Author Topic: 592cc Engine Jetting Issues  (Read 8620 times)

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
592cc Engine Jetting Issues
« on: May 25, 2012, 04:21:56 pm »
Just built a 592cc engine with Dynoman 10.5 pistons, Web 58B cam, ported head, kipplewhite springs, dyna ignition and dyna 5 ohm coils, mac exhaust. Carbs are stock 74-76 CB550 with 110 main, #40 pilot, stock needles on 2nd clip from top. air screws at 1 1/2 turns and carbs very carefully cleaned and adjusted. This is a "ballpark" jetting guess for street use. Have a set of unipod filters which I've oiled and installed. carbs sync'd with vaccum gauges. Started out using D8ES ngk plugs.

The issue I'm having is erratic idle and poor low speed running. With the D8 plugs the engine would load up, staggering to rev from the bottom and with throttle hanging before returning or just idling high, turning down idle will cause stalling and generally it will stall anyway as it doesnt want to idle or even run in neutral without holding throttle on till it will finally rev a bit. Almost as if it is starving for fuel. Tried adjusting air screw in and out with no difference. Started running very rough the hotter it got. Checked the plugs and they were black but not wet.

changed to D7ES plugs and removed unipods. Set air screw at one turn out. Starts easily with choke but choke must be turned off immediately. Seemed to run better with idle between 1500-2000rpm, hesitates as you open throttle momentarily but clears and pulls well on part throttle. While running on part throttle it surges a bit and burbles. Opening throttle slight hesitation and then good acceleration again. A quick burst of wide open throttle should smooth strong acceleration especially as the tach went over 7000 rpm. As engine is fresh cannot hold it open to redline but it feels as if it has enough fuel up top. Still will not pu rev on blip for downshift , seems to stutter and can't clear its throat. Plugs look black again. Definately runs better but that could be due to new plugs or removing air filters. I'm a little confused as it seems to want fuel but runs better without air filters and still looks rich!

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
Re: 592cc Engine Jetting Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 05:39:21 pm »
Good news ,you're up and running.I think it's telling you hey man,I had 500/550 cc with 22's,please put on CB750SOHC carbs 69-76,28mm,K&N's,you can read about it here,I'd think,but in old Clymer's manuals under performance section. A BIG NOTICEABLE difference! ;) ;D Just my .02.I'd get rid of those 22's for sure! ::)Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 06:48:18 am »
Thanks Bill. I will try other carbs as I have a set of CB650's and CB750's to work with later. First I would like to see if I can get to the bottom of this poor low speed drive-ability. I'm not sure if the issue is all carburation as the plugs are so dark. Maybe the new Dyna is not performing or my timing may be off. I'll check timing with strobe this morning and also do a compression test just to eliminate those possibilities. The performance from my brief shot at wide open throttle was quite surprising. This bike will be fast I think.

Rick Denoon in Winnipeg, Manitoba has modified two sets (74-76) and (77-78) of CB550 carbs for me as well. He has bored these carbs to 28mm. Once I get then assembled, I'll try them on the 592 also to see if they give a big improvement over stock. Rick has done these modifications to carbs for the CB400F with substantial improvements. This might be an option for other CB550 builders to have CR style performance from stock carbs at a fraction of the cost anyway that's the plan!

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 10:07:15 am »
Checked carbs they are 069A as fitted to CB550F from 75-77 . Stock jetting is #38 pilot, #98 main and needle on 2nd clip from top. I've put in #40 pilot, 110 main and needle 2nd clip air screw at 1 turn out.
Compression test showed 130lbs across all 4 cyl using a compression gauge with a 20" hose. Timing checked with strobe was dead on. Cleaned and oiled Unipod filters and re-installed them. Test ride in city and Hwy. On Hwy showed good throttle response under load in all gears with smooth acceleration and decent blip response when down shifting. In city still hunting at idle a bit, throttle hangs a bit when reved in neutral but can't blip throttle when downshifting as it stumbles and burbles. Hesitates at small throttle openings around town, stumbles and burbles when accelerating at small throttle openings. Plugs are still black but dry. Is it too lean on pilot? Do I need a bigger main to compensate or just a bigger pilot. Or is it running rich at low speed?? Any comments or ideas?

