Author Topic: Matt's CB750 K4 Full Blown Restoration - Frame Painted  (Read 15362 times)

Offline matt s

Re: Matt's CB750 K4 Full Blown Restoration - Crank Bearings Advice?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 11:39:27 am »
Thanks for the input, Mark. 

The one-by-one bearing shell measurement sounds like a good strategy to me.  One question, though - if I only have one pair of the black bearings in the case do I leave my current worn bearings in the other 4 positions that are not being measured?  I assume you didn't just have the other 4 slots empty, right?

Also, I'm a bit confused on what you did with your case at the machine shop.  You put the case together so he could measure the wear of the crank bearing seats?  Is this a normal practice in rebuilding the engine?

-Matt
1973 CB350F - sold :(
1974 CB750K4 (In progress - forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=107272.0)

Offline nancy

• CB750 K2'ish - SOLD!! Triumph Sprint GT2011
  • Hot Shot
  • No worries matey..
Re: Matt's CB750 K4 Full Blown Restoration - Crank Bearings Advice?
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 09:55:42 pm »
Hi Matt

Leave all the bearings in place and remove just the set you are replacing with new. You must have the whole lot in situ as you torque it back down..and DON"T let the crank move! Have top case upside down on your right - fit crank into that, place plastigage (green) onto the journal with the new shells, place bottom case gently on top, front face first, screw in bolts in prescribed sequence - biggest 2 first, centres then outers. Everything in the shell cavity areas must be TOTALLY clean and dry. Bolts, dowels, cover faces - needed liberal oil to simulate proper seating for torque etc.

My machinist offered to eyeball the crank and take quick measurements - so having the cases joined was easy for him - I didn't stay to watch him...but he told me he can access the bearing seats inside the case from the crank hole - inserts his tool and measures and takes comparitive measurements on the crank journals. This told him that my no 1 crank journal was worn most - but still inside spec. My plastigage was exactly what he measured. It was just his way of checking that I wasn't a total idiot and that the new shells would not bind on the crank..by checking for out of roundness for me - on the crank..in particular the conrod journals.

Offline matt s

Re: Matt's CB750 K4 Full Blown Restoration
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 08:20:36 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Mark.  That sounds like a good strategy to me.

Update: Cases are completely stripped of everything (except rods which I will keep) and ready for cleaning, paint stripping, prep, and paint.  I think I'm going to do that before I do the bearings so I can save up a bit of cash for those expensive bits.

Potential Problem.  I found what looks to me to be like pretty bad wear on the shift drum.  I noted some sloppy shifting for the short test drive I took with this bike and this may be part of the reason.  Is this thing trashed?  The groove with the problem is the one closest to the outside of the case.

So, is a replacement necessary?

Other pics:

Oil screen with some nice chunks embedded

Top case ready for cleaning

Bottom case is real nasty - hopefully this won't be too difficult to clean up

Parts bagged up and, um, "organized"

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
I need to grow a pair to tare into an engine. Keep it up
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: Matt's CB750 K4 Full Blown Restoration - Shift Drum Wear - Need Replaced?
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2013, 05:42:50 am »
Update?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline nancy

• CB750 K2'ish - SOLD!! Triumph Sprint GT2011
  • Hot Shot
  • No worries matey..
Re: Matt's CB750 K4 Full Blown Restoration - Shift Drum Wear - Need Replaced?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 05:14:38 pm »
Yeh,...what's happening???

Offline matt s

Re: Matt's CB750 K4 Full Blown Restoration - Back after over 4 years
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 07:28:28 pm »
I'm back!

After over four years, I'm making time for this bike again.  I've moved homes, sold my 350F, got into woodworking, ran a couple marathons, but now its CB750F time again!  The bike was moved from my previous home to this home but is still in pieces on the same shelf. 

Last I was working on this I was cleaning the engine case to prep for painting.  I think I'm going to take it over to my buddy's house and use his blast cabinet and hit it with some type of media.  Is soda best to blast the engine case with?

