Author Topic: Final shaft gear PLAY?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline stueveone

• Hot Shot
Final shaft gear PLAY?
« on: June 17, 2012, 05:15:52 pm »
Hey guys, quick question. Is it normal for the final drive shaft gear to have a bit of play? I have pressed the bearing on but there is a bit of wiggle in the gear. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Offline stueveone

• Hot Shot
Re: Final shaft gear PLAY?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 03:19:24 pm »
Anybody?

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 03:22:47 pm »
Are you talking inside the engine? If it's the outer chain sprocket they are meant to have some lateral play.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline stueveone

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:00:22 pm »
I'm talking about the gear inside the engine case, item #3 in the exploded diagram attached. It has lateral wiggle that I'm unsure on...

Thanks!

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 11:16:54 pm »
They often do have a bit of looseness, and that's a good thing on the K0-K2 engines in particular. They are mounted on those splines, which are not a perfect fit. The reason: when under power, especially the lower gears, a lot of torque is applied to the final drive bearing and the case around it flexes slightly. This lets it move (forward) a bit. The shaft then is at a slight angle inside the gear, so the gear would become misaligned at the teeth, which are trying to drive it in a parallel-face manner. So, the gear can stay straighter while the shaft angle underneath, and the splines have to take this load. Over time and miles, they get a little bit of arc-wear in them, and in the splines on the gear, so the gear then wiggles when you hand-test it.

Honda never published a spec for this wear limit, unless you infer one from their general spline-lash for the tranny, which is a few thousandths (that value escapes me at the moment, it's in the Tranny section of my book, though). In my experience, though: if you have the single-row final drive bearing on this shaft, a loose final drive gear is a real friction reducer, puts more power to the chain. In the later engines with the dual-row final drive bearing, the splines take a LONG time to show any looseness, and this allows the shaft bind to lose more HP right here, because the 2-row bearing has a wider face into the case, and can't move much.

The original designers of this engine were clever fellows who had designed the 250 and 305 engines, which were very similar in many respects. They used these flexes and wiggles to put more power and less wear to work in the bottom ends. It's fun to discover these things, years later.  ;)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline stueveone

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:24:29 pm »
Hondaman, you are the best around! Thanks man!!!