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 11:45:08 am »
a dyna ignition (which one BTW?) would be high on my suspected subjects list...

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:56:35 am »
Can I assume you have vacuum synced the carbs? (Gotta do this before, and sometimes after each metering/adjustment change.)

An engine may "stumble" on throttle twist from either being too rich or too lean.  To tell the difference, you listen for sounds during engine power recovery.
If the engine stopped firing because the the mixture was too lean, as it comes back into power it will be a clean resumption.  The effect will be as though someone switched off the ignition during the stumble event.
If the engine stumbled because the mixture went too rich, recovery will burble back to life as the cylinders will fire on 16th and 8th cycles before the routine every 4th, before the mixture stabilizes into consistent firing.

With mechanical slide carbs, attention must be paid to what the slide is doing at the time of the "trouble".  It matters if it was being held steady, or if it was moving and thereby changing the carb throat vacuum level at the time of the "trouble".

While at a constant throat vacuum level (slides stationary), "burble" (missing firing cycles) implies jetting is too rich for that throttle position.

At low RPM, stumble from a throttle opening change with a clean recovery afterward, indicates the mixture was too lean at the time of the stumble.  This could be from low vacuum in the carb throats, or a too-lean pilot circuit (and lack of an accelerator pump).

If you are fine tuning, you would be best served with marking your throttle, in order to relate engine run symptoms/sounds with carb slide position.  This allows you to address the parts of the carb metering devices that directly effect the symptom you are observing.

Expert carb tuners, would alter jetting for track elevation, barometric pressure, temperature, and humidity on race day.
Among these variables, interaction would sometimes cancel each other, and sometimes augment each other or "stack up".
I say this because an air cooled street bikes should never be tuned for the "ideal mixture", because someday it will encounter a "stack-up" day/place and the engine will operate too lean with the associated danger of detonation.  Because of this, carbureted street bikes of the era were tuned, on the rich side of ideal, and why some days the engine ran better than o other days.

The engine cylinder will fire with mixture ratios between 5:1 and 25:1. 14-15:1 is chemically ideal, and 12-13:1 produces best power.
Today's computer controlled and sensor laden fuel injection systems, can take all the variables and adjust mixtures for the current conditions encountered.  Carburetors can not, and must be adjusted for the best compromise, while ensuring the engine can't be damaged.

This may sound a bit preachy, but, if you want to understand how carbs do what they do and how to tune them, the info can be useful.

The danger you want to avoid is making one section of metering in the carb too rich, while another section is too lean.  The result can be an "average" plug reading looking ok, but a prolonged throttle setting at one position or another, will either foul plugs, or increase engine heat and even detonation events.  Hopefully this explains why noting throttle position is important.

Hope this helps, somewhat.
Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:31:17 pm »
Really interesting replies. TG the ignition is a brand new Dyna "S" with new Dyna 5 ohm coils. One would wonder if the spark was strong enough with the black appearing plugs. Looking deep into the plug there does seem to be a bit of brown color at the base of the electrode but basically plug is black. The black soot scrapes of with fingernail around the outside edge of plug. I have a "spark gap" tester and will try to see what the spark looks like over a 6MM span