I also think I'm going to work on getting a rolling frame.  That means stripping the paint from the frame, swingarm, etc., and re-painting.  Then getting the forks rebuilt.  Speaking of forks:

Started tearing them down.  I'll need to replace the fork tubes and seals and stuff.  They were full of some NASTY smelling black sludge.  Also, I wasn't able to get the little allen bolt out of the bottom yet.  From what I read it's going to be a pain.

I'm also going to get into the swingarm a bit to prep for paint.  I think I'll need to wait to paint for summer but just getting ready for now.

Here's my engine case as it sits now.  Its about ready to paint, too, but I'm going to give it a final blast before priming and painting.

Happy to be back on the wagon!

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
Re: Matt's CB750 K4 Full Blown Restoration - Back after 4 years!
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 08:14:14 am »
Matt
GREAT job on posting your progress. I am about to start a K3 mostly stock restoration. Your detailed progress has been most helpful. As for media blasting, be careful. It's almost impossible to clean all the nooks out and any media left in it will total the engine quickly. I think the safest might be soda blasting as it dissolves with water. Do you plan to put stock pipes on it?
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline matt s

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2017, 10:55:11 am »
Painted parts ready to go to the sand blaster

Offline matt s

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2017, 07:13:01 am »
Matt
GREAT job on posting your progress. I am about to start a K3 mostly stock restoration. Your detailed progress has been most helpful. As for media blasting, be careful. It's almost impossible to clean all the nooks out and any media left in it will total the engine quickly. I think the safest might be soda blasting as it dissolves with water. Do you plan to put stock pipes on it?

Thanks, Maui.  I was planning on using soda on the engine cases because of the dangers of getting glass or sand into the oil paths.  Also, I think I'm going to go with MAC 4-2 pipes.  I just can't justify shelling out the big bucks for 4-4 stockers.  Are you posting progress on your restore?

Offline matt s

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2017, 08:43:30 pm »
Got the rear hub all taken apart.

And actually came up with a handy way to remove the rear brake shoes.  In Hondaman's book he says a fan belt spreader would be a good help - but I don't have all those fancy tools.  So I just spread the shoes with the chain adjuster like in the picture below.  Just spread the shoes and lift them off.

Offline palepainter

• Hot Shot
    • Mike Learn custom paint and airbrush.
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2017, 09:03:58 pm »
Genius move right there!

Offline matt s

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2017, 12:54:16 pm »
Got the tires and spokes off the rear wheel. 

Is there too much rust on my rim to salvage it?

Also got my forks all taken apart ready to rebuild (sorry for upside-down picture).  Forks are trash - have new ones on the way from nichecycle.com.

This bolt on the bottom of the forks was a beeotch to remove!

Offline matt s

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 08:10:29 pm »
Got my frame and other pieces back from the media blaster!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 07:25:45 am »
Nice....powdercoat now?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2017, 06:58:10 pm »
Thanks for the offer of the seat, but no thanks.  Had one just like it when I bought my K7, first thing I did was toss it in the trash!

If you ever yearn for it again, I have a spare here for you!
:D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 07:05:17 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Mark.  That sounds like a good strategy to me.

Update: Cases are completely stripped of everything (except rods which I will keep) and ready for cleaning, paint stripping, prep, and paint.  I think I'm going to do that before I do the bearings so I can save up a bit of cash for those expensive bits.

Potential Problem.  I found what looks to me to be like pretty bad wear on the shift drum.  I noted some sloppy shifting for the short test drive I took with this bike and this may be part of the reason.  Is this thing trashed?  The groove with the problem is the one closest to the outside of the case.

So, is a replacement necessary?

Other pics:

Oil screen with some nice chunks embedded

Top case ready for cleaning

Bottom case is real nasty - hopefully this won't be too difficult to clean up

Parts bagged up and, um, "organized"

Yes, that needs to be replaced. Also check the "L" shifter fork, make sure the shift-follower dowel that runs in the groove is in good shape and the fork tips not burned. Do you have my book? It details all that stuff...

