's. Incredible bikes, reliable and bulletproof. I told her to keep it forever.

i was on the fence about buying one until you said that.  :) 

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2012, 01:52:22 pm »

i seriously LOLed at that just now.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2012, 02:21:54 pm »
Shocking news people.

On another thread forum member (lostmykeys) mentioned that when he put now clear fuel hoses on his PD carbs the stock black rubber hoses had brass restrictors inside of them!! YEP.  Two restrictors in each hose near the center. One of the three hoses had slightly longer restrictors inside the hose.

Luckily I kept my old hoses for some weird reason and I went and found those
those little restrictors. It made my whole day!!!!!!

Anyway now I just am waiting to hear back from lostmykeys which of the three hoses get the longer restrictors.

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2012, 04:11:50 pm »
1-3% of 60hp? This proves your point? so ... $500 later you gain 1.2 HP. finding a small downhill grade is a lot cheaper for the same fun.

Stock airbox.. smart.

Even at $500 an aftermarket exhaust is most definitely cost effective even if I maybe just maybe pick up just 1 measly hp when you have a bike that had no exhaust on it at all when you first got it as was the case when I first got my 550 . Have you priced repro or NOS exhaust lately?

And yep I initially did the pod thing but I learned my lesson and my 550 has it's factory air box on now.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2012, 06:43:44 pm »
Just for the heck of it I searched for a pipe comparance on line.  I found quite a few this is one example:

http://www.superstreetbike.com/tested/0601_sbkp_2005_suzuki_gsx_r1000_exhaust/viewall.html

Note that in this test EVERY system gave more power then the stock pipes.  In this case you can get about 10 more HP out of a very highly tuned "stock" bike.  This is a lot more then "seat of the pants" real data as tested on a dyno and at the track.
And that TiForce pipe is very nicely made too....I run one on my busa.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2012, 01:17:49 am »

Of course. I never challenge anyone.

Offline cgswss

• Enthusiast
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2012, 06:18:43 am »
My advice to drivers of high performance cars is always  " never race a bike from the stop light"  Almost any bike will get to 50-60mph before anything but a race care in street clothing.  If the rider on that 30 year old rice burner takes off like hell then sits up and closes the throttle when he hits 60, your $50,000 new super car is going to look like crap.  Of course if the bike rider is dumb enough to go longer he will catch you and blow by like a jet on the deck of a carrier.

Well unless you have a juiced up liter engine that is... then it will take longer, if at all.  Street races seldom go over 100.

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2012, 10:40:41 am »
Well, the specs on a 550 is pretty dismal, compared to newer performance cars. 14.5s 1/4mi, 0-60 in something like 6 seconds. My Evo X was quicker off the line, had a 13s 1/4mi, and 5 second 0-60 (of course that would be in track mode, traction control completely off, and using launch control). And even then, all the horses lost over forty years makes my bike even slower.

Even with my performance affected, I've managed to get it only in the lower range. At 3-5k, it stumbles, but after 6k, there's a noticeable change in exhaust tone and it's like a turbo kicking in. If I'm doing a stop light GP, there's no way I'd be under 6k in the first place, and that's why I'm okay with my stacks and pipe :)

A cb750 is a completely different case though. First off, there's over-the-counter big performance upgrades (816/836/1000/+) big bores, carb upgrades, etc. And the stock numbers are closer to a higher end performance car.

A quick question though, will upgrading the carbs allow for use of pods/stacks? Like CR31s? Or is it a combination of carbs and engine that make pods a bad choice?

Online Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2012, 12:05:22 pm »
CR31's pretty much require the use of pods. What else is there?! I'm in the middle of fitting CR31's and you guys are trying to scare me  ;D
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2012, 05:14:28 am »
CR31's pretty much require the use of pods. What else is there?! I'm in the middle of fitting CR31's and you guys are trying to scare me  ;D

Jerry haven't your heard, "Friends don't let friends do Pods".  Maybe Tintop has an anti pod for the CR31?

Offline 1976cb750f836

• Hot Shot
  • 76 cb750f, 836, 78 wheels
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2017, 06:00:45 pm »
I kinda have to disagree?
I had a 83 gs550e with 2000 miles on clock when I got it on trade for a Car!
The boy had c4ashed it and broke an arm, his mother and girlfriend invested he get rid of!
I got it cheap!
I rode couple hundred miles, al, my friends had 750s!
I couldn't keep Up!
I bought a v and H system and a kit Called , I believe k and n filter charger?
It had pods and carb  calibration needles and Jets!
This was the first year tscc engine I believe!
It had 2 2 barell Carbs!
I followed instructions Exactly!
After all was done, I could not believe the Difference!
Not only could I keep up with my friends 750! A 8 valve gs 750 in particular , I could out run him on the Top!
Bout the same on a Roll!
I was so impressed !
I believe 10% is a good estimate for pipe and filters, maybe more if set up just right!
Just my 2 Cents! And personal experience!

Offline stereosilence

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB550K
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2017, 07:02:55 am »
I have a 75 cb550 that came with crappy drag pipes. I could have gone stock, but that didn't seem as interesting or as educational as trying different things. I think pipes and pods look cool. I've heard the air box is a huge pain to take on and off as well.

I think a note that has been mentioned but not emphasized is "stock bike". If you drop a new cam in there, don't you have to increase airflow somehow to take advantage of increased performance?

I also think it is a culture issue. If you are a in your 30's or younger, you have never lived in an era where new bikes weren't sold with restrictive environmental settings. The first thing you do with a new bike these days is put an aftermarket pipe on there and either flash the ECU or dynotune and you get a sizable instant performance boost. People are probably used to that.

Tuning a 550 for performance seems a little silly anyway. I hope one day I get mine back on the road and I will enjoy putting around, but if I want to go fast, I'll jump on my liter bike.

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2017, 10:43:42 am »
Race braced frames are legit reason to use pods too.