Two tired - this is really helpful info on carburation. Yes, I'm not sure if its rich or lean on the bottom. It was so bad with the colder plugs that it wouldn't idle and just trying to keep it going at a light was difficult as throttle had to be held part open but engine struggled to get itself to rev up to the throttle opening. dropping throttle opening was instant stall. I did change plugs to D7 and re-syncd carbs with vacuum. #2 cylinder was out and once it was adjusted all 4 fell into line perfectly (Vacuum sync is a subtle art I'm finding). It ran much better after the sync as I described earlier and is driveable around town but just barely. Hwy is fine as described earlier. After reading your comments on how to tell rich/lean I'm almost thinking it's lean with slide vacuum as part of the problem as there is a slight improvement in running when I put the unipods on as opposed to new air filtration at all and there was just a fit of throttle hang up when reved in neutral. I think I'll try a bigger pilot (#42) as my next test.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 02:50:02 pm »
Hi Kemp, are you still not getting any reaction fom the air screws? You might set up a fan to help cool the engine after warming it up some. Set the idle a bit higher than normal and gently bottom the air screws, turning them out a 1/4 turn at a time. Wait a few seconds with each new setting for a reaction. Obviously you should find a spot where it idles at the highest rpm. If you get no reaction changing settings then the pilot circuit(s) must be blocked at least partially.

If it does change and the highest rpm is under a turn out from seated the pilot jet is too small, likewise too large if it idles fastest at over two turns out.

I have a 591 and with stock PD carbs I needed to ream the #42 pilot jet to equilalent #46. This took several attempts with a tapered reamer, surprised me too, but it idles like a kitten and takes throttle changes off idle perfectly now.

Good luck.  The VRRA is at Shannonville next weekend.

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 04:34:24 pm »
Hi Brian - Your PD carbs are different from my 069A. The air/mixture screw on yours is on the airbox side while mine i on engine side. I think turning air screw out on my carb leans out the mixture while on yours it richens the mixture but maybe the same principle applies. I'll try your method for the pilot.

anyway I had just finished changing the pilot to a #38. The result around town was increased hesitation and burble on opening throttle at low speed. Idle was nice no throttle hag when reved in neutral but not as nice as #40 when driving around town as hesitation/burble increased also didnt come clean when throttle opened but stumbled before slowly clearing its throat

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 05:34:16 pm »
Just built a 592cc engine with Dynoman 10.5 pistons, Web 58B cam, ported head, kipplewhite springs, dyna ignition and dyna 5 ohm coils, mac exhaust. Carbs are stock 74-76 CB550 with 110 main, #40 pilot, stock needles on 2nd clip from top. air screws at 1 1/2 turns and carbs very carefully cleaned and adjusted. This is a "ballpark" jetting guess for street use. Have a set of unipod filters which I've oiled and installed. carbs sync'd with vaccum gauges. Started out using D8ES ngk plugs.

The issue I'm having is erratic idle and poor low speed running. With the D8 plugs the engine would load up, staggering to rev from the bottom and with throttle hanging before returning or just idling high, turning down idle will cause stalling and generally it will stall anyway as it doesnt want to idle or even run in neutral without holding throttle on till it will finally rev a bit. Almost as if it is starving for fuel. Tried adjusting air screw in and out with no difference. Started running very rough the hotter it got. Checked the plugs and they were black but not wet.

changed to D7ES plugs and removed unipods. Set air screw at one turn out. Starts easily with choke but choke must be turned off immediately. Seemed to run better with idle between 1500-2000rpm, hesitates as you open throttle momentarily but clears and pulls well on part throttle. While running on part throttle it surges a bit and burbles. Opening throttle slight hesitation and then good acceleration again. A quick burst of wide open throttle should smooth strong acceleration especially as the tach went over 7000 rpm. As engine is fresh cannot hold it open to redline but it feels as if it has enough fuel up top. Still will not pu rev on blip for downshift , seems to stutter and can't clear its throat. Plugs look black again. Definately runs better but that could be due to new plugs or removing air filters. I'm a little confused as it seems to want fuel but runs better without air filters and still looks rich!

I have a very similar set up to you.

592cc 10.5:1 Dynoman
650 Cam
Mac 4-1 (Although I have a Sportster muffler with the baffle removed on it)
Unipods
D8ES ngk plugs
My carbs are '73
Dyna S
3 ohm coils
I'm not sure about the other jets as I've never had to fiddle with them but here are the things I have adjusted and the bike is very smooth.