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2017, 09:34:31 pm »
Matt
I am poking along, gathering parts and refining the strategy. I have a few woodworking projects to do and then it comes apart. I will be ordering all of Hondaman's electrical goodies. So far I've gathered wheel bearings, tank, side covers and fork covers in the right color, 4-4 exhaust, tires (Continental, from Revzilla), fork kit, rear fender, and various other bits, lots more to get. I think I will use POR15 on the frame with their top coat. Why? It's repairable and my wife wants to help me clean and paint the frame, it's not in bad shape. Yes, she's excited about the project, how did I get so lucky?
Hondamans book is a must, takes a lot of the mystery out of it. Also, watch Dean Segovia's Hack a week rebuild. I don't agree with everything he did but it's very informative for the visual learner.
A little story:. I replaced the rear winkers including the mounting clip with the wire riveted to it. Right away I had a shaker ground on both. Long story short, I drilled the river heads off, paint under the ring terminal. I cleaned up the paint, tapped the hole 8-32, made a short screw and reinstalled with silicone grease. Problem solved.
By the way, the motor scene here is largely V twin, off road, scooters and some Tupperware bikes. When we ride around and park I always get someone walking up with starry eyes to look at it ( and I'm not fond of flake sunrise). Or, a younger person walks up and wants to know what it is👍

Aloha all from Maui
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline matt s

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2017, 08:00:54 am »
Nice....powdercoat now?

I'm going to paint it.  I bought VHT roll bar paint and intend to paint all the black stuff with it. I also got some of the spray max clear coat which I'm planning to use on the frame and swingarm. 

Offline matt s

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2017, 08:05:07 am »

Yes, that needs to be replaced. Also check the "L" shifter fork, make sure the shift-follower dowel that runs in the groove is in good shape and the fork tips not burned. Do you have my book? It details all that stuff...

Thanks, Mark, I'll look for a replacement drum. I do have your book now (didn't back when I posted a few years ago) and it's never far from reach now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2017, 09:42:08 pm »
Got the rear hub all taken apart.

And actually came up with a handy way to remove the rear brake shoes.  In Hondaman's book he says a fan belt spreader would be a good help - but I don't have all those fancy tools.  So I just spread the shoes with the chain adjuster like in the picture below.  Just spread the shoes and lift them off.

Excellent move!
Can I put that in the next book, if I can find you to give you the credits?

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2017, 09:45:15 pm »

Thanks, Mark, I'll look for a replacement drum. I do have your book now (didn't back when I posted a few years ago) and it's never far from reach now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can't find a good drum, PM me. I have some partial engines, probably have a good one in them somewhere.

Offline matt s

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2017, 03:19:34 pm »
Excellent move!
Can I put that in the next book, if I can find you to give you the credits?

Wow - it would be my privilege!

If you can't find a good drum, PM me. I have some partial engines, probably have a good one in them somewhere.

Will do, thanks!

Offline matt s

Re: Matt's CB750 K4 Full Blown Restoration - Frame Painted
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2017, 03:36:13 pm »
Got a few updates!

Got a few parts clean - it's nice not getting all grimy just trying to move parts around

Installed All Balls wheel bearings in front and back hubs

Cleaned up my rims.  Sprayed rust converter primer on all the rust.  It all turned black, hopefully it will hold up.

And... PAINTED MY FRAME!  This got me pretty excited, I feel like this project is really happening now.  I used VHT Roll Bar and Chassis Paint.  To me it looks great.  I used 5 cans to finish all these painted parts.  They will hang in the  garage for a week before I try to get things rolling.

First light coat:

Second light coat:

Fourth coat.  3rd and 4th coats were heavier than 1st and 2nd.  That's what the instructions said to do (can't believe I read instructions!):

Like I said, I'm no pro but it looks pretty good to me!

Some closeups of the other pieces

All hanging out for a week now.

Next, lacing up my rims!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:35:21 pm by matt s »

Offline matt s

Re: Matt's CB750 K4 Full Blown Restoration - Frame Painted
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2017, 07:18:16 am »
Got my rear wheels laced up. The FAQ entry on this made it a breeze.

Prep:

First course of inners:

And all done, ready for truing: