Author Topic: Engine leaking oil..  (Read 3839 times)

Offline chickenman_26

• Hot Shot
    • Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: Engine leaking oil..
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 07:40:48 am »
Thanks.  Do I need to yank the whole engine out? And how do these go bad? I bought it and it didn't do this ...now its doing this leaking.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
You don't need to pull the engine. Just remove the valve cover. Age and lack of use contribute to these things leaking. It's common. Old rubber parts harden and shrink.

Stu
MCN DTF

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 08:18:03 am »
Thanks.  Do I need to yank the whole engine out? And how do these go bad? I bought it and it didn't do this ...now its doing this leaking.

You don't need to pull the engine. Just remove the valve cover. Age and lack of use contribute to these things leaking. It's common. Old rubber parts harden and shrink.

Stu
+1  25 years ago we could care about things like low mileage, how it was used or abused. Now those don't matter (as much) as the sheer age factor overwhelms everything. At 40 years+, all the rubber parts, inside and out, are likely shot, cables and chains that look great are corroded internally past redemption, electrical coonnections the same robbing power, etc. 
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 09:26:53 am »
... and sometimes a fresh oil change or two in combination with usage will reveal leaks formerly blocked by gunk.
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)

Offline Gorwoc

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 10:39:00 am »
Maybe sit back and have another beer, go outside and catch a smoke. Just don't get frustrated yet. The wind blows that oil everywhere so look for the simplest explanation first.  I've tried the foot power spray and it worked but the engine has to be really really clean of oil before you put it on.  I'm not sure if you really need to ride it to show up though.  The wind will blow it around but it's oil pressure that puts it out there.  I think that just the running and revving that you'll do while trying to work through the other problems will pump some oil out for you to see.  I don't know about the "pucks" on the 550 but the 400f's leak spot is the rubber "doughnuts" that seal the oil passage around the head stud.  There you need to pull the head so it may not be such a big problem for you with these pucks. I agree with you in wondering why it's started up now.  I would expect that you would have seen a slight seepage first, not enough to drip yet.  Might want to spray up the tach drive seal to just to be sure you didn't miss something there.  Hey, at least it's not pouring out of the bottom of the engine... constantly... like something British.

Gorwoc

the man with no signature

Offline messeduptriple

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 01:47:41 pm »
Seems like its coming from the left side of the engine in the fins. Any thought on what next?