Stock Needles: Top
Main Jet: 120
Float: 27mm (and this was the critical adjustment)
I also leaned out my idle screws by a 1/2 turn.

There is a little bubble at 1/4 throttle around town, but nothing that I even really think about anymore. And she is flawless on the highway. Plugs are a nice tan.

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 06:13:08 pm »
So the bike liked 2.5 turns out with air screw when looking for highest idle speed. This was with #38 pilots!! On the road it was worse as far as hesitation and wouldn't rev up on wide open throttle was hesitating and hunting almost like I'd lost a cylinder but not an improvement. It's possible that plugs are fouling again so will need to take a look at that. Don't understand why the plugs are so dark, maybe spark is poor. The Dyna S is supposed to work with 3-5 ohm Dyna coils and I have the 5 ohm installed.

Bluegreen - sounds like you went leaner on needle and air screw but went real big on the main jet. Are you running a stock airbox?

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 06:55:30 pm »
So the bike liked 2.5 turns out with air screw when looking for highest idle speed. This was with #38 pilots!! On the road it was worse as far as hesitation

The engine must have an over rich idle to make good throttle response off idle.  This is because when the slide opens, the vacuum drops from the sudden exposure to outside atmospheric pressure, and quickly reduces all jet flow.  You need to turn the idle screws inward and you do NOT need a larger pilot jet.  You only tune air screws on mechanical slide carbs with accelerator pumps for maximum idle speed.  Without Acc pumps, you are certain to have stumble with sudden slide opening.

and wouldn't rev up on wide open throttle was hesitating and hunting almost like I'd lost a cylinder but not an improvement.
I would do a throttle wide open full acceleration plug chop on clean plugs.  I wouldn't expect #98 mains to be large enough, particularly if your exhaust differs from the stock 4 into 1 system.  I'd go at least to #100 or even maybe #105.  Then get the plug chops at WOT to a good deposit pattern.  If your plugs are black with the slide needles in second clip from top, I expect your #110 main is too much.  After you get the main adjusted to deliver maximum need fuel at WOT with clean spark plugs, then you only need to address midrange mixture with slide needle position.
What I'd expect after getting the correct main is that you'll need to raise the needle to the 3rd or 4th notch.  Then go back and fine tune the air screw for smooth, reliable acceleration from idle when in any gear, and snapping the throttle to 1/2 of total remaining throttle travel.
There is a chance you will need a custom profile slide needle, given the other changes you made to the engine and intake tract.  But, selecting the correct main should be fairly straight forward, assuming you have a nice test track to flog it at maximum power.

maybe spark is poor. The Dyna S is supposed to work with 3-5 ohm Dyna coils and I have the 5 ohm installed.
Unless, your advance mechanism is dodgy, I doubt this is a spark issue.

About the foam filters.  You cannot squeeze out too much oil.  You CAN have too much oil, which blocks inlet tunnels through the foam, and increases the differential pressure across the membrane.  You want sticky little tunnels, not blocked little tunnels.

FYI, I hate pods on street bikes.   ;D 

Cheers,
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 07:10:00 pm »
Hi Brian - Your PD carbs are different from my 069A. The air/mixture screw on yours is on the airbox side while mine i on engine side. I think turning air screw out on my carb leans out the mixture while on yours it richens the mixture but maybe the same principle applies. I'll try your method for the pilot.

anyway I had just finished changing the pilot to a #38. The result around town was increased hesitation and burble on opening throttle at low speed. Idle was nice no throttle hag when reved in neutral but not as nice as #40 when driving around town as hesitation/burble increased also didnt come clean when throttle opened but stumbled before slowly clearing its throat

Think you're reversed, the 069's have actual airscrews, my PD's IMS screws are on the engine side.

My point was I needed to enlarge the pilot, raised the jet needle one groove, and run 117.5 mainjets instead of 90's stock, and one extra mm of fuel in the bowl. Granted two different type carbs, so this is only for the info not a recommendation.   

