Author Topic: Early 75 CB400f fuel petcock problems. with pic...  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Lil Red

Early 75 CB400f fuel petcock problems. with pic...
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:14:39 am »

Well...found out why I was runnig out of gas with no reserve. Pulled the assembly out of the tank (which was IMMACULATE! Inside). Seems like the plastic pipe thing snapped right at the base...gonna super glue the sumbich...or gorilla glue maybe order new part or somethin'...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:28:48 pm by Lil Red »

Offline iron_worker

• Master
Re: Early 75 CB400f fuel petcock problems.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:12:13 am »
I dunno if I'd want to risk putting glue inside my fuel tank. If it breaks down and makes its way to the carbs it could be no fun!

There are probably fuel safe epoxies out there though ... you might be most of the way to just buying a new petcock though. lol

IW

Offline Lil Red

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:31:41 am »
Well, at first I could not get the base out of the assy...because I tried to screw it out...after some time suspended upside down doing sit ups with gravity boots while I looked and LOOKED at the manual...(the guys from the stupidity thread should be so proud of me!) I  realized it was a press fit with a square boss for alignment!...I simply pulled it out!...then it was easy...like gluing a pen cap onto a pen...at the parts store I found a fuel resistant non brittle adhesive... I applied with a tooth pick after cleaning the pieces with a q tip and alcohol....so now its a sixteen hour wait for curing and i give it ago...its already set pretty good...alas while being so carefull not gum up the works the tube spewed some onto my wife's kitchen table mat and ate right thru the thing...i thought i was winning with the razor blade scraping till i realized it had eaten the clear coat off...I'm f'n DOOMED!

On edit:  I switched the mats and put a flower vase over the unmentionable...that might buy me a day or two from the inevitable capital punishment...DEAD MAN WALKIN'!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:34:58 am by Lil Red »

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:27:49 pm »
Rebuilding petcocks in the kitchen is always a mistake. lol

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible

Offline Lil Red

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 06:26:17 pm »
...of my FAB-ulous glue job.

I think the later petcocks are different than my 75, the Ebay part specifies 77...IIRC it may just be the length of the tubes as there were complaints with the early bikes not having enough reserve fuel...

ANYWAY...I think I got the problem licked...it snapped off at the very base and it was a clean shear...it fit back together perfectly as I can now see light thru one aperture (reserve) and none thru the "ON" ...as you can see in the picture it even has a cap like thing on one side which made it easy for the adhesive to set up... I may just get this part anyway and have it around for when the jury rigg inevitably fails...may get my Honda-man Ignition first though

THANKS for the tip!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:29:29 pm by Lil Red »

Offline Lil Red

Re: Early 75 CB400f fuel petcock problems. with pic...
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 06:01:11 am »
Put the thing back on, works perfectly...it did take about a half gallon to get the reserve flowing, so I can see why they modified it some on later 400's, to drain a bit more out probably...also, I tightened the collar (left handed thread) on the tap before srcrewing it onto the tank (right handed thread) and it did not line up correctly, abit loose...I managed to use  hold the big nut with the 24mm and use some channel locks to move the tap while snugging it up...so far no leaks. I recommend lightly hand tightening the tap assy then getting it nice and tight on the tank in both directions as you would like it to align.