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 12:36:59 am »
So the bike liked 2.5 turns out with air screw when looking for highest idle speed. This was with #38 pilots!! On the road it was worse as far as hesitation and wouldn't rev up on wide open throttle was hesitating and hunting almost like I'd lost a cylinder but not an improvement. It's possible that plugs are fouling again so will need to take a look at that. Don't understand why the plugs are so dark, maybe spark is poor. The Dyna S is supposed to work with 3-5 ohm Dyna coils and I have the 5 ohm installed.

Bluegreen - sounds like you went leaner on needle and air screw but went real big on the main jet. Are you running a stock airbox?

No, as rich as I could with the needle (sorry I described that backwards :) )
I did lean with the floats though to 27mm, made all the difference.

There are three bikes in my shop all set up the same and they all run really well.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:39:01 am by Bluegreen »

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 11:36:02 am »
Very frustrated with loading pages in this index, twice now pages failed to load and all that time wasted. Maybe it hates photos.

Anyway thanks again to forum members, an absolute wealth of experience and knowledge out there.

TT - hard to believe I'm too rich on the main. Even stock CB550's want a 105 main and this is a fully modified 592cc motor. But, either ignition is weak or I'm too rich looking at plugs. Funny though on Hwy it had great acceleration and response and even seemed like I could go bigger. Backing off throttle just slowed down, no jump ahead.

Brian you are right, I had carb info wrong. My 069 have air screws.

Bluegreen - I see you've got big main jets and have a very rich needle setting also. Interseting that leaning out float level gave you good low speed idle but didn't starve wide open throttle.

I've got a set of carbs from an 1970's full Yoshimura race engine (592cc) raced in Manitoba back in the day . The carbs are 069 same as mine but it ran 115 main, needle on 4th clip down (rich) and #40 pilot with float level at 22 mm and air screw at 1.25 turns plus velocity stack. I'll clean em and try them at some point.

Today will test bike as it was last night. 110 main, #38 pilot at 2.5 turns, pods installed and D7EA plugs. See if it runs as poorly especially on Hwy. Then will try 1.5 turns out on pilot and see if better. If still poor I'll install new plugs and see if that brings it back to life.

Checked spark from coils and they jump a 8mm gap no issue. See pics of plugs

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 12:04:06 pm »
TT - hard to believe I'm too rich on the main. Even stock CB550's want a 105 main and this is a fully modified 592cc motor.
No stock Cb550 ever came with 105 mains.  Further, as the venturi shape, as well as other design elements, are different between the PD style carbs and earlier style carbs such as the 069a, direct jet size comparison between carb styles is not relevant.

One analysis of your situation is that your main is flooding the emulsion tubes so much that you must lower the needle to add restriction in order to get it to run, and even that is not enough to lean it properly.  This soots plugs as you drive it around on the street, where nearly all of the operation in on the slide needle jet.  (You have verified that the mains emulsion tubes are clean, yes?)

Think about this.  With the engine changes you made, the engine simply sucks harder on the carbs.  Displacement increase, cam volumetric increases, etc., the engine demands more air inlet volume.  As all fuel jet flow is directly derived from differential pressure between carb throat and outside atmospheric pressure, any jet placed it your carb is going to flow more and provide more fuel than they would in a a stock engine.  The cam grind may not allow that extra suction at idle due to overlap and timing of the valve opening and closing.  (Do you know the cam grind numbers?)  But, when the engine starts "working" with those new components at speed, it creates and much deeper vacuum in the carbs throats than the stock engine would.  With higher differential vacuum, ANY jet orifice is going to deliver more fuel.

I will reiterate, about the air screws.  They are for idle mixture setting, and throttle response behavior off idle.  I guarantee you will fail with these carbs if you insist on modifying mid-range mixture with those air screws.  Yes they have some effect.  But, you are robbing Peter to pay Paul in that endeavor.

Good luck!

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 03:28:03 pm »
Im going to follow this. Im hoping to have my engine together and be messing with the carbs by the end of summer.

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 06:23:00 pm »
Two Tired - I meant to say CB550 with pods generally liked the bigger main #105. I see what your saying about going smaller on the main and see what it does. I'll try that tomorrow.
I did try the bike again with the air screws at 2.5 turns and 1.5 turns and it actually ran a little worse with the air screw at 1.5.  I got a couple of opportunities to accelerate at wide open throttle and the bike would misfire as it passed 7500 rpm. I changed to a new set of D7EA plugs but the result was the same, misfire after 7500 with peak rpm 9500 and then it just stopped reving.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 06:59:44 pm »
I have heard/read of more than a few problems with the dyna2000 pickup failing your last post sounds like this isn't ruled out. It could also be one Carb running out of fuel at WOT. .  A shutdown at high revs and closing the petcock immediately could tell you if the carbs are at similar volumes of fuel. This gives you info on float height as set too low would lead to starvation issues for one or more cylinders.

BTW, have you enlarged and added additional emulsion tube holes per Hondman 's recommendations?
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 10:42:38 am »
RAF - Have not tried the Hondaman emulsion change although I believe it's biggest benefit was better fuel mileage. Been a long time since I read it though. Had checked carbs to see if fuel level was consistent and it was flowing freely. Tank petcock has two outlets. Am using inline fuel filters so it could be restricting flow. Will try your test

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 11:17:03 am »
Two Tired - I meant to say CB550 with pods generally liked the bigger main #105.
Yes, pods shorten the intake tract greatly and bring the atmospheric pressure closer to the carb throat.  Given no other changes, this demands ALL the fuel metering orifices in the carbs will deliver less fuel, as that is the same pressure source that is pushing the fuel through the jet orifices.

I did try the bike again with the air screws at 2.5 turns and 1.5 turns and it actually ran a little worse with the air screw at 1.5. 
This will change only when you get the bigger fuel metering devices (JN and Main) more in line with demands.
You will not get any large corrective gains at mid or full throttle with air screw changes.

I got a couple of opportunities to accelerate at wide open throttle and the bike would misfire as it passed 7500 rpm. I changed to a new set of D7EA plugs but the result was the same, misfire after 7500 with peak rpm 9500 and then it just stopped reving.
With respect, that is simply not enough information.  You need to read plug deposits while at WOT and under power, in order to determine if mixtures need to change, and in which direction.  This sets the max demand from the carburetors, and allows concentration on the mid-range fuel orifices.

Good luck!

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 12:32:37 pm »
Which set of the bored out carbs are you going to use? The intakes for each are different, do you have both?

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 06:06:16 pm »
Two Tired - Will be going back to the stock setup for the carbs and will proceed with dialing in main jet

FJ - I have both the PD and 069 carbs bored to 28mm. I plan to get both stock and the overbored carbs dialed in and then proceed with both sets to the Dyno for a fine tuning and a side by side comparo

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 01:13:59 pm »
Latest - rejetted carbs to a #100 main jet (stock is 98), left slow jet at #38 (stock) and needle at 2nd clip down from top (stock). Retained the Unipod filters and set air screws at 1.5 turns (stock). It still burbles and hesitates at low throttle openings and immediately off idle. accelerates smoothly and cleanly on part throttle and idles smoothly at 1200 rpm. Was able to give it wide open throttle through 2 gears a couple of times with the same result which is; bike accelerates hard till about 7000rpm then stars misfiring for about 1000 rpm till 8000 at which point it clears up and revs hard to redline (about 10,500) and beyond. I tried a plug check on almost new plugs and am starting to see a bit of color. Really needs a test road to do properly but at least the main is getting close. The misfire part way through the power bad is a bit strange, perhaps it is a little rich on the needle?

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 02:11:30 pm »
This is so strange. I have a stock bore 77 550k, 4 into 2, and pods. I run stock clip position 42 idles, 105 mains, and 1.5 turns out. I feel like I'm a little rich at idle and actually may need more fuel up top